Naming your boat

Airehead

When I lived in Pensacola, I lived next door to a captain of a boat that tended the oil rigs in the Gulf.  He had spent most of his life on or near the water.  He once told me that naming a boat should be given serious thought and should not be taken lightly.  He hated that some people gave boats whimsical or joke-like names.  

• Awesome 1

I once lived with a woman who owned a dance studio..her ex-and at the time I knew her now late husband was a sculptor ..She told me tales of when they were married..a pot of soup going on one burner of the stove...and a pot of dance costumes being dyed on another burner :D  Anyway...she wanted a grand piano....he apparently wanted a boat....He purchased the boat...and named it Nancy's Grand Piano....  I am not sure how much longer the marriage lasted after that... her two sons were both guitar players..the one son played flamenco.  I am sure a piano would have been well received in the house.

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I once lived with a woman who owned a dance studio..her ex-and at the time I knew her now late husband was a sculptor ..She told me tales of when they were married..a pot of soup going on one burner of the stove...and a pot of dance costumes being dyed on another burner :D  Anyway...she wanted a grand piano....he apparently wanted a boat....He purchased the boat...and named it Nancy's Grand Piano....  I am not sure how much longer the marriage lasted after that... her two sons were both guitar players..the one son played flamenco.  I am sure a piano would have been well received in the house.

She sounded like a creative soul.. in every way.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have not named either canoe...., if it was a boat big enough to name, I would probably name it Surface Interval because I would use it for the surface interval between dives

Lake Michigan dive boat was Betty L.  An old steel fishing trawler.

this is my new canoe.  Only 5 years old.  Older one was purchased new in 1974

13 hours ago, KrAzY said:

You got the same state laws as us where you don’t need numbers on a watercraft under 20ft with paddle power. 
mince we add a small motor of any kind we need a registration 

Here I think you need to register anything with a motor 10hp or more..., which is why the 9.9hp engibes sell so well.

A self propelled canoe is fine.

On a completely bizarre note, our drunk driving laws state that while drunk, you cannot operate a "... motor vehicle, vessel, or aircraft..." and our transport regs say that a canoe over a certain length (16-ish feet maybe) is a designated vessel so you could technically be charged with impaired operation while paddling your canoe

We, my sister's family and I, bought a boat in 1998, a 21' inboard/outdrive with a 210 HP engine - where we could go 35 to 50 mph on a reasonably calm Chesapeake Bay and get where we wanted to fish - and a cuddy cabin with a port-a-potty and a grill we could attach to a rod holder.

We called it the "Reel Busy."  We should have called it the "Money Pit," because, besides the $2000/year boatel fees, it cost us $150 - $200 in gas for a typical day's fishing and trolling after gasoline prices tripled and quadrupled in the 2000's.  That resulted in us not using it enough and we sold it.

If I got one today, some variation of Money Pit would be the name.

De Nada was the name of our old beat up Cal 20.  Our "friends" called her "The Crack Addict".  She was admittedly a bit rough above the water line, but below the water line she was smooth and fast and we won more than a few races with her.

I would probably stay with De Nada.  I like the humility of that name.