Need essential oil help

Indy

My convertible is due for an essential oil change, I am trying to decide what to use.  I usually go with Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic, but didn't know what kind of essential oil everyone else preferred to use.

And is anyone up to date on who currently makes good essential oil filters?  Though I will probably stick with K&N.

• Awesome 1

My go to essential oil is Pennzoil.  I use to be a Quaker State guy.  Many years ago, in what seems like another life, I was a regional sales guy for Quaker State oil.  I use what ever grade is recommended for the vehicle and since I don't change my own essential oil in our 2 vehicles I don't bother to remember what that grade is (5-30, 10-30, 2-20 ??)   

The essentials are WD40 and duct tape.

Tend to think of automotive oils as conventional, full synthetic, and blend. Other than being required for the engine, never described it in terms of essential.

Typically, I prefer full synthetic with Mobil 1 and Castrol preferred. Typically check price of 5 qt jugs, usually best at Walmart, and add a quart or two depending on volume required for change. When I drove a Ford, typically got the Motorcraft blend which was super cheap. Have trouble finding filters for both the Fiat (clean filter in canister style) and presume my Mini (like BMW) has all maintenance included 3yr/36k which just expired and was letting the dealer do it at no charge.

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Have you considered Hinoki or bergamot?

No, but was looking at Rotella.  Supposed to be good stuff and they are now making a 5W-30, but no one seems to carry it yet other than Amazon.  Amazon doesn't save me enough to justify since everyone else takes my old oil for free, so to me, that's worth paying a little extra to support.

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

The essentials are WD40 and duct tape.

Tend to think of automotive oils as conventional, full synthetic, and blend. Other than being required for the engine, never described it in terms of essential.

Typically, I prefer full synthetic with Mobil 1 and Castrol preferred. Typically check price of 5 qt jugs, usually best at Walmart, and add a quart or two depending on volume required for change. When I drove a Ford, typically got the Motorcraft blend which was super cheap. Have trouble finding filters for both the Fiat (clean filter in canister style) and presume my Mini (like BMW) has all maintenance included 3yr/36k which just expired and was letting the dealer do it at no charge.

WD40 is crap.  Yes, it's get's things going, then causes it to seize up again because it's not a lubricant.  I prefer PB Blaster or better yet, Kroil.

This is the first essential oil thread where the oil is truly essential. My brother went through two engines in his Crown Vic because he forgot to change the oil. Ok it’s hard to believe someone would do that once but really two times on the same car. How can anyone have so much on their mind that they forget that?

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

This is the first essential oil thread where the oil is truly essential. My brother went through two engines in his Crown Vic because he forgot to change the oil. Ok it’s hard to believe someone would do that once but really two times on the same car. How can anyone have so much on their mind that they forget that?

And really, who would buy a Crown Vic and not know you had to add oil every other day? :lol:

• Haha 4

I like and have had no problems with Mobil 1 Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy, where I use 0W-20, which is currently $25.47 for 5 quarts at Walmart. I only have 47,000 miles on my car.  The other main version for the same price, which I think is recommended for 70,000+ mile motors, is Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance.  Both meet the "premium" and "API Certification" requirements in my car's manual.

I'm too lazy to change the oil myself anymore, but I found out I can bring my own synthetic oil to the garage I like, Precision Tune Auto Care in Severna Park, MD, instead of having them charge me $64 for 4 quarts.  My 2013 Honda Fit's manual calls for "premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification seal on the container."

I can get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-20, that meets all those requirements for $25 to $30 at Walmart each year. So I take the oil to the garage, tell them to keep the extra quart and pay around $25 for the servicing - including the usual extras like checking the brakes and sometimes rotating the tires, and drive away contented.  Since I've only driven about 6,000 miles/year while my joints healed over the past several years, my car's computer's oil change alert that begins with 15% of oil life remaining only kicks-on a year or more after an oil change.

Mobil 1 Synthetic comes in several confusing versions that all meet my manual's requirements, all of which Mobil recommends for my car (https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector). The two that are usually for sale (same price, currently $25.47) in 5-quart containers are Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy and Mobil 1 Extended Performance.  There's so little difference in their descriptions - Extended Performance may be recommended more for 70,000 mile motors and I have 46,000 - so I get the Advanced Fuel Economy.

image.png.ff816a1c6a515b1730e11540de0bcaef.png

been using Mobil 1 for years.

Oil and engine technology have advanced so much in past few decades that I'm not sure it really matters what oil you use.

Back when it still got cold here I could see the difference in how long it took for the oil pressure light to go out with synthetic vs conventional oil, and the engines with synthetic oil had noticeably less sludge, despite longer change cycles.   

I became a believer in synthetic oil with my experience in the service. Mineral based motor oils will carbonize and oxidize with the heat of engine operation, giving you "sludge". Even if you never start your engine, the oil will acidify in the oil pan. Synthetic oils can be made to withstand the high temperatures within the engine and, given complete filtration, can last indefinitely. When I had an automobile, I preferred Castrol because, at the time, the lubricant exceeded all standards of performance.