Last time you visited Canada

shootingstar

World Economic Forum says more Americans visited Canada in lst half of 2019 since 2007.   The country (like probably the US maybe) is rated high for foreign visitors worldwide.https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/these-are-the-best-countries-for-tourists-to-visit-in-2019-wef-says.html

So when was the last time you visited Canada?  Like actually stepped on Canada land.  Not just fly over it or a layover in Canadian airport.  Just wondering, since I think forum members may be more well travelled (even in your own country) than other groups. 

For myself: I seem to visit U.S. at least once every 2 yrs., on average in past 15 years.

banff.png.c0dd12d58085ede51ca8cfafe0fe4b03.png

In general I'm not well traveled at all. But we spent most of our 2019 summer vacation in Quebec. I think I posted photos. We all loved it. 

Before that we were in Vancouver for half a day at the tail end of our Alaska trip, July 2017.

Before that I spent a night in Montreal during college (1991, I think). Some of that night I remember. 

• Heart 2

Just before Christmas. Went to Kingston to do some shopping and have dinner. We are usually north of the border every few months. Living close to the border it’s like going to another town rather than another country.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It was a long long time ago.

To where?  Just jostling memories. Or maybe you fell asleep in car.

Vancouver is only 40 km. to the international border, so not surprisingly we go to Seattle. Twice to Hawaii. Twice to San Francisco with latter trip for a job interview. off to Napa Valley for 1 day.. New Mexico. Several different conference trips: Chicago (actually in 'burbs, Rhode Island, Gaithersburg--> where I spent 2 days in Washington DC, 4 different trips to New England states:  Boston, Cape Cod, New Hampshire, buzzed through Conneticut.

Biked for a few days in Vermont in fall.  Come to think of it, 2 separate trips to Portland area.

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Haven’t been to Canada in over 14 years. If it was not for the cruise ship hitting nova Scotia I would not have been there in over 25 years. I’ll be back when y’all produce better beer.

I drove a car up to Alaska for a guy back in 1970. That involved driving up through Canada and the Yukon Territory. We stopped one night at a motel and the restaurant only had Carling beer. When choices are few you drink what they have. The only Carling beer I had ever tasted was called Black Label and it was crap. Carling Canadian actually tasted quite good. Driving all day at -20°f with snow and frosty windshield I was ready for a beer. That may have affected why it was so enjoyable, also it was higher alcohol content than American beer back in 1970.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I drove a car up to Alaska for a guy back in 1970. That involved driving up through Canada and the Yukon Territory. We stopped one night at a motel and the restaurant only had Carling beer. When choices are few you drink what they have. The only Carling beer I had ever tasted was called Black Label and it was crap. Carling Canadian actually tasted quite good. Driving all day at -20°f with snow and frosty windshield I was ready for a beer. That may have affected why it was so enjoyable, also it was higher alcohol content than American beer back in 1970.

I've gotten sick on that stuff.

Mabel, another Black Label.

Image result for mabel another black label

in the summer of 2018 I had some meetings in Calgary with the crew scheduling department of WestJet. I made many trips to Canada for work (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax) but only 4 for pleasure (1968 to Sault St Marie, 1971 to Vancouver, 1975 from Niagara Falls to Windsor, 1989 day trip to Niagara Falls).

I last visited in 2002, spending a day sightseeing in Vancouver then taking an Inside Passage Alaska Cruise out and back to Vancouver.

I lived in Toronto from Aug-Dec. 1975 while completing the research for my IIT graduate degree in chemistry- my advisor had accepted becoming chairman of the chemistry dept. at U. of Toronto and I was allowed by IIT to wrap it up there.

In 2001, my 12 hour, 32 minute flight from Beijing to Detroit flew along the Asian Pacific Coast off of Korea and Russia, across the Bering Straight, then down through Alaska and Canada to Detroit, so I did get to see a lot of rugged Yukon, etc. mountain territory from the air.

Our extended family - about a dozen of us vacation together - is talking about where we want to go in 2021 (Summer: the kids have school otherwise) and Quebec City plus Montreal are being considered.  I haven't done Hawaii or Italy and they're at the top of my list, but Quebec's ok with me if that's the consensus.

