Acarbose (Precose) anyone? it limits intestinal sugar absorption

MickinMD

Another damn pill.

My doctor strongly recommends a generic pill call acarbose (brand name Precose). It allegedly doesn't seriously mess with the body's biology, it just inhibits some enzymes from fully working and digesting some complex carbs (sugars, etc.) and moving them into the bloodstream.  This keeps type II diabetics blood sugar levels from spiking and has caused weight loss in some type II diabetics.

There is, though, a whole shitload (pun intended) of side effects that mostly have to do with intestinal stuff. Wikipedia says " It is cheap and popular in China, but not in the U.S. One physician explains the use in the U.S. is limited because it is not potent enough to justify the side effects [in a small percentage of people] of diarrhea and flatulence.

It is a starch blocker, and inhibits alpha glucosidase, an intestinal enzyme that releases glucose from larger carbohydrates. It is composed of an acarviosin moiety with a maltose at the reducing terminus."

I'm told to only take it with meals. I'll give it a shot and take it as long as I don't get hit with the side effects.

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Another damn pill.

My doctor strongly recommends a generic pill call acarbose (brand name Precose). It allegedly doesn't seriously mess with the body's biology, it just inhibits some enzymes from fully working and digesting some complex carbs (sugars, etc.) and moving them into the bloodstream.  This keeps type II diabetics blood sugar levels from spiking and has caused weight loss in some type II diabetics.

There is, though, a whole shitload (pun intended) of side effects that mostly have to do with intestinal stuff. Wikipedia says " It is cheap and popular in China, but not in the U.S. One physician explains the use in the U.S. is limited because it is not potent enough to justify the side effects [in a small percentage of people] of diarrhea and flatulence.

It is a starch blocker, and inhibits alpha glucosidase, an intestinal enzyme that releases glucose from larger carbohydrates. It is composed of an acarviosin moiety with a maltose at the reducing terminus."

I'm told to only take it with meals. I'll give it a shot and take it as long as I don't get hit with the side effects.

Why not just eat healthier?

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Further said:

Years ago I worked with a guy who lost a lot of weight using the 'fat blockers' he shit himself so often that he kept several changes of clothes at work. Seemed a steep price to me.

If that happens to me, I'll stop doing it. What I'm taking is not a fat blocker, it slows down how fast sugar goes into the blood. I've lost 10 pounds in the past 3 months and think my sub-2000 Cal./day diet will work fine. If this works better, that's fine with.

3 hours ago, dennis said:

Why not just eat healthier?

It's not a matter of eating healthier, it's a matter of keeping my blood sugar from spiking even when I eat some healthy foods.  This med is aimed at the rapid release of sugars and complex carbs into the bloodstream of bananas, bread, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peaches, muesli and other cereals, watermelon, and occasional snacks - mid to hi GI Index food.  Even vegetable soup is a mid-GI index food.

I have been eating healthier and have lost 10 lbs in the past 3 months.  My 2020 spending record spreadsheet is divided into heathier groceries ($95.65) and processed groceries ($23.62). I think that's reasonable!

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

It's not a matter of eating healthier, it's a matter of keeping my blood sugar from spiking even when I eat some healthy foods.  This med is aimed at the rapid release of sugars and complex carbs into the bloodstream of bananas, bread, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peaches, muesli and other cereals, watermelon, and occasional snacks - mid to hi GI Index food.  Even vegetable soup is a mid-GI index food.

I have been eating healthier and have lost 10 lbs in the past 3 months.  My 2020 spending record spreadsheet is divided into heathier groceries ($95.65) and processed groceries ($23.62). I think that's reasonable!

Most cereals are full of sugar. Your body processes whole grains slower than non-whole grains like white flour/bread and white rice.

Try this on for size

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/12/676169439/the-truth-about-carbs-and-calories

The Moroccan sauce is awesome.

image.png.d3c1c4aee2a9e9d8f87ae97b1162aa0d.png

We are not here to vilify carbs — they're fuel for our bodies — but not all carbs are created equal. We look at the science behind why eating too much starch isn't good for you and share four tips to help you integrate grains into your diet.

1. Not all calories act the same in the body.

Just because two foods have the same number of calories doesn't mean they're equal health-wise. "We've known for decades, if not a century, that different foods affect the body differently, apart from their calorie content," says David Ludwig, a professor of nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the founder of a weight loss center at Boston Children's Hospital.

If you take white bread and whole-grain wheat kernels that have about the same number of calories, the whole grain has so much more going for it. Eating minimally processed grain like wheat berries, whole oats, barley and rye is better for you than superprocessed white bread. Ludwig says that's because they take longer to digest. "Blood sugar rises relatively more gently. You produce less insulin, calorie for calorie."

