Too cold for coffee?

BR46

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

The best third place locally is Teton Barbers. It's always busy so you have to wait and soak it up.

I'm in there one morning and one of the barbers says "I heard there is a car in the Snake River." Everyone is like no way, couldn't be true. She says"well that's what I heard."

I'm sitting next to a deputy from the Sheriff's dept. He's reading the paper not participating in the conversation. So the barber says "Tom, is it true?"

He lowers his paper and says "There's a car in the Snake."

Image result for tommy lee jones piering over paper

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We have two coffee shops close to the house.  A Starbucks that always has a line and a local joint called Pearl Cup.  If I had to go to one, I would choose Pearl Cup.

A bit further away we have Communion Coffee and I Love You a Latte.  Never been to either but hear good things.

We've got Starbucks everywhere but I would rarely choose them over the local joints. They are a "convenience" and "consistency" play.

So, for me, you have to go past a couple Starbucks to hit my local coffee "hotspot" - Weird Bros - which is in a mixed commercial area and almost too popular as it is often hard to find a seat.  At work is a whole different story as there are countless independents to support besides Starbucks (or Peets), like the Zekes across the road, or the hot chocolate place that serves La Colombe.  But, being the city during the work day, I don't see these as "community spots", but perhaps on weekends.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We've got Starbucks everywhere but I would rarely choose them over the local joints. They are a "convenience" and "consistency" play.

So, for me, you have to go past a couple Starbucks to hit my local coffee "hotspot" - Weird Bros - which is in a mixed commercial area and almost too popular as it is often hard to find a seat.  At work is a whole different story as there are countless independents to support besides Starbucks (or Peets), like the Zekes across the road, or the hot chocolate place that serves La Colombe.  But, being the city during the work day, I don't see these as "community spots", but perhaps on weekends.

I will leave work sometimes and go to one just to get out of Dodge City and break up my day.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Prior to retirement, did you get up and do this?  Or is this a recent up cropping?

The coffee shop was not open when I was heading off to work at 4am. I would stop every now and then on my way home from work and the occasional stop on Saturday morning. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

55 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I like to do the same thing. ....sitting in a chair watching the sunrise as people slowly come to life in the race pits. It's the silence in the pits before everything gets hectic. 

I once stayed in an Airbnb in northern Idaho that had a balcony adjacent to the gondola line that went up top to Silver Mountain. It was during summer time, but the experience of waking up in the morning and sitting out there and nursing a cup of joe and watching the cars disappear beyond the tree line only to reappear as it traversed it's way to the top was magical.

It's the simple things... all powered by that morning cup or two of coffee.

• Heart 1

I make my own coffee in the morning. But I like to visit a coffee shop as my afternoon break. It takes the edge off the day and in the winter it takes the chill off running in and out for service calls. 
We have a Starbucks. I used to enjoy it because previous managers really worked on the coffee house atmosphere and getting to know the customers. I haven’t seen that there for a while. I will still order from them once in a while just for variety. 
Locally owned, we have one called Baristas close to my work and one downtown called the Chocolate Bar. Both serve very good coffees. Baristas is a drive thru hut that has a second building connected with a patio and covered walkway. It keeps the coffee noise isolated so you can visit in peace the rest of the area. The Chocolate Bar is a coffee shop that serves several homemade cakes and truffles. It is probably the truest “coffee house” in town. 
The little town where I grew up has a great coffee house! It’s owned by a young woman who was my favorite barista when she worked here in town. She serves good coffee, breakfasts and lunch that is a great price for very good food. They have several small tables for those who want a quiet conversation and a giant table where the locals all gather to hang out. I sometimes ride my bike there. Sometimes WoW and I will do brunch when we take out the Miata. There are always old friends or parents of old friends that say hi and ask how my mom and other family are doing. If I have service calls that direction, I try to figure for lunch or my afternoon break there. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

At my age, I can't imagine going to a bar or a coffee shop and striking up random conversations with people I have never met.  I am worried I'd meet a guy like Dottie and would have to go to great lengths to extricate myself from him!

When I go, and I haven't for a while, I have no problem striking up a conversation with other patrons.  I often ask if they are local or just passing through. Thus, meet someone new and learn a bit about their life.  Otherwise, I just visit with a few of the regulars.  I've pretty well stopped going, except if I see a vehicle belonging to one of my customers.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

What if you have to have a bowel movement?  The best place to do that is at home before your morning shower.  Everyone knows this.  It is undeniable.

Wake up, make coffee (unless the coffee is already made by an automagic coffee maker) drink coffee, watch morning news, check social media and email and maybe do a little work remotely, then off to the back of the house to use the bathroom, shower, shave and dress to face the day.

How well do you adapt to change?:whistle:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The calm before the smell of nitro fills the air.

I've been there after sleeping in the cab of the tow truck once we arrived in the wee hours of the morning.  The crew chief was sleeping on one of the wheel rails on the trailer with the parachute popped out of the car to wrap up in.  Coffee and engine stew came next.

Engine stew:

Hot dogs or similar meat

various vegitables

a splash of water

Wrap in tin foil and cook between the engine block and exhaust manifold of the tow truck. (next to the cans of 90wt oil being warmed to a consistency thin enough to pour.)

But we were appy in those days we were.

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Enjoying  the morning cup of coffee as the sun rises over the fuel depot in the final race of the season. 

20181004_070131.thumb.jpg.dbdafb8af26f8380c2f82c33ec5525a9.jpg

Early morning track walk 

20181003_170855.thumb.jpg.188aa0d12389fa92f59c1c3698da5f99.jpg

Reminds me of RC racing days. We would race until dark on Saturday. We would be back on Sunday morning usually enjoying our breakfast and a coffee while seeing how the track changed overnight.  Usually pretty peaceful until the first board breakers started up. Usually the guys who had a terrible Saturday and needed to be sure their cars were at least operational. We would let them lay down a little rubber and castor oil before we would go out ourselves. 

