So what is your natural pace?

Ralphie

Mine is on the slow end of the spectrum.  I think I would be perfectly comfortable taking a siesta every day. :)  And I look at work and progress as things that do not necessarily need to be rushed.  But since time is money, and also the most limited resource, I 'spose I should step it up a little.  Of course one of the best ways to do that is to choose how you spend your time and to do it wisely.  Of course the first thought that comes to mind is to get the hell off the forum, but I enjoy it that here, the voices in my head sometimes answer back with witty or once in a while, useful answers.  I guess the operative question, in the very wise words of Steely Dan, is "where are you tomorrow?"  And in the similarly wise words of Pink Floyd: "The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older.  Shorter of breath and one day closer to dee-eee-ath".  Hmmm, tough questions.

Yes, I like to live my life in song.  Is that so wrong?  :D

• Heart 1

I think that living life well is a simple thing really.  Do what you like and try to enjoy as much of it as you can.  If you enjoy jumping out of planes or climbing mountains, then do that.  I, on the other hand, have a different enjoyment factor.  I like talking with friends, cutting my grass, going for a bike ride on a warm day, eating healthy, doing crosswords, just being outside under a blue sky and living with as little pain as possible  :(, just to name a few.  I have simple tastes, but I think appreciation of every minute (even the unpleasant ones) is the key.  Life is cool. We shouldn't feel guilty about time spent relaxing or doing unimportant things.  We should feel bad, however, if we fail to enjoy it all as much as we can. 

• Heart 3

I'd say I'm on the fast side...but not "The Flash" or anything. I find that I'm often still wanting to do things when others want to call it quits or take a break. Especially if I "get into the groove".

I rarely nap. I'm usually getting things done around the house while my wife is sleeping (it's amazing any human can sleep so much). I'm usually the one who wants to be up and out of the house nice and early. Others, by comparison, usually don't want to even be awake by the time I'd like to "be somewhere". I'm definitely get out of the house and go do things kind of person. I'm not a sit at home, take a nap, watch TV kind of person.

I would say that my pace is on the slow side of fast...... or is that the fast side of slow.  I like it when things are moving quickly but not much quicker that a slower than fast pace.  I like to take time to enjoy things but not too much time, just a little bit.  So now you understand my pace of life.

Generally it's full speed ahead.  Yesterday was a good example.  Went to church, came home and fixed bacon and eggs for breakfast.  Dave called to see if I wanted to ride.  Met him in Lebanon and rode 52 miles at 17.5 avg.  Get home and get the homebrew started.  Shower and put the crushed grains in the hot water to steep.  Fired up the charcoal chimney for the Weber.   Pulled the roasting chicken out of the fridge and prepped that with some dry rub and stood up on a can of Mama's Little Yella Pils.  Prepped the cauliflower for roasting.  Pulled the grains and rinsed them to extract all the fermentable sugars.  Added 5 lbs pale extract and 3.3 lbs dark extract and brought to a boil.  Almost boiled over.  Added 1 oz hops.  Put chicken on the grill and added some hickory chunks for effect.  Put cauliflower in the oven, add more hops to wort.  Prep cornbread and cast iron skillet.  Add Irish moss to wort.  Add more hops and remove from heat.  Pull cauliflower from oven, boost heat to 425 and add cornbread skillet.  Put water on to boil for corn.  Pull chicken off the grill set on a platter to cool.  Move brewpot to basement for cooling.  Add corn to boiling water.  Cut up chicken, serve cauliflower, and corn.  Pull cornbread from oven and slice wedges.  Eat dinner with a Sierra Nevada.  Cool wort and pitch yeast.  OG is 1.053, lower than I expected but it always turns out well.  Clean brewpot and accessories.  Clean up dinner mess.  Grab a Punch cigar and a homebrew (IPA) and sit in the rocker on the front porch and watch the sun go down, listening to the train in the distance.

• 5 months later...

Master o' Universe, he's making beer.  It makes perfect sense.

As for my pace, it's fairly steady.  Lately, though, I'm unable to multi-task. It makes me anxious to have more than one thing going on at the same time. 

I went to an interview where I told the interviewer that multi-tasking leads to half-assing everything, I, and everybody else, work optimally when allowed to concentrate fully on one task at a time.  It was not the answer they wanted, but I am done with corporate-speak BS.  

Honesty is a lost art.

• Heart 2

My pace seems to be slowing down.  I think it all started when my wife switched from working opposite hours from me and started working the same hours I do (more or less).  She isn't able to do long bike rides, kayak, run.  When she wasn't home it wasn't a problem for me to just go do those things.  Now it's like I'm abandoning her when I head out first thing in the morning on my bike or with my kayak or gym bag.  The less I get out the slower I become when I do get out.