29 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

in the summer of 2018 I had some meetings in Calgary with the crew scheduling department of WestJet. I made many trips to Canada for work (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax) but only 4 for pleasure (1968 to Sault St Marie, 1971 to Vancouver, 1975 from Niagara Falls to Windsor, 1989 day trip to Niagara Falls).

Ok, Sault St. Marie (or we call it the "Soo"), must have been part business-a friend/relative there.  Or you wanted to stand on shore edge...and 10 metres across the water channel is the U.S.?  I don't remember the distance, but I did do with friend. All I could think of was easy route for cigarette bulk smuggling, etc.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I last visited in 2002, spending a day sightseeing in Vancouver then taking an Inside Passage Alaska Cruise out and back to Vancouver.

I lived in Toronto from Aug-Dec. 1975 while completing the research for my IIT graduate degree in chemistry- my advisor had accepted becoming chairman of the chemistry dept. at U. of Toronto and I was allowed by IIT to wrap it up there.

In 2001, my 12 hour, 32 minute flight from Beijing to Detroit flew along the Asian Pacific Coast off of Korea and Russia, across the Bering Straight, then down through Alaska and Canada to Detroit, so I did get to see a lot of rugged Yukon, etc. mountain territory from the air.

Our extended family - about a dozen of us vacation together - is talking about where we want to go in 2021 (Summer: the kids have school otherwise) and Quebec City plus Montreal are being considered.  I haven't done Hawaii or Italy and they're at the top of my list, but Quebec's ok with me if that's the consensus.

Quebec City is worth it. There are bike trails...outside, network is Route Verte.  Sure construction in Montreal, is probably just prevalent...as in Toronto, etc.  Of course, Hawaii would be great , though not sure what it would be like in Jun.-Aug.  I've been there in late May and early Jan. 

55 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sure construction in Montreal, is probably just prevalent...as in Toronto, etc.

Not even close.  Montreal is completely torn up.  Even St. Catherines is nearly unworkable.   This is what happens when 40 years of infrastructure spending goes to mob bosses.  It really is not a pleasant place to spend time at the moment.  Maybe in 3 years when the road infrastructure has been improved. 

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not even close.  Montreal is completely torn up.  Even St. Catherines is nearly unworkable.   This is what happens when 40 years of infrastructure spending goes to mob bosses.  It really is not a pleasant place to spend time at the moment.  Maybe in 3 years when the road infrastructure has been improved. 

Sounds like midtown in Toronto (just north of downtown) where they are laying the new LRT line.  I agree the construction business in Montreal has not at all been clean for decades.

Montreal and St Jerome in 2003. I would love to go back some time. My daughter and her boyfriend drove there after visiting his sister in Boston. On the way back to the US, they were asked to get out of the car and it was thoroughly searched! When the border guard told them they could re-pack their car, he handed her a bag a loose-leaf tea that was sitting in the back seat. Apparently they thought it was pot! They never said that, but...

On 1/20/2020 at 8:53 AM, jsharr said:

August 54th, 20andnever.

You should get there. Canada is awesome. I've been to Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, Garibaldi, Mt Robeson, Manning, and Wells Gray parks. The Canadians do a great job of maintaining their parks.

I've been looking at a bikepacking trip in Newfoundland.

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

You should get there. Canada is awesome. I've been to Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, Garibaldi, Mt Robeson, Manning, and Wells Gray parks. The Canadians do a great job of maintaining their parks.

I've been looking at a bikepacking trip in Newfoundland.

Do they know aboot ROKU in Canada, eh?  Can I take mine with me?

On 1/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, shootingstar said:

So when was the last time you visited Canada?

2012 we sailed out of Vancouver on our Alaska cruise, but that doesn't count. I have to go back to 2007 when we were in Whistler skiing. That's quite a while!  We are still thinking about hitting Acadia NP this year or next, so then PEI and Nova Scotia come into play since getting up that way is half the effort. One of my sisters went to Quebec City last winter and loved it (she likes cold weather), and Montreal is on our list still. Been to Vancouver quite a few times, but we are also looking at hitting British Columbia & Alberta as a NW US and SW Canada camping trip.  A roundtrip camping vacation through CAnadian and US national parks in that area would be fun.