Brutus is stripped

Dirtyhip

Two pivot rings, and a bearing needs replacement.  Rear shock is going in again.  We ride our bikes. 

The dirt and mud get into everything.  You have to do this if you ride in the dirt.  Some of the places we go, we really can't afford to have bike failures from lack of maintenance.  Some of the camp/ride spots take hours to just drive into. If you don't like camping, your mountain biking will not get really far.  There are lots of places that are just out there. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Were yous warrantied ever? I thought most guides had a defect. I've got a set in a box here. 

Don't get me started on sram :angry:Yes, and the defect is still present. The piston in the master cylinder expands in hot weather, ≈>80°F and prohibits the brakes from releasing. Cooling the lever w/ water or ice will retract it. Sram replaced them at no cost, out of warranty, but never fixed the issue. I don't fat bike often in hot weather, but eventually I'll replace them w/ Shimano.

36 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Don't get me started on sram :angry:Yes, and the defect is still present. The piston in the master cylinder expands in hot weather, ≈>80°F and prohibits the brakes from releasing. Cooling the lever w/ water or ice will retract it. Sram replaced them at no cost, out of warranty, but never fixed the issue. I don't fat bike often in hot weather, but eventually I'll replace them w/ Shimano.

You suffer from guiditis. 

One of the Sram founders lives here. I see him fairly often. Should I mention it to him?

1 minute ago, dennis said:

I think everyone does. My GF's failed while we were on vacation. That sucked.

I know, it's a common known problem. I'd say every pair of Guide R will or have failed. I know a couple people looking for fat bikes, and I warn them not to get one w/ these brakes.

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I know, it's a common known problem. I'd say every pair of Guide R will or have failed. I know a couple people looking for fat bikes, and I warn them not to get one w/ these brakes.

Did they replace yours or just fix them?

My GF bought Shimano brakes in Canada. Frickin' expensive, but we were about 100 yards into our first ride when they failed. I thought I could fix them, not a clue. She went to a shop and the mechanic didn't touch them. He just said they are defective. He was right. 

I have her Guides in a box. 

19 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Sram replaced the levers. My LBS installed them.

Had a similar recall replacement on my Level’s.   I actually like the feel of them and they have been trouble free.

To an earlier question, I bought replacement pads for my SLX brakes and the wrench showed me how to do it. He  gave me an extra little plastic doohickey he had to slide in the caliper to push the pads in.  He said it needed to be done to prevent rubbing as the pads self adjust due to wear.  I actually never replaced them tho as I gave the bike away shortly after but my cousin said it was easy.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I didn't like those brakes after the heat arrived.  Saw one dude in the field running dual ice packs on his handlebars.  It's a known defect that SRAM is doing nothing about.  My husband repaired mine by modifying the piston.  Don't ask me how to explain what kind of magical dude stuff he did to it, but the brakes worked after he took some modification tools to it.  

My new codes seem ok, but I am wary.  Brutus has XTR and they work great. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

are your disc brakes hydraulic?

I ask because my Trek Domane SL 6 has disc brakes.  I replaced the pads myself, but had to pay to have the brake lines bled.  

Mine are hydro.  My husband bleeds them when it needs it.  He does all of that.

He is sending in the shock.  He does the oil changes but the rebuilds, he tends to send that in.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

A dropper seat on a non-suspended bike? 

@dennis might have insight into "why" but they are popping up more often on the gravel bikes I see reviewed (not actually ridden) so they probably serve a purpose and certainly could be useful, I would think, regardless of suspension.  I've never really thought too much about dropper posts, but I'm not a Down Hill Demon like you.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Mine are hydro.  My husband bleeds them when it needs it.  He does all of that.

He is sending in the shock.  He does the oil changes but the rebuilds, he tends to send that in.

The bike shop mechanic told me Trek uses an oil similar to mineral oil.  I like the disk brakes, but, had to have the rotors replaced after 8600 miles. The pads dont seem to last as long as rim brake pads. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

@dennis might have insight into "why" but they are popping up more often on the gravel bikes I see reviewed (not actually ridden) so they probably serve a purpose and certainly could be useful, I would think, regardless of suspension.  I've never really thought too much about dropper posts, but I'm not a Down Hill Demon like you.

There were some CX races where I could have used that.  My meat was way way back behind my seat.  It was straight down.  I would have appreciated some cushion that day.  

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I didn't like those brakes after the heat arrived.  Saw one dude in the field running dual ice packs on his handlebars.  It's a known defect that SRAM is doing nothing about.  My husband repaired mine by modifying the piston.  Don't ask me how to explain what kind of magical dude stuff he did to it, but the brakes worked after he took some modification tools to it.  

My new codes seem ok, but I am wary.  Brutus has XTR and they work great. 

I seen a video on youtube of how to modify them not to stick. One diameter of the piston needs to be lightly sanded. SRAM sucks.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

They are showing up everywhere. Remember Joe Breeze's height rite? That was on rigid mt bikes.

I would be handy descending anything sketchy, but you can't put a bikepacking seat bag on there.

33 minutes ago, dennis said:

They are showing up everywhere. Remember Joe Breeze's height rite? That was on rigid mt bikes.

I would be handy descending anything sketchy, but you can't put a bikepacking seat bag on there.

Droppers are hit & miss, mostly miss on gravel & Cross. XC MTB for sure though.  That Evil is more of a monster cross so a dropper makes sense.