Natural Grocer grand opening

Dirtyhip

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

good luck, we're all counting on you :)

The weather is trying to mess with my ability to get carrots.  Like, plenty of snow on the ground and more predicted. On a positive note, I can buy frozen goods and likely get home before they melt.   The seek has been surprisingly good as my main rig for snow these days.  It was about 5 inches on the ground yesterday.  700c 40's, studded

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

700c 40's, studded

Do you swap wheelsets or swap tires?  We have snow on the trails & roads so infrequently that studs can't be used full--time, and buying them for use a couple times a year on a spare set of wheels makes no sense either :(  I WANT studded tires, but I can't justify studded tires :(

I always get excited at new grocery stores opening nearby, but now, it is a situation where I would have to buy about 20x more food to be able to actually visit each one regularly.  Sadly, convenience of just sticking to maybe 6 grocery stores makes it so I rarely hit the other ones.

SIX GROCERY STORES?

LOL, I have about three.  Now, four. 

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you swap wheelsets or swap tires?  We have snow on the trails & roads so infrequently that studs can't be used full--time, and buying them for use a couple times a year on a spare set of wheels makes no sense either :(  I WANT studded tires, but I can't justify studded tires :(

I always get excited at new grocery stores opening nearby, but now, it is a situation where I would have to buy about 20x more food to be able to actually visit each one regularly.  Sadly, convenience of just sticking to maybe 6 grocery stores makes it so I rarely hit the other ones.

My tires go on when the snow flies and we remove them when it is getting annoying on too much pavement.  I have other bikes to grab on beautiful sunny days. 

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

SIX GROCERY STORES?

Ha! Six I go to out of the 20+ that are walking/short riding distance. We have normal ones, bodega-style (Asian, Hispanic, or Indian) ones, the pseudo-ones (Target, CVS, etc) and I guess the three farmer's markets (in season & weekly). We try to hit TJs as #1, Harris Teeter as #2, Whole Foods as #3, then supplement with MOMs, Lotte, or the new Sprouts.  Random ones like Safeway, Giant, Balduccis, and the pending monstrous Wegmans are rarely on my radar, and Costco requires the car (but is huge for bulk purchases).

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ha! Six I go to out of the 20+ that are walking/short riding distance. We have normal ones, bodega-style (Asian, Hispanic, or Indian) ones, the pseudo-ones (Target, CVS, etc) and I guess the three farmer's markets (in season & weekly). We try to hit TJs as #1, Harris Teeter as #2, Whole Foods as #3, then supplement with MOMs, Lotte, or the new Sprouts.  Random ones like Safeway, Giant, Balduccis, and the pending monstrous Wegmans are rarely on my radar, and Costco requires the car (but is huge for bulk purchases).

Lucky.  Just that.  Lucky.  

Where u at again? 

Do you have a Lidl or a Wegman's close by?

I'm waiting for Lidl to open more stores in Maryland - and closer to me than the 30+ min. drive to it's Bowie, Maryland store.  It's supposedly opening several in 2020, but only the one in Catonsville is less than 40 minutes away.  The German chain began opening stores in the USA a couple years ago, starting around Atlanta and working its way north.

Lidl is like a supersized Aldi, also with its origins in Germany, and the prices are just as superb. It expanded into the UK and drove Walmart groceries out of business there.

On our way back from a relative's funeral in Virginia last year, my sister and I stopped at the new Lidl in Bowie on the way back and were blown away at the selection and prices.  It would mean burning an extra 2 or more gallons of gas plus and extra hour of driving to shop at that closest Lidl to me instead of Aldi/Walmart/Supermarkets in my area so I haven't been back.

But I'll be a regular customer once there's a closer one.  The closest Wegman's, a truly giant-sized supermarket, is 25 min. from me but there's so much there I find an excuse to shop there about once a month.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

LOLLOLOL....Clammy Falls isn't BFE...but if you squint hard you can almost make it out. Closest Lidl to Portland (and K Falls  is 5 or 6 hours from Portland) is NOVA. Welcome to your East Coast bias! :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I'm waiting for Lidl to open more stores in Maryland - and closer to me than the 30+ min. drive to it's Bowie, Maryland store.  It's supposedly opening several in 2020, but only the one in Catonsville is less than 40 minutes away.  The German chain began opening stores in the USA a couple years ago, starting around Atlanta and working its way north.

Lidl is like a supersized Aldi, also with its origins in Germany, and the prices are just as superb. It expanded into the UK and drove Walmart groceries out of business there.

On our way back from a relative's funeral in Virginia last year, my sister and I stopped at the new Lidl in Bowie on the way back and were blown away at the selection and prices.  It would mean burning an extra 2 or more gallons of gas plus and extra hour of driving to shop at that closest Lidl to me instead of Aldi/Walmart/Supermarkets in my area so I haven't been back.

But I'll be a regular customer once there's a closer one.  The closest Wegman's, a truly giant-sized supermarket, is 25 min. from me but there's so much there I find an excuse to shop there about once a month.

I could hit an Aldi on the way to my Costco and drive a little past Costco to hit a Lidl, but I've yet to try either.  Went to an Aldi years ago with my mom, and she still goes there.

Wegmans is under construction and due sometime this Spring. There is one (among many around here) a bit past that new one which is near our dog's Vet and the REI I sometimes go to, and my niece works there, so we have hit that a few times. My wife will have lunch with her sisters there since both shop heavily at Wegmans and they can also see my niece.  Wegmans is way overkill for me :D

We just lost our Fresh Thyme market. Kind of a small scale TJs. I work near the one here and it seemed to be doing fine. I did hear they closed 6 stores of similar size. Not sure of the reasoning on that. 
We have a HyVee, 2 Super Savers and 2 Walmart’s and a number of small Latinx and Asian markets. I liked Fresh Thyme. Going to miss them. 

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The weather is trying to mess with my ability to get carrots.  Like, plenty of snow on the ground and more predicted. On a positive note, I can buy frozen goods and likely get home before they melt.   The seek has been surprisingly good as my main rig for snow these days.  It was about 5 inches on the ground yesterday.  700c 40's, studded

Carrots make the perfect noses for snowmen and snowwomen.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did you get carrots, @Dirtyhip

Yeah, and mushrooms.

The place is crazy expensive.  I won't be shopping there regularly.  not impressed.

Their "bulk" section is just a bunch of pre bagged food.  My goals of container free life does not play well with this store.  

Their pill section was nutty.  The amount of supplements and vitamins was staggering.  It made me laugh.  

• Sad 2

On 1/14/2020 at 10:58 AM, Dirtyhip said:

SIX GROCERY STORES?

We have one grocery store nine miles away in one direction and a similar grocery store  nine miles in the other direction. They are both IGA (independent grocers of America) for more selection or better price we can go to a town twenty miles away.

There is an Amish bulk food store just down our road in an old Amish house. I have no idea what they sell. I have never gone in there. There is also discount grocery chip and dent Amish grocery about three miles away in a new building they built. I have never been in it either, I should probably check them out. A neighbor says I should check out the discount grocery. You never know what they are going to have but it’s alway at a good price.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Airehead said:

@Longjohn, I get oatmeal, nuts, and other staples at an Amish bulk. Also spices to refill containers. Good prices. Oddly, the also have bulk crap too. One example is the powdered orange cheese  like is in Kraft Mac and cheese, but by the pound.

The cheese plant near me sells that. I never bought any, don’t know what it’s used for.