Any good job hunting suggestions?

petitepedal

I haven't done anything like this in years.  I do like working with independent seniors...not good with nursing home or assisted living...I could re-locate....not so sure I want to do big city again...maybe more mid size.

BA in human services ....12 years in senior housing...

what are some of the sites out there or is Monster it?   Oh anyone good with resume's

I'd suggest you're overly concerned, but you need to repair the relationship so my suggestion is you set about to keep the job you have.

Come Monday, I'd also suggest you make an appointment with the board president.  If you do get the appointment, don't bother to explain your actions unless she asks.  It's a temptation that's hard to resist, but you must.  She's not interested in why you did what you did, but only in what you will do in the future and that it doesn't create any waves or work for her.

I would recommend that you say that you were concerned about the outcome from the meeting, and that you are sorry that it appears a misunderstanding arose.  Say that you would like to hear what her expectations are of you.  Write them down as she says them.  Write them down as she says them.  Write them down as she says them.

I specifically repeated that suggestion because it is most important that you appear to be totally serious about what she says, and that you have a guideline after the meeting of what she wants and how you should conduct yourself.

Keep the meeting short, 15 minutes at most unless she prolongs it.  Say as little as possible except for your opening words.  You are there to listen to her, not justify, not explain.  You must be very conscious of her time.  Keep in mind the focus of the meeting is what she expects, not your feelings, not your worries, not you.  Sounds harsh, but you need to let her know you place a high importance on what she wants.

If she berates you, I recommend you apologize for misunderstanding what she expects, and ask for her help in clarifying your roles.  Say that you want to perform up to her expectations, and say that with her guidance you believe you can do that.

It isn't easy to do - to ask for a meeting where you know you might catch it, then to keep your mouth shut and let the other person do all the talking, and perhaps be a suck-up and meek when you don't feel like doing that and especially when you feel you didn't do anything wrong.

It may not be easy, but it's a lot easier than looking for another job, applying for unemployment, and/or moving all your stuff.

I think you're not at that point yet, but you need to set up this meeting right away to clear the air and let her know she IS indeed the boss and that you WILL work according to her expectations.

Remember, do not explain, do not justify, do not defend your actions.  I can not stress that enough.  The meeting is about HER, and what SHE wants from you.

And when you find out what those things are, you go do them to demonstrate you listened to her and that you are a valuable employee she needs to keep.

• Heart 2

Petite, please don't let this incident ruin your weekend. 

You've received some good advice about the meeting. Follow it.

Once the meeting is over and you are alone, off work and in a safe place, ask yourself two difficult questions.

1. How bad is the situation? Be honest - painfully honest - when answering this one. Make sure you are not overreacting and make sure you are not glossing over a serious matter.

2. If it is not good, how likely is it that things will change for the better? Consider your own plan of action and consider whether the person above you is likely to be a thorn in your side for a few months or many years.

With those two questions answered, you will have a better understanding of how to proceed.

TK is right.  I had so many problems in trying to defend myself with a bad boss that I finally just gave up and agree with everything.  yes...yes...yes...I am sorry...how do you want me to do .... ?...yes..yes...yes

She still sucks, but at least I have no drama.  She leaves me alone now.  I have far less attacks these days.  

TK is right.  I had so many problems in trying to defend myself with a bad boss that I finally just gave up and agree with everything.  yes...yes...yes...I am sorry...how do you want me to do .... ?...yes..yes...yes

She still sucks, but at least I have no drama.  She leaves me alone now.  I have far less attacks these days.  

That is an interesting phenomenon, the "beaten down worker".  Quite common - there is a reason that Dilbert and Wally are so darn famous!  And it is why I keep espousing Wallyhood as opposed to Alicehood or Dilberthood.  It can be quite Zen to be a Wally and take advantage of the PHB's quirks. :)

You folks are most kind!  I'd ask you to remember that whatever I have that passes for wisdom came from experience and as the saying goes...

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. 

So we can say I have a lot of 'experience'. :rolleyes:  Not all gained in a manner I appreciated.

But to focus on petite's concern, others have posted suggestions equally or more wise than mine.  In particular wearing pants or skirts to the meeting. ;)
 Collectively petite now has a good start, I think, to figuring out what her next moves are.

You folks are most kind!  I'd ask you to remember that whatever I have that passes for wisdom came from experience and as the saying goes...

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want. 

So we can say I have a lot of 'experience'. :rolleyes:  Not all gained in a manner I appreciated.

But to focus on petite's concern, others have posted suggestions equally or more wise than mine.  In particular wearing pants or skirts to the meeting. ;)
 Collectively petite now has a good start, I think, to figuring out what her next moves are.

I often hear good advice gained from experience prefaced with: "Don't ask me how I know that!"  :D

I agree with TK....don't fret and worry about it being over when it's not yet. Work on repairing that first (if you 'want' to keep this job).

Other than that, I have some awesome tips. Ping me privately and I can start disseminating information. Probably too much for forum posts. But it boils down to http://www.emprovegroup.com as a resource. They are local, but I went to a 'resume workshop' they put on for free a few years ago. I got there early and was talking to the instructor (Dieter) before it started. I was so amazed in that 10 minutes that I called my wife and told her to get out of bed and get down here (it was at our nearby public library) ASAP!

It was waaaaaaay more than just a 'resume' workshop. It was all about how to market yourself in general and make yourself look attractive as a candidate. How to truly 'stand out'. I started using their techniques and have had tons and tons of compliments about my website, resume and business cards ever since. I can't recommend them (and their techniques) highly enough.

I got there early and was talking to the instructor (Dieter) before it started. I was so amazed in that 10 minutes that I called my wife and told her to get out of bed and get down here (it was at our nearby public library) ASAP!

I've seen several seminars on TV by that guy Dieter, or at least I think it was the same guy.  At the time he was with a different company called 'Sprockets' though.

dieter-sprockets.jpg