Coffee shops are great road bike destinations because they often offer outside seating and you can either warms yourself up with a warm beverage or buy a bottle of water or juice so you can enjoy the seating.  I find it much more preferable than going to a restaurant and paying a larger bill to sit and getting a gut bomb for the ride home or worse paying something cheap for fast food.  Yuk.  Coffee shops offer snacks -- often healthy snacks -- that won't destroy you making your return trip home.  Yes, if I can find a park bench or trail bench or nice grassy area that works too.  But I can't get anything warm there (easily).  A lot of coffee shops around here make great bike stops.  There's a lot of them and they tend to be in close proximity to trails and back roads.  I don't mind travelling another half a mile or more to go to one if it's not on my route.  They serve as excellent pit stops or destinations in fact.

20 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Coffee shops are great road bike destinations because they often offer outside seating and you can either warms yourself up with a warm beverage or buy a bottle of water or juice so you can enjoy the seating.  I find it much more preferable than going to a restaurant and paying a larger bill to sit and getting a gut bomb for the ride home or worse paying something cheap for fast food.  Yuk.  Coffee shops offer snacks -- often healthy snacks -- that won't destroy you making your return trip home.  Yes, if I can find a park bench or trail bench or nice grassy area that works too.  But I can't get anything warm there (easily).  A lot of coffee shops around here make great bike stops.  There's a lot of them and they tend to be in close proximity to trails and back roads.  I don't mind travelling another half a mile or more to go to one if it's not on my route.  They serve as excellent pit stops or destinations in fact.

One would think, but some folks disagree! Luckily, this sorted itself out.

---------------------------------------

A cafe embroiled in a row with its neighbours over ‘nuisance’ cyclists has seen a surge in people stopping by thanks to the publicity the complaint attracted. Cycling stars leapt to the defence of the Velolife cafe and bike workshop in the small hamlet of Warren Row, Berkshire, after the council threatened enforcement action against cycle clubs using the car park for its meets. The cafe was championed by the likes of former Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman and Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless after news of noise complaints emerged. Velolife owner Lee Goodwin, who opened the cafe on the site of an old pub in 2016, said dozens of new customers showed up to express their support on Sunday after the row was made public.

Last year, an inspector from the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead banned the cafe’s use as a meeting point for cyclists after one set of neighbours said up to 20 people had been congregating in the car park. An injunction, seen by the Telegraph, was later sought against the cafe and local clubs were threatened with enforcement action after cyclists were said to have met at the cafe in January. It banned the cafe’s use by ‘congregating cyclists, including but not limited to, cycle club members arriving by any means including car, van or cycle, at any time of day or night,’ the Telegraph reported. But after an outcry from cyclists, last week the council issued a clarification stating: ‘Cyclists are welcome to use the facilities at the cafe but must not arrange organised meets that start, end or stop at the cafe. ‘This is to prevent large numbers of cyclists congregating outside the cafe and causing a nuisance to residents.’ It apologised for suggesting it would take enforcement action. Olympic gold medallist Boardman wrote on Twitter: ‘This isn’t motorcycle gangs, drunks or even noisy people, it’s mostly middle-aged people getting some exercise with their friends.’ He said it was a ‘solution looking for a problem’ while Ineos rider Lawless described the council as ‘a joke’.

52 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yes, we often ride down to the European Bakery and split a coffee and a goody.

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

Just now, late said:

Of course.

They also have strudel, but they don't sell it by the piece. So every time I go there I am tortured by the sight of beautiful streudel inches away.

I feel your pain. That would be torture! SHAME on them for not selling by the piece.

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel your pain. That would be torture! SHAME on them for not selling by the piece.

When I was a kid, there was a streudel place in Kport. We would all pile in the car occasionally, and drive down there to get struedel. It was amazing. It was also all they sold.

Streudel holds a special place in my heart.

Just now, BR46 said:

Wo46 and I will bicycle 18 miles round trip to split a DQ mini blizzard. 

One of these days I gotta remember to hit the DQ.  I think it was @dennis and Dilly Bars, but I'm up for any of it. My challenge is it is at the 1 mile from the start or 1 mile from the finish point for my rides, and I don't like to stop at either of those times :(

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

One of these days I gotta remember to hit the DQ.  I think it was @dennis and Dilly Bars, but I'm up for any of it. My challenge is it is at the 1 mile from the start or 1 mile from the finish point for my rides, and I don't like to stop at either of those times :(

Adapt. Be malleable fer gawdsakes.

5 hours ago, dennis said:

The best third place locally is Teton Barbers. It's always busy so you have to wait and soak it up.

I'm in there one morning and one of the barbers says "I heard there is a car in the Snake River." Everyone is like no way, couldn't be true. She says"well that's what I heard."

I'm sitting next to a deputy from the Sheriff's dept. He's reading the paper not participating in the conversation. So the barber says "Tom, is it true?"

He lowers his paper and says "There's a car in the Snake."

Yup, sounds like Mayberry!

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Buster bars. Nature's perfect frozen food.

Image result for buster bars

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Buster bars. Nature's perfect frozen food.

Image result for buster bars

I bet they make those on site in a cup with some peanuts and soft serve and then dip then once they freeze.

When I win the lottery and have my dream kitchen, it is going to have a DQ machine and one of those melted chocolate dipping stations in it.

Probably will be next to the giant flat top grill like Benihana has.

May put a second one in the outdoor kitchen.

You have a standing invite to stop by any time and make yourself one.

• Heart 1