Warbird

dinneR

7 hours ago, donkpow said:

So what's the difference?

As in what sets apart a gravel bike? In a nutshell, slacker head tube, longer wheelbase & lower bb than a cross bike plus room for much wider tires & more mounts for stuff to carry.

My crosser is a serviceable gravel bike but I don’t plan any big days in the dirt.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

As in what sets apart a gravel bike? In a nutshell, slacker head tube, longer wheelbase & lower bb than a cross bike plus room for much wider tires & more mounts for stuff to carry.

My crosser is a serviceable gravel bike but I don’t plan any big days in the dirt.

That sounds like a touring bike to me.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

That sounds like a touring bike to me.

Yeah many similarities. Some of the gravel bikes are equipped for loaded bike packing.  It’s an interesting subset of the industry.  Some gravel bikes are designed for racing, some for loaded touring, some in between.  They make them from carbon, aluminum, steel & titanium.  

Interesting stuff.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, donkpow said:

So what's the difference?

Sorry, I thought you knew what the Warbird was and you were asking what's knew this year.

Chris is right, gravel bikes have a different geometry, tire clearance etc. Salsa has been at the forefront of designing gravel specific bikes for a while now. They started with the Las Cruces and then the ti version. They've got the Fargo, Vaya, Casseroll, Cutthroat, Journeyman, Warbird and now the Warroad.

A touring bike can work well on gravel, but a bike like the Warbird uses a much lighter frame material since it is not designed to carry a heavy load like a rake and panniers. A bikepacking set up is more minimalist. 

Lots of bikes work just fine on gravel, but a gravel specific bike makes a difference. 

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...