Cowboy Chicken (alleged) and Mashed Potatoes

MickinMD

I've just had the first frozen-food, dark-meat chicken that I really liked.  It had bones and skin and was not breaded, but was baked with enough seasoning and with just a trace of oil that it was very good. Most of the frozen pre-cooked chicken I've tried before were dry, breaded pieces without much chicken hidden inside or tiny pieces.

While shopping after waiting and seeing my doctor at 3 pm for a 1:30 pm appointment, I wondered if I'd feel like cooking dinner.  In the frozen food section I spied "Banquet Mega Meats Cowboy Chicken with Homestyle Mashed Potatoes," 450 Cal, 13.4 oz, $2.97. There's about 10 oz. of chicken. The 450 Cal and the price sold me on enough ounces to satiate me for dinner. The 1470 mg Sodium is a little high but ok with me and the same a two pieces of KFC Chicken. The whole pieces, a drumstick and a thigh, surprised me.  They were decent sized, moist, and "herb seasoned" enough to taste very good. The "homestyle" mashed potatoes tasted fine but were slightly watery and clearly made from a dry potato flakes.

Cowboy Chicken recipes on the internet are usually a southwestern deal with salsa, mustard and sugar or a mix of peppers, onions, corn, etc.  But this herb-seasoned chicken works for me and is a filling 450 Cal (I added maybe another 30 Cal of butter).  I'll keep a couple in my freezer in the future.  The package below says 510 Calories, my box says 450:

468505135_BanquetMegaMeatsCowboyChickenMashedPotatoes.thumb.jpg.58544a173d07994284b0d0ac4b6059f1.jpg

Is this a healthy or non-healthy food? At $3.00 I'd be worried about the source of this food.

Think about food as medicine.

: HERB ROASTED CHICKEN: Chicken Thigh and Drumstick, Water, contains 2% or less of: Salt, Modified Rice Starch, Dextrose, Dehydrated Garlic, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphates, Garlic Powder, Spices, Onion Powder, Natural Butter Flavor (Whey, Enzyme Modified Butter, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dehydrated Butter, Guar Gum), Annatto (Color), Dehydrated Celery, Dehydrated Onion, Dried Parsley, Turmeric. MASHED POTATOES: Rehydrated Potato Flakes and Granules (Water, Potatoes, Mono- and Diglycerides, Citric Acid, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate, BHT, Sodium Bisulfite), Margarine (Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monoglycerides, Sodium Benzoate, Soy Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene , Vitamin D3, Natural and Artificial Flavor), Cream, Soybean Oil, Nonfat Dry Milk, Salt, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Flavoring, Green Onions. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

Is this a healthy or non-healthy food? At $3.00 I'd be worried about the source of this food.

Think about food as medicine.

: HERB ROASTED CHICKEN: Chicken Thigh and Drumstick, Water, contains 2% or less of: Salt, Modified Rice Starch, Dextrose, Dehydrated Garlic, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphates, Garlic Powder, Spices, Onion Powder, Natural Butter Flavor (Whey, Enzyme Modified Butter, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dehydrated Butter, Guar Gum), Annatto (Color), Dehydrated Celery, Dehydrated Onion, Dried Parsley, Turmeric. MASHED POTATOES: Rehydrated Potato Flakes and Granules (Water, Potatoes, Mono- and Diglycerides, Citric Acid, Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate, BHT, Sodium Bisulfite), Margarine (Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monoglycerides, Sodium Benzoate, Soy Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene , Vitamin D3, Natural and Artificial Flavor), Cream, Soybean Oil, Nonfat Dry Milk, Salt, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Flavoring, Green Onions. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY.

That was my concern.