Perogies same/different in East European countries? Or.. how?

shootingstar

Are perogies also Polish?  I know it's like asking-- are Chinese dumplings the same as Japanese (gyoza) or Korean or Nepalanese or Tibet.  (Yes, there are some differences 'cause dumpling is a catch-all term for different fillings, some different techniques, shapes, like pasta.)

I live in a province that historically was settled by many Ukranians...churches all over the province. There are some great, major makers and suppliers of perogies locally. Have been in business over 3 decades and longer. I haven't tried the fruit perogies yet.  (plum, blueberry, saskatoonberry, etc.) 

22 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Are perogies also Polish?  I know it's like asking-- are Chinese dumplings the same as Japanese (gyoza) or Korean or Nepalanese or Tibet.  (Yes, there are some differences 'cause dumpling is a catch-all term for different fillings, some different techniques, shapes, like pasta.)

I live in a province that historically was settled by many Ukranians...churches all over the province. There are some great, major makers and suppliers of perogies locally. Have been in business over 3 decades and longer. I haven't tried the fruit perogies yet.  (plum, blueberry, saskatoonberry, etc.) 

I think they are popular in most East European countries, kind of like Borscht. I have eaten in too many restaurants to count all across the Canadian west, and both dishes are very common on the menu.

7 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I think they are popular in most East European countries, kind of like Borscht. I have eaten in too many restaurants to count all across the Canadian west, and both dishes are very common on the menu.

Just wondering those who come from families of that background might know. I'm fascinated that German traditional cusisine, doesn't include perogies at all.  Yet sauerkraut is still deeply embedded in the cuisine.

I went to baby shower where an employee who was from Nepal, bought her homemade momos.  Their dumpling version which I found it heavier in the skins and more "rustic" pork filling.  It never occurred to me that Nepalanese even made dumplings given how far north and living in mountainous region to have access to certain grains/starches.

Similar foods to dumplings or pierogi exist in many regions of the world. Ravioli as an example from Italy.  As such the fillings are equally varied. Both Ukraine and Poland have a dumpling called pierogi. The  Ukraine ones I think are sometimes called riskier pierogi but are not from Russia  

11 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Similar foods to dumplings or pierogi exist in many regions of the world. Ravioli as an example from Italy.  As such the fillings are equally varied. Both Ukraine and Poland have a dumpling called pierogi. The  Ukraine ones I think are sometimes called riskier pierogi but are not from Russia  

Am not clear how Russian perogies are different. We have work colleague in my dept. who immigrated from Siberia.  She's brought lunches where there's buckwheat filling...but not in perogies. (I don't think.) I just wonder if Ukraine and Polish dumplings where 1 country would tend to use a type of meat more often others, etc.

The sheer variety of Chinese dumplings is incredibly broad, many different shapes, techniques, different skins (egg based vs. more wheat/non-egg, etc.)...there a whole large cookbooks, a whole history because of China's contrasting geographic regions and regional cuisines. Even folk tales. I actually found Japanese gyoza, delicious...but not diverse in choice fillings/styles/technique compared to Chinese dumpling/dim sum.  When vacationing in South Korea, kimchee-filled gyoza was intriguing...though to me, abit sort of "weak"...just slopping a sort of paste..inside. 

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Just wondering those who come from families of that background might know. I'm fascinated that German traditional cusisine, doesn't include perogies at all.  Yet sauerkraut is still deeply embedded in the cuisine.

Similar with the Dutch.  There are no perogies that I’m aware of in their cuisine. It didn’t go that far west maybe?

51 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m not even aware of Dutch dumplings?  It’s not something my family ever made but they only lived in Holland for about ten years.  More of a PA Dutch thing?  

Spaetzle for German, is closer to a small pasta. Not dumpling at all. One can, as an option, pan fry it very lightly after boiling it and draining.

OMG, my grandmother made fantastic pierogies! Her parents came here from Poland, but all the kids were born here. 

The fillings included mashed potatoes and cheese, sauerkraut, sweet cabbage, cottage cheese....hmm, I think that's all. 

I was amazed when in NYC and found a place that made pierogies very similar to my grandmother's. My grandmother never made duck pierogies, but the restaurant did; holy crap they were fantastic!

• Awesome 2

30 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What I have had are about 1inch squares. Called Dutch dumplings. 

I looked up Dutch Dumplings and several PA Dutch recipes came up.  I don't think it’s a common dish in Holland as I have never seen it there nor am aware of any traditional Dutch dishes with them.

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I looked up Dutch Dumplings and several PA Dutch recipes came up.  I don't think it’s a common dish in Holland as I have never seen it there nor am aware of any traditional Dutch dishes with them.

Thanks. Pa Dutch makes sense. When he had PA Dutch noodles they were similar but longer and always called slippery noodles.