Is there an easy way to support a room air conditioner from inside?

Ralphie

Uncle Google has surprisingly little info on this. Ideally I'd just buy an in-room unit, but we have an old-style room a/c unit that I'd like to use, but this is a third floor apartment with flimsy window frames and no ledge. So I am thinking that the unit needs to be supported mostly from inside, using either a small table or more likely some kind of 2 x 4 frame.

Any ideas?

Good point, RR.  I noticed looking at some in the store that there is just aboot no leeway as far as what goes outside versus what goes inside. :angry:

This outside bracket appears to be aboot the only thing around.  Even though it goes outside, it can be done from inside and requires no damage to the siding.

I have a few reviews to read through. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-AC-160-Universal-Conditioner-Support/dp/B00162723O

This is what I would use to make a shelf under the front of the unit. Slap them onto a stud and it would work nicely... during the cooler months you will have a nice shelf to put something also

Heavy-Duty-Shelf-Bracket.jpg

Any ideas?

I'd start with posting a picture of your window.  It looks like the lower angled brace on the universal support bracket stays in place mostly by friction with the wall. If you do want to use that bracket, I'd suggest getting it all set up then measuring for or marking a metal brace between the horizontal support and the lower angled one.  You could even use a piece of light chain.  Bolt or screw the brace or chain between the horizontal and angled brace to create a triangle and prevent the the lower angled brace from kicking out (from vibration from the AC unit) and dumping your unit onto the ground.