Americaville-Jackson Hole, China

dinneR

I don't know what to make of this.

https://buckrail.com/journey-to-jackson-hole-china-in-new-documentary/

https://www.americavillefilm.com/

Hidden among the mountains north of Beijing, a replica of the Wyoming town of Jackson Hole promises to deliver the American dream to its several thousand Chinese residents. In Americaville, Annie Liu escapes China’s increasingly uninhabitable capital city to pursue happiness, freedom, romance, and spiritual fulfillment in Jackson Hole; only to find the American idyll harder to attain than what was promised to her.

No different sorta than Leavenworth, Washington state....a little town where many bldgs. are modelled after a German Bavarian town in architecture, Oktoberfest, May pole dancing events....however, don't know if there is a sizable local German-American population there.  They don't go as far as a megaphone/PA system to tell anyone to enjoy their Disney-like experience.

Have you folks not figured why there are many immigrants from China? Or people with dreams..that is nearly heart-breaking.

Those heading for/in Canada in the past few years cite:  clean air & water, education system, health care, our vast tracts of preserved wilderness (for those who care to go hiking/camping), and Canada functions on an order of law system.  I know people ramble on about money laundering, but there are many immigrants who just don't have that type of money..but want a higher quality of life for self and family.  It's that simple in terms of reasons for immigrating.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Strangely troubling and interesting at the same time. 

Yea, I didn't get the "Good Wife" fantasy crap.  And the coloured Cheerios for snack/breakfast.  Hugging...by the way, is western and not super frequent traditional norm in many families among adults in China.

I hope we don't get the army just marching down the city for no reason...like they showed in the clip.

I found it amusing......and sad, 'cause these people want to escape temporarily from stress, pollution.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No different sorta than Leavenworth, Washington state....a little town where many bldgs. are modelled after a German Bavarian town in architecture, Oktoberfest, May pole dancing events....however, don't know if there is a sizable local German-American population there.  They don't go as far as a megaphone/PA system to tell anyone to enjoy their Disney like experience.

Have you folks not figured why there are many immigrants from China? Or people with dreams..that is nearly heart-breaking.

Those heading for/in Canada in the past few years cite:  clean air & water, education system, health care, our vast tracts of preserved wilderness (for those who care to go hiking/camping), and Canada functions on an order of law system.  I know people ramble on about money laundering, but there are many immigrants who just don't have that type of money..but want a higher quality of life for self and family.  It's that simple in terms of reasons for immigrating.

We have Hellen, GA. A purpose built chalet town to draw in the tourists. 

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

We have Hellen, GA. A purpose built chalet town to draw in the tourists. 

I better tell, dearie....the former immigrant boy from Germany.  He can collect these sites..maybe have a card stamped. :)  

I visit Chinatowns in areas as a tourist.....to see its history/how it is.  It's not an accurate reflection of the community....just usually a reflection of China from decades ago. (Recent immigrants can't totally relate to Chinatown. They want shiny tall buildings. Cool, modern furniture, etc.)  For instance, visiting Chinatown in Montreal...some signs maybe trilingual. :)  But a Chinatown is not Disneyland  and not an area for tourists to pretend.

...the area around Locke (and the Delta in general) is one of the least crowded and best kept secret cycling areas in California.  Mostly flat with canals and waterways, a lot of back roads with little traffic, and a couple of still working river ferries. I should log more miles down there. There are some great wineries, with tasting rooms nearby.   I'm surprised nobody is doing organized tours down there.

The annual forum meetup should happen there in alternate years.

• Heart 1

In order to be more accurate, they need about 12,000 elk. They got this right:

And this is where the sister cities’ darker similarities, besides obvious architecture and sharing a name, begin to seep through the cracks. Like Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Jackson Hole, China is regarded as somewhat of a wonderland. Most of its residents are second-homeowners. They buy houses to escape from the responsibilities and the pollution of the city. They’re all wealthy.

There is, necessarily, a service sector in Jackson Hole, China. They do not live in the large, lavish homes inspired by what you might find in Teton Village. Instead, they live in dorm-like housing out of sight from the pay-to-play residents.

That's cool.  American tourists might be interested in visiting it to see what the Chinese are seeing as an example of America.

When I toured China in 2001, I was surprised to learn that the Chinese name for the United States is not the usual translation for the words "united" and "states" as in most countries.  We're called "Mei Guo," which to my ear sounds like "May Gwar."  It means "The Beautiful Country," so we have some favorable propaganda working in our favor from the name alone.

In general, waitresses in western-style restaurants, even where the tip was pre-paid, often clustered around the tables of American tourists.  It seemed to be that Americans were genuinely liked. Our tour guides said they like American tour groups because we are, "friendly, generous, and on-time. When we say to meet in the hotel lobby at 8 am, you're all here at 8 am."  I guess Americans haven't been visiting there enough to leave the awful, arrogant impression of the "ugly American" that we leave in Europe, etc. - I know Americans who passed themselves off as Canadians on European tours to avoid giving a bad impression.  A few times in France, I astonished people who recognized me as American -with very favorable results- by speaking in French (with lots of grammatical mistakes) instead of expecting them to speak in English.  The famous French bad attitude disappeared every time.