Domane+ LT

Razors Edge

So, Trek added the Domane+ LT to their e-bike line-up.  Their claim is that you can remove the drive system (battery & motor but not the transmission?) and have essentially a standard Domane, but at 23.6 lbs, that's likely 40% heavier than a comparable non-electric Domane.  Anyway, it is a step, and maybe there is a way they can refine it to an easy complete swap from powered to non-powered and get closer to the 17 or 18 lbs one sees with most road bikes.  @dennis might know offhand how much the Orbea Gain weighs with & without the assist, and how easy the swap is (remove battery, swap wheel?) as a good comparison to whether Trek "gets it" or not with this new Domane.

Lightweight

A 56cm Domane+ LT 9 tips the scales at a super-friendly 29.9 lbs. with the motor and battery installed and 23.6 lbs. when you remove the drive system to ride it like a standard Domane.

image.thumb.png.4db540efdd992dd1b96c7b877dff181b.png

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So, Trek added the Domane+ LT to their e-bike line-up.  Their claim is that you can remove the drive system (battery & motor but not the transmission?) and have essentially a standard Domane, but at 23.6 lbs, that's likely 40% heavier than a comparable non-electric Domane.  Anyway, it is a step, and maybe there is a way they can refine it to an easy complete swap from powered to non-powered and get closer to the 17 or 18 lbs one sees with most road bikes.  @dennis might know offhand how much the Orbea Gain weighs with & without the assist, and how easy the swap is (remove battery, swap wheel?) as a good comparison to whether Trek "gets it" or not with this new Domane.

Lightweight

A 56cm Domane+ LT 9 tips the scales at a super-friendly 29.9 lbs. with the motor and battery installed and 23.6 lbs. when you remove the drive system to ride it like a standard Domane.

image.thumb.png.4db540efdd992dd1b96c7b877dff181b.png

My LBS owners told me Trek was working on something new. Is Trek snob or non-snob?

It's a cool development, but still spendy. $6500-$12500 is a lot of cash for a bike. The Orbeas start at $3200 I think. The one my GF has weighs 25 lbs with the motor and battery. That is 7 lbs less than the least expensive Trek for $2500 less. 

You really can't remove the battery from the Orbea though. It's in the downtube. You could swap out the wheel and get rid of the motor. My guess is it would weigh close to 20 lbs. Hers has 105 components with Mavic Aksium wheels so nothing crazy light, but very respectable. It's a carbon frame and fork, but they make aluminum frames too.

DomanePlusLT_20_30916_A_Primary?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1920&hei=1440

GAIN M30 20mph