A Cautionary Tale for the "Like" Whores.

Page Turner

On a recent afternoon, Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, assembled members of his staff to discuss the secret details of a critical project: the elimination of public “likes.” You’ll be able to see how many hearts your posts get, dear user, but not other people’s tallies. The effort is referred to internally as “Project Daisy” — as in “Does she love me? Or love me not?”

Likes are the social media currency undergirding an entire influencer economy, inspiring a million Kardashian wannabes and giving many of us regular people daily endorphin hits. But lately, Mr. Mosseri has been concerned about the unanticipated consequences of Instagram as approval arbiter.

But making likes private will be a major shift for Instagram’s more than 1 billion users, for whom daily assessment of one another’s popularity has become like breathing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/business/who-is-the-ceo-of-instagram.html

• Heart 4

I hate when I'm scrolling though the comments on someone's Facebook post and accidentally hit the little heart thingy on some comment by somebody I don't know who turns out to be a 15 year old girl who gets all "stop stalking me you dirty old man" about it.   Yeah, I don't like when that happens.  Not that it ever happened.  To me, I mean.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, 12string said:

I hate when I'm scrolling though the comments on someone's Facebook post and accidentally hit the little heart thingy on some comment by somebody I don't know who turns out to be a 15 year old girl who gets all "stop stalking me you dirty old man" about it.   Yeah, I don't like when that happens.  Not that it ever happened.  To me, I mean.

On the Internet no one knows you are a dirty old man unless you let the cat oot of the bag.

• Heart 2

I do Instagram to have another way to share photos with a wider reach than my FB photo page. FB has made it much harder to promote pages than it used to be. 

I enjoy following the adventures of my youngest daughter on there more than anything. A significant percentage of her photography income comes from Instagram activity. The biggest was her recent deal with Mazda. I have 300 followers there. She has nearly 30,000! I don't put in the effort she does but what she gets out of it is impressive. 

I sometimes wonder if likes wouldn't be higher for some if they are anonymous. I get enough DM's on Insta because they think I am a model I photographed. I can't imagine how bad it is for women. If you don't know who did the likes, you can't do the creepy DM's...

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Dottie said:

I have moved far away from FB.  I don't care about most those people I have befriended or their lives. I also don't care where they are taking a vacation, give a rip about their politics, or their inspirational quotes.   

I like the pictures of their pets though.  

Great things never come from comfort zones.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Dottie said:

I have moved far away from FB.  I don't care about most those people I have befriended or their lives. I also don't care where they are taking a vacation, give a rip about their politics, or their inspirational quotes.   

I like the pictures of their pets though.  

:( I though you liked me.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Dottie said:

In about 10 years of posting -- I think I've gotten one like from you.  

It would seem to be true.

I don't do any of the social media (besides internet forums). I don't do Faceplantbook, InstaStupidGram, TwitsForTwitter, etc.

I have given a few likes here, I must be in mental decline.

• Sad 1