How many have ever watched

maddmaxx

Episode 1 of Star Trek, originally aired september 8 1966?

I watched it today and I don't remember watching it back then.  I'm thinking that we didn't get into watching it for the first few weeks of the season as I was living in a school barracks in Key West FL back then and we only had one television in the day room that was used for what the majority wanted to see at any given time.  I guess I expected more, but 50 year old technology in the television industry no longer impresses.  I'm a bit surprised because one can go back and find very good movies even before that.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I watched it today and I don't remember watching it back then.  I'm thinking that we didn't get into watching it for the first few weeks of the season as I was living in a school barracks in Key West FL back then and we only had one television in the day room that was used for what the majority wanted to see at any given time.  I guess I expected more, but 50 year old technology in the television industry no longer impresses.  I'm a bit surprised because one can go back and find very good movies even before that.

The first of two pilot episodes, "The Cage" didn't have Kirk as the captain, it had Captain Christopher Pike, Spock, no Dr. McCoy, and parts of that pilot were used in a later Star Trek episode.

The official series first episode, "The Man Trap," was about a salt-sucking, murdering alien masquerading as on old love of Dr. McCoy.

In that episode, we see "Phasers on stun!" for the first time, but it's the only episode where the result is the person stunned wakes up groggy.

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I was 12 YO at the time and watched it. We had a huge 25" color TV. I was hooked.

I was 12 too at the time.  No color TV, but I was hooked too.    My wife likes the original cast too.   We watched all of the episodes on Hulu last year.  

I have seen both pilots. Dad wasn’t into sci-fi and I was only 4 when it originally aired. However we watched it in syndication in the mid 70s after school. It hasn’t aged well, but you have to remember TV budgets were crap back then for special effects and story lines had to pass muster with the network and Standards and Practices- neither of which were concerned about quality. 

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was  -1 years old.

I was a couple of months shy of my 13th birthday when it first aired, but I did not watch it first time around.

I have watched the entire series including the pilot episodes in reruns, more than once, and actually catching an episode now and then on Netflix now.

The effects and story lines were certainly hokey, but that's what makes them fun.

I think my favorite episode was the Squire of Gothos with William Campbell as General Trelane. He went on to play a Klingon in a later series.

But to me, William Campbell will always be Jerry Austin.

The actress who played Doctor Pulaski in NG was in the original episodes.

I didn't start watching Star Trek until the '70's in syndication.  Mrs. Silly and I recently watched a couple episodes of the original series.  The thing I noticed is that it was much darker than I remembered.

5 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

The actress who played Doctor Pulaski in NG was in the original episodes.

I didn't start watching Star Trek until the '70's in syndication.  Mrs. Silly and I recently watched a couple episodes of the original series.  The thing I noticed is that it was much darker than I remembered.

Great improvements have been made in modern television lighting.

21 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Wasn't alive for the first airing, and don't think I have seen it since.  I've seen the series in non-sequential order, and probably only a fraction of the total.  Seen most of the Shatner Trek movies, but not a hardcore fan.

I was 14 in 1966, but dont recall watching Star Trek until I was in college, when it was in reruns. I like the story lines of the original series.  I felt The Next Generation was the best series. Gene Rodenberry was involved with TNG.  Deep Space 9 and Voyager were decent series.  Never watched Enterprise that much.

9 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I was 14 in 1966, but dont recall watching Star Trek until I was in college, when it was in reruns. I like the story lines of the original series.  I felt The Next Generation was the best series. Gene Rodenberry was involved with TNG.  Deep Space 9 and Voyager were decent series.  Never watched Enterprise that much.

Yeah, it was on twice a day while I was in college.

• Heart 1