This is either sad or great!

Scrapr

4 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

The mountains have just got pounded this week with snow. 4-6 feet of snow. Which brought the snowpack from 30% to 80% of normal. Sad because still at 80%   But great because we're at 80%! The last big snow was just after Thanksgiving. 80% ain't nothing. But we'll need some more storms before it's all said and done. @Dirtyhip may be having issues biking to work

On the other hand snowshoeing yesterday was epic. The deepest I've ever been. Every step was 18-24". That was a workout. Sorry no pictures as o lost my phone in the snow. A couple using the trail we broke found it & returned it last night

Holy crap. That's serious snowshoeing!! And fantastic luck that someone found your phone!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

You mean something like this:  https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/snowshoeing-humble-snow-steps-in-canadas-vastness-and-history/

For sure, snowshoeing gets you into areas, that x-skiing can't.

spacer.png

yeah, exactly like that. Last week i used my big pair of 'shoes. This week my middle size. These middle ones seemed to handle the snow pretty good. Others in our party had MSRs which i have poo pooed as not "manly" enough. After seeing them in the big snow I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Oh, and some poles. I've never had to use them before. Except yesterday would have helped a lot. 

I fell into a tree well too. Could only see the top part of the tree and got too close to it. It looked like a tiny thing but there must have been 4' or more below the snow. I can see how people get in trouble there. It was a beotch to get out. 

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

yeah, exactly like that. Last week i used my big pair of 'shoes. This week my middle size. These middle ones seemed to handle the snow pretty good. Others in our party had MSRs which i have poo pooed as not "manly" enough. After seeing them in the big snow I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Oh, and some poles. I've never had to use them before. Except yesterday would have helped a lot. 

I fell into a tree well too. Could only see the top part of the tree and got too close to it. It looked like a tiny thing but there must have been 4' or more below the snow. I can see how people get in trouble there. It was a beotch to get out. 

Tree wells are super dangerous. Stay safe out there.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

We each pair of MSR......we bought them nearly 20 yrs. ago...when snowshoeing not as popular as now.  We bought them when we had first access to mountain trails...after moving to British Columbia.

Now, with so much choice in styles..I probably could use a slightly slimmer pair, because my frame width/size is petite.

DSCN5183.JPG

tramline2.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Scrapr said:

When I was a teenager snowshoeing in the Adirondacks, I fell about 10 ft into a tree well. Had a hell of a time getting out, even with help.

• Heart 1

Great pics, and stories.  

It's snowpocalypse down here.  I'm hitching a ride today.  I could ski, but I feel very lazy.  Very thankful that we are catching up the snow levels.  Crater Lake has been cut off from all communications.  The park got hammered with snow.  Hope everyone is safe up there.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1