Bethlehem IS in Palestine. I was there.

MickinMD

On Friday, a Jeopardy contestant said the Church of the Nativity (in Bethlehem) is in Palestine and Alex Trebec said she was wrong, it's in Israel.

Today, Jeopardy is apologizing for their error and the news media is saying it is "controversial." (https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-addresses-controversial-bethlehem-amid-055505975.html).  You'd think that someone working for Jeopardy or the news media would have been among the hundreds of millions of tourists and pilgrims who have visited the Church of the Nativity - in Palestine.

There's nothing controversial.  Israel doesn't claim Bethlehem.  In 1999, we crossed the border from Israel to Palestine and our Israeli guide parked his tour bus in a Palestinian police station's parking lot in Bethlehem for safety and we walked up the hill to Manger Square and the Church of the Nativity.  It was July and Palestinian street vendors were selling 500 ml. (16.9 oz.) bottles of water (always make sure the cap seal is intact) for $1 compared to $2 at Israeli sites.  An Imam was screaming bitterly through a minaret's loudspeaker, saying "Americahn" and "Juden" often. Our guide said he was saying kill the Jews and the Americans and my shocked, Arabic-born students in Maryland confirmed that on my recording the following school year.  We ate at a Palestinian restaurant in Bethlehem where they thinly sliced beef or lamb off a roasted spindle to make "shawarma."

It's all in Palestine. No controversy!

Palestine is in Texas.  I have been there.  Lots of trucks.  You can park a tour bus anywhere.  They have churches on every corner, mostly Baptist, a few Methodist and even fewer of the cults like Lutherans and Catholics.
You can buy guns at Walmart and for lunch you can have thick slices of beef, cut of a brisket that has been slow smoked for hours.

On my recording you can find sweet little old ladies saying Bless Your Heart.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Palestine is in Texas.  I have been there.  Lots of trucks.  You can park a tour bus anywhere.  They have churches on every corner, mostly Baptist, a few Methodist and even fewer of the cults like Lutherans and Catholics.
You can buy guns at Walmart and for lunch you can have thick slices of beef, cut of a brisket that has been slow smoked for hours.

On my recording you can find sweet little old ladies saying Bless Your Heart.  

I  hate to disappoint you but Palestine is in Indiana. I drove through it last week.  Oh, you should also know that Texas is a very small town in Ohio. ;)

• Heart 2

Sorry to break it to you Mick but there is controversy ALL over this.  This reeks of a P&R thread.  The Church of the Nativity is in the West Bank - that is not in dispute.  Depending who you speak to it is..... a. Land belonging to the Palestinians.  b. Land that the Israelis took by force when the Palestinians tried to knock them around and they need to give it back.  c. It is land that is illegally occupied by Israel and they need to get out.  d. It is Israeli property and they haven't yet kicked the Palestinians out yet or e......

What it is not is un-controversial.  Just because you walked there and saw Palestinians does not make Jeopardy wrong.  Depending upon who you talk to.....

Thousands of people have died over that piece of dirt and thousands more will.  Pick your side but that doesn't make your answer to the question (or question to the answer in this case) right.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Sorry to break it to you Mick but there is controversy ALL over this.  This reeks of a P&R thread.  The Church of the Nativity is in the West Bank - that is not in dispute.  Depending who you speak to it is..... a. Land belonging to the Palestinians.  b. Land that the Israelis took by force when the Palestinians tried to knock them around and they need to give it back.  c. It is land that is illegally occupied by Israel and they need to get out.  d. It is Israeli property and they haven't yet kicked the Palestinians out yet or e......

or e.  Google says Bethlehem is in Palestine so it is in Palestine.

Capture.GIF.19bde3b4e7bc06c8ac803e319376eeb9.GIF

2 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

At the risk of getting this topic locked, there is a vocal group people who get bent out of shape when facts go against their religious views.  It is a controversy to them so it is real.

Good point. I get into a lot of arguments when I point out several non-religious things that the Bible says and are verified by archeology, etc. but some people just assume can't be true. I won't mention them here to avoid problems.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Good point. I get into a lot of arguments when I point out several non-religious things that the Bible says and are verified by archeology, etc. but some people just assume can't be true. I won't mention them here to avoid problems.

This is about geography and war and who owns what.  Tell a Israeli that they don't own the West Bank and see what kind of an argument you get.  Tell a Palestinian that they don't own the West Bank and see what kind of an argument you get.

This is on land more contested (read controversial) than any piece of dirt in the Middle East.

34 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This is about geography and war and who owns what.  Tell a Israeli that they don't own the West Bank and see what kind of an argument you get.  Tell a Palestinian that they don't own the West Bank and see what kind of an argument you get.

Wouldn't all that be opinion whereas the boarder was decided and defined in a treaty in 1949 that was agreed to by all parties involved.

46 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This is on land more contested (read controversial) than any piece of dirt in the Middle East.

Isn't this why we have Google and Wikipedia????

Jeebus, you azzhats (or, better yet, Kazzoohats!) make this sheot too difficult.