When you eat white bread, on the other hand, all the good-for-you stuff is processed out of the bread, leaving a bunch of starch, which can raise blood sugar and insulin, potentially stimulating hunger and maybe even slowing down your metabolism.

2. Refined carbs quickly turn to sugar in your body.

You've heard to cut back on sugar. But consider this: Ultra-refined grains (whether it's crackers, baguettes or white bread) are just one step away from turning into sugar in our bodies. And as we just outlined, ultra-processed, starchy foods can raise blood sugar and insulin. Ludwig says this can direct calories more into storage and fat cells, meaning "there are fewer calories available for the rest of the body, for the organs, the muscles and the brain," he says. "That's why we get hungry."

Don't worry — you can still eat bread. There are just much better options than white bread. For example, traditional pumpernickel, sourdough or other whole grains.

What does the phrase "whole grains" really mean? Whole grains have three parts. In the center, there is a germ. Think of it as a tiny packet of nutrients — it has protein and a few essential fatty acids. Then there is the bran, which is fiber — that's good for digestive health. The third part of the grain is called endosperm, which is usually what's left in processed carbs. It's really just starch. However, when you eat whole grains, you get all three parts.

3. Treat bread like dessert. (Eat it last.)

A study a few years back gave people bread rolls at the end of a meal versus the beginning of a meal. The researchers found, on average, that the people who ate those rolls at the end had about a 30% lower peak in their blood sugar. If you love breads and muffins, save them for the end of your meal.

"There's that expression, 'Life is short — eat dessert first.' Not in this case," says Ludwig. "Dessert is designed to come after the meal, when your stomach has already got protein, healthy fats and fiber slowing down digestion."

4. Eat whole foods, healthy fats and protein.

Focus on reducing highly processed carbohydrates and replacing them with whole fruits, beans, nuts and a variety of healthy fats, making sure to get enough protein. And remember not to be afraid of minimally processed "slow" carbs.

So how do we put this into practice in the kitchen? Dawn Ludwig, a professional chef, takes David Ludwig's science and translates it into practical meal tips. (They also happen to be married.) She shared some sauce recipes with us that she uses to dress up veggies, protein or whole grains — her secret sauces, if you will.

I don't get this weekend to see if my intestines are wrecked by this stuff.

The auto-message monster at CVS said my prescription would be ready by 4 pm, Friday.

I phoned and they said they don't have in stock as they expected.

I said I'll wait for Saturday's "wintry mix" to disappear and pick it up Sunday or Monday.

31 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't get this weekend to see if my intestines are wrecked by this stuff.

The auto-message monster at CVS said my prescription would be ready by 4 pm, Friday.

I phoned and they said they don't have in stock as they expected.

I said I'll wait for Saturday's "wintry mix" to disappear and pick it up Sunday or Monday.

I had asked my sisters (6 of the 9 of us are diabetic) and none have ever taken it.

Metformin was rough on my stomach at first but I got used to it.  Hoping it doesn’t mess you up. 

I work hard to stay off of medication.  No medication is without an unintended side effect.

Cholesterol got too high when I was in my 20's, I started eating better.  Less McDonalds, less junk.

Sugar has been getting too high, I eat fewer carbs.

Had hypertension for decades, was medicated, started exercising, lost weight, no more drugs.

I get it, some people are stuck with a crappy hand and need meds, but so many "diseases" are self inflicted.  

Eat better, step away from the TV.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I work hard to stay off of medication.  No medication is without an unintended side effect.

Cholesterol got too high when I was in my 20's, I started eating better.  Less McDonalds, less junk.

Sugar has been getting too high, I eat fewer carbs.

Had hypertension for decades, was medicated, started exercising, lost weight, no more drugs.

I get it, some people are stuck with a crappy hand and need meds, but so many "diseases" are self inflicted.  

Eat better, step away from the TV.

Good advice. I'm hoping the meds are a stopgap to some extent while I continue to lose weight.

Note that the big topic of conversation at my family's gatherings is, "What are you taking for your diabetes?" - thin, fat, young, old.  The amount of meds I'm taking for it has decreased and my sugar levels are good, it's just that they spike unexpectedly sometimes and that's what this addresses.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Good advice. I'm hoping the meds are a stopgap to some extent while I continue to lose weight.

Note that the big topic of conversation at my family's gatherings is, "What are you taking for your diabetes?" - thin, fat, young, old.  The amount of meds I'm taking for it has decreased and my sugar levels are good, it's just that they spike unexpectedly sometimes and that's what this addresses.

Just out of curiousity, when do you see these spikes?  Is there any pattern?  Eating regular, even small amounts seemed to help mine when I was on medication, before going to insulin.  Not eating and going out to work could cause spikes in my bg. Almost as if my body was overcompensating for my energy needs. Know we are all different, but trying to find a pattern can be very helpful for you and your doctors.

• Heart 2