So whatcha reading?

Ralphie

Book 1 of The Expanse

Blowout by Rachel Maddow (very timely)

Working, a short book by the historian, Caro, on his career

Outpost, a diplomat reminiscing about his career

What Hath God Wrought, brilliant Pulitzer winning history of the period 1815 to 1848

Factfulness, goofy book by an economist. He reminds me of the breathless optimism you saw a few years before WW1 ripped the Continent apart and ended 3 empires and deeply wounded a 4th.

Wife is reading State Park brochure listing all the State Parks. Plotting some outing. Last thing she said to me was “How far away is Hardy County” followed by “oh, and Paines prairie, while we saw the wild horses at a distance, never found the free range buffalo” ?

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Wife is reading State Park brochure listing all the State Parks. Plotting some outing. Last thing she said to me was “How far away is Hardy County” followed by “oh, and Paines prairie, while we saw the wild horses at a distance, never found the free range buffalo” ?

I wanted to see the mermaids. Just sounds like such a piece of classic Americana. I was glad we saw cypress gardens back in the day too. Not a state park, but a piece of Florida history. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Did you start that before or after he died, Dennis?  Looks good!  So many books, so little free time. I blame SW. And the rest of you bastards for being so engaging. :D

Before. Last year. I set it aside to read another book in between, Endure by Alex Hutchinson. Now I've set that one aside and gone back to Neil. I think Neil wrote four or five books. Ghost Rider is very good.

Endure - Alex Hutchinson - Hardcover

29 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I wanted to see the mermaids. Just sounds like such a piece of classic Americana. I was glad we saw cypress gardens back in the day too. Not a state park, but a piece of Florida history. 

It is now a State Park as Disney destroyed it’s business. On the to do list when granddaughter visits in a year or two. Going through some renovations this year plus she is only 3. Did see where they were hiring mermaids and apparently now can swim with mermaids. Cypress Gardens is now Legoland, but they apparently did retain a small portion of the gardens and I believe still have the water ski show. That is also my home town and I was forced to date those “southern belles” as they were my classmates in high school.

Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. 

FYI: The next James McCarthy book should be out in a couple of months. The book is completely edited and formatted. Working on the cover and book blurb right now. Re-edited second editions of the first two books are also scheduled to be released around the same time.

Image result for story engineering

Operation Drumbeat.  German submarines off the east coast of the US.

A remarkably exciting account of German's little-known U-boat campaign against merchant shipping along the North American Atlantic coast during 1942, which along with simultaneous attacks in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico caused greater losses in ships and lives than those suffered at Pearl Harbor. Illustrated

I have a few memory improvement ebooks I'm checking out.  I'm reading this one first because it doesn't just teach you memory retention tricks. It looks at normal and see-a-doctor memory lapses, normal aging effects, and more.  It also looks at the effects on memory of getting the right amount of sleep, exercise, nutrition, interaction with others, stress, etc.

image.thumb.png.ad4494783b785a005398266e54966cfb.png

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Operation Drumbeat.  German submarines off the east coast of the US.

A remarkably exciting account of German's little-known U-boat campaign against merchant shipping along the North American Atlantic coast during 1942, which along with simultaneous attacks in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico caused greater losses in ships and lives than those suffered at Pearl Harbor. Illustrated

I remember reading, maybe in Churchill's History of WW2, that the U-boats had a field day off the East Coast while American coastal cities left their lights on at night in 1942, despite the British warning the American government to shut them off! The lights allowed the Germans to see the freighters silhouetted against the lights.

• Sad 1

Just finished (about an hour ago) Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot) by Agatha Christie.

Poirot had been present when Jane bragged of her plan to ‘get rid of’ her estranged husband. Now the monstrous man was dead. And yet the great Belgian detective couldn’t help feeling that he was being taken for a ride. After all, how could Jane have stabbed Lord Edgware to death in his library at exactly the same time she was seen dining with friends? And what could be her motive now that the aristocrat had finally granted her a divorce?

image.png.5e0d878c773a5055dbdd70c6f5e2ee4b.png

Next up is Tor freebie - Truthwitch by Susan Dennard.  Should be a quick read.

In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble―as two desperate young women know all too well.

Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It’s a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.

Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her―but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safiya’s hotheaded impulsiveness.

Safiya and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and privateer) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

image.png.b9a1ccbf755d5099413f3f74bbbad383.png