I can hear you now

Airehead

I have spent most of my life working in noisy environments, jet engines, race cars, the screaming subharmonics of operating lasers so there has been hearing damage.  A few years ago I accidently made a joke when I was taking measurements with a coworker who was giving me a running commentary on some data as I adjusted.  At one point I hollered at him "look at me so I can hear you".  That was when I realized that I had become a lip reader without realizing it.  :P

My hearing isn't that bad in a quiet room but I struggle in an environment where there is background noise.

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Can it mute the tinnitus that is in my left ear constantly?  I would love that.  Have not heard silence in at least a decade I would bet.  You get used to it, but still would be nice not to have it.

It is my understanding that some hearing aids can retrain listening to help with the tinnitus.  Signia is one manufactor that has info about this-- I only know this because I was recently ont heir website.  When was the last time you saw a good audiologist and ENT doc?

39 minutes ago, Airehead said:

It is my understanding that some hearing aids can retrain listening to help with the tinnitus.  Signia is one manufactor that has info about this-- I only know this because I was recently ont heir website.  When was the last time you saw a good audiologist and ENT doc?

Never

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Can it mute the tinnitus that is in my left ear constantly?  I would love that.  Have not heard silence in at least a decade I would bet.  You get used to it, but still would be nice not to have it.

I do not hear the crickets when wearing my hearing aids.  That is one of the first things I noticed with my first pair.  Mine are 'low tech' compared to Aire's.

• Heart 1

So glad you have found something that is improving your daily activities!  I hope it continues to work this well.   Plus I'm really surprised nobody responded with a post that just said "What?"  :nodhead:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, groupw said:

Very happy, Aire! Can you remind me of the brand you found? I’m going to be getting serious about them as soon as we get this Windows 10 conversion stuff to settle down. 

These are Signia brand. The Pure 312 Mx version is definitely worth looking at if you are at a moderate loss. For me I had to go to the 13p nx.  Hopefully you would not need those. My dad has the pure 312 also with very good experience. 
imhave had other brands over the years but Signia really seems to deliver for both my dad and myself. 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, jsharr said:

I had no idea. What treatment have you tried?

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I had no idea. What treatment have you tried?

Nothing really.  Dad has it, I got it in my forties and it has never left.  Asked my PCP about it, but she really has not made any suggestions, but I have not pushed the issue.  Usually it does not bother me, but sometimes I would love to not hear it.

I kind of like my 'crickets', they keep an 'old' man company when nothing else is happening. I've had them so long, that I don't know what normal is, except I don't hear them when wearing my hearing aids. Some have blamed it on deterioration with my diabetes, but I heard them long before my diagnosis.  Probably from playing the radio and tapes too loud in the pu.

My hearing aids are low tech bit a huge help.  Help with tinnitus too. My wife  and others say I also don't talk as loud with them as without.  Now I know someone is talking to me even if I am not looking right at them.  Only drawback is now I don't have an excuse when I want to ignore someone.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

My hearing aids are low tech bit a huge help.  Help with tinnitus too. My wife  and others say I also don't talk as loud with them as without.  Now I know someone is talking to me even if I am not looking right at them.  Only drawback is now I don't have an excuse when I want to ignore someone.

Fellow that had an office across the hall at Texas A&M, talked so loud it was very disturbing, even with my door closed.  Several years after I left he saw me at a meeting and apologized for talking so loud, since in the mean time he found he was very deaf and needed hearing aids.  I also like the fact with new hearing aids that they can adjust the directional input, so that some of the background noise is reduced.

• Heart 1

I’ve had the ringing since my 40s. I’m sure loud environments had a lot to do with it. Every once in a while it will quit for a few minutes. It’s so sudden it freaks me out, but it is nice when it happens. 
I’m just at the point where I miss a lot of conversation when there are more than a few people. I don’t want to be like my dad where he would just shut down, but sometimes I want to leave events early because trying to hear conversations exhausts me. 

I don't understand.  If you get hearing aids, then you can hear people that talk to you.  Why would you do that? 

On a serious note, my mom has some too.  They sound like the same as yours.  There is an app on her phone.  We constantly have to tell her "use your phone, turn me up".  I had to drive her Buick one day. Did you know that the center console of a Buick is designed to hold hearing aid batteries and tooth pickers?  True story, you can look it up.   

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

My dad says his tinnitus is gone when he consistently wears his hearing aids

• Heart 1

I think I shared this before, but it fits with the topic.  I visited my hearing aid doc and asked if he could adjust the hearing aids to aid in reducing background voices at local concerts.  He made the needed adjustments, which did help, and as I was leaving the office, he told me that I would probably not be able to hear my wife as well when driving, without turning my head.  I just smiled as I left the office.:whistle:

• Haha 1