So, have you ever extorted/blackmailed?

MoseySusan

I took a pitcher aside on the high school varsity softball team I coached and told her she was being demoted to the JV team, but it would help her in the long run because she'd be the scheduled starting pitcher every other game and could hopefully work her way out the wildness in her pitching.

I was shocked when she replied that if I demoted her, she would tell the school officials that I had been touching her inappropriately and making sexual suggestions!

Of course, I demoted her and immediately reported the incident to the Principal, etc.  The girl made the lying complaint.

The Principal told me he was going to report it to the County's Social Services because it would not take them long to discredit the girl.

The entire team was interviewed by the County's Social Services and backed me up. except for a few who said they didn't know anything either way.

Social Services took two days to dismiss the complaint.  BUT....

The assholes at the Board of Ed wanted a deeper study of it and we held meetings every week for a month - the father of the girl had some political standing in the county.

Finally, one of the mothers of one of my players came to me - I was, of course, still coaching the team - and said the mother of the girl who complained was making up stories about me and the mothers and fathers of the rest of the team were ready to testify that she was committing slander and libel against me.

So, at the next meeting, I asked the representative of the Board if he was prepared to defend me from slander and libel by making a charge against the girl's parents - who were present.  I told him that if he was not, I would have my personal attorney present at our next meeting in addition to the union attorney.  The faces of the parents reflected the fact they knew they had been exposed as liars.

The whole matter was settled to the Board's and Parents' satisfaction the next day.

I learned the squeaky wheel really does get the grease!  I had disputes with management about minor things like scheduling, assignment to certain duties, etc. after that, but I knew to be proactive and it proved to be the thing to do.

One of my honors students got the blackmailing girl pregnant the next year and she left our school. I didn't have to worry about what might happen the next season of softball. I kept my mouth shut but I really wanted the thank that student for knocking her up!

• Heart 4

• 3 months later...

As of today, yes.  I received this e-mail this afternoon:

𝙸 𝚍𝚘 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠, 𝟾𝟸𝟸𝟼𝟺𝟼𝟿𝟾𝟾𝟷𝟼𝟻𝟽𝟻𝟶, 𝚒𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚜 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍.

𝙸 𝚛𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚎 𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝟸𝟺 𝚑𝚛𝚜, 𝚘𝚛 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎.

𝙷𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎, 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚖𝚎. 𝙷𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞. 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚋 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚝 𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝, 𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚎 𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝚒𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚞𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝟷𝟺𝟷 𝚍𝚊𝚢𝚜.

𝚆𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚕𝚞𝚍𝚎𝚜, 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚋𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚟𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚘 𝚏𝚘𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚐𝚎, 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚋𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚢 𝙸 '𝚖 𝚌𝚛𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚞𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚕 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞.

𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚡𝚞𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚙𝚑𝚒𝚌 𝚠𝚎𝚋 𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚜, 𝚖𝚢 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚌 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚞𝚙 𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚢 𝚟𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚘 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚋𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚢 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚠𝚎𝚋 𝚌𝚊𝚖.
(𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝚊 𝚎𝚡𝚌𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚏𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚕𝚖𝚏𝚊𝚘)

𝙸 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐. 𝙸𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝙸 𝚊𝚖 𝚖𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍, 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚙𝚕𝚢 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚘𝚏 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚖𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝟷𝟶 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠.

𝙸𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚋𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍, 𝚌𝚘 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚎𝚛𝚜, 𝚋𝚘𝚜𝚜, 𝚖𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 (𝙸 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠! 𝙼𝚢 𝚜𝚘𝚏𝚝𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚖 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚖𝚕𝚢 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚝 𝚍𝚎𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚕𝚜).

𝚆𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎'𝚜 𝚎𝚢𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚝? 𝙸 𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚒𝚝...

𝙽𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜, 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑.

𝙸 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊 𝟷 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎, 𝚗𝚘 𝚗𝚎𝚐𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚘𝚏𝚏𝚎𝚛.

𝙱𝚞𝚢 𝚄𝚂𝙳 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝚒𝚗 𝚋𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚘𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚝 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚠 𝚊𝚍𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜:

13wCDVxH5XePJKDhXB*8z32cDo2HRKS9Wix
[𝚌𝚊𝚜𝚎-𝚂𝙴𝙽𝚂𝙸𝚃𝙸𝚅𝙴 𝚌𝚘𝚙𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎 𝚒𝚝, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚟𝚎 * 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚒𝚝]

(𝙸𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚑𝚘𝚠, 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚐𝚕𝚎 𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚞𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚘𝚒𝚗. 𝙳𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎)

𝙸𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚞𝚕𝚊𝚛 '𝚍𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗' (𝚕𝚎𝚝'𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚒𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝?). 𝙸𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝, 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚐𝚘 𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚌𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚊𝚐𝚊𝚒𝚗. 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙸'𝚟𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞. 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚊𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚞𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚞𝚕𝚊𝚛 𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚗𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚗.

𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝟸𝟺 𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚜𝚘. 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚊𝚜 𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚢 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚕. 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚗 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚕 𝚌𝚘𝚍𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚢 𝚖𝚎 𝚊𝚜 𝚜𝚘𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚒𝚕 𝚜𝚘 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚝.

I have been named in a couple of lawsuits for wrongful termination.  The only one we lost I was pressured by senior leadership to fire the guy so I wrote an email explaining my position and recommendation not to.  That email was gold during discovery and surprisingly my boss was the one reprimanded.

We had a manager who was sexually harassing a trainer and when we fired him he made a bunch of allegations & sued us for wrongful termination.  

The response from counsel was awesome.  For every demand to settle we just said see you in court.  They would send letters explaining the cost to defend and it better to settle. Response: We’d rather pay our attorneys than pay him. See you in court.  We eventually did settle but it was some ridiculously low amount. Less than $5K that I recall.   

On 1/16/2020 at 9:25 PM, MickinMD said:

Of course, I demoted her and immediately reported the incident to the Principal, etc.  The girl made the lying complaint.

At one point in may career, I had two eighth grade girls walk up to me in the hallway in front of the office and say, "How do you like our sexy walk?"  I bailed out of there and went straight to the principal. I explained everything and was darn near suspended that afternoon. He couldn't do it without an investigation, so he started one.

He called the two girls in and they told him the story of how I would have competitions in the classroom for the cutest girl.  The cutest girl would get to sit next to my desk.  It was a very elaborate story.

When he called in the rest of the students, one by one, no one would collaborate their story.

That didn't stop me from getting a formal reprimand.  It wasn't for doing anything sexual. It was for allowing myself to be put in a situation where students could accuse me of something.

Over the summer, I got a letter from the mother of one of the girls.  Basically, she apologized for everything and explained her daughter made everything up.  I took that letter to the principal and he still refused to take the reprimand out of my file.  His reasoning was that the reprimand was for allowing myself to be in a situation... which was true if the girls accused me.

That letter is still out there somewhere. 

13 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

At one point in may career, I had two eighth grade girls walk up to me in the hallway in front of the office and say, "How do you like our sexy walk?"  I bailed out of there and went straight to the principal. I explained everything and was darn near suspended that afternoon. He couldn't do it without an investigation, so he started one.

He called the two girls in and they told him the story of how I would have competitions in the classroom for the cutest girl.  The cutest girl would get to sit next to my desk.  It was a very elaborate story.

When he called in the rest of the students, one by one, no one would collaborate their story.

That didn't stop me from getting a formal reprimand.  It wasn't for doing anything sexual. It was for allowing myself to be put in a situation where students could accuse me of something.

Over the summer, I got a letter from the mother of one of the girls.  Basically, she apologized for everything and explained her daughter made everything up.  I took that letter to the principal and he still refused to take the reprimand out of my file.  His reasoning was that the reprimand was for allowing myself to be in a situation... which was true if the girls accused me.

That letter is still out there somewhere. 

Wow, your old boss sounds like a Scientologist. Or a sadistic asshole. 

I can't think of a case where I blackmailed anyone. As a teenager, I once told my next-door neighbor and classmate Lauretta that I'd tell her parents she had her boyfriend in the house during the day if she didn't show me her boobs, but she knew I was joking and called my bluff.

• Haha 1

@ChrisL your response reminds me of one L.D., Esq. who pestered me via email to change his daughter’s grade from a B to an A, and he closed every message with the phrase, “to avoid escalation.” I finally wrote him back with the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of each of my supervisors at progressively higher levels. 

• Heart 1

I wasn’t blackmailed, but I was very publicly accused of raping someone, then stealing and raising the baby by some crazy guy who had started dating someone I worked with seven years prior. I only became aware of it because in our company’s Facebook page, my name is right below that of the company president’s photo, so this guy mistakenly posted his rant against me on the Big Boss’s photo. Oh, and he emailed 200 of my colleagues, and tweeted all the local news stations, the Mayor, City Council, etc.

My boss only had once question for me, did I know this woman in anyway outside of the office. When I said no, that was it. I wanted to press charges, but the company attorney sent the police to their house and gave them a cease and desist directive. They took down all the posts and tweets (Twitter and Facebook were of NO help, btw, they did nothing on their own to remove the posts when notified), and the couple made some illogical excuse that the baby’s eyes looked like mine, which made no sense because there never was a baby, let alone no 7 yo child I’ve been secretly raising. But they found there is extensive mental illness in Boyfriend, the girl and her mother, so they just concluded it was a crazy story that they just ignored and didn’t push further with legal actions. Which was disappointing to me, but I didn’t want to start a personal civil case because they had no assets to go after in punishment, so it would have been a waste of my own time and money and energy. But yeah, that really sucked.

And I once got a threatening letter from the Scientologists threatening to sue me for something, I don’t remember what. But if you ignore them, they go away because they don’t want to spend money on anything.