Cold process soaping

Dirtyhip

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I could make mine unscented.  That is the beauty of your own formulations.  

We've LONG AGO established you are hard-working, creative, and self-motivated, while also being aware that I am simply lazy.

There will be no "own formulating" in the RE's future. :(

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I need to get more creative for obtaining my raw materials.

Next batch I am making is just a boring olive oil, coconut oil and shortening soap. 

There’s an instructional video for that!

19806 is my mother’s old zip code, although I don’t believe that Paper Street was actually located in that town.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

There’s an instructional video for that!

19806 is my mother’s old zip code, although I don’t believe that Paper Street was actually located in that town.

Weird - a 19xxxx zip code in DE?  I thought that would be PA all the way!  I need to see how those numbers get assigned.

Lye and sodium hydroxide? I hope the rest of the stuff calms it down! I was recently watching an old episode of (From out of the west...) Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater and the introduction was about 1800's western frontier hygiene. Dick Powell held up a bar of lye soap and said, "The first swipe removed the dirt. The second swipe removed the skin."

I get whatever's cheap at Walmart. I think I'm on the 2nd bar of a 3-pack of Dove.  A guick Google turns up, "Thus, it is very important for one to use Dove soap, which not only prevents blemishes but also helps in moisturizing the skin to avoid the roughness, making it look soft and supple." - though I think this is mostly ad b.s. from: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-dove-soap-for-oily-skin/#gref

I don't know how accurate that quoted description is, but a look at it's ingredients shows that its bases are mostly several-carbon carboxylates which are weak bases and not highly toxic.

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Very cool that you make your own, DH.  I get a lot of different soaps from etsy with fun ingredients, but I've never made my own.

I am in love with a life where I craft a lot of my own things.  Food, soap, lotion, etc. 

There have been some disasters.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1