In a fire

Airehead

Most of the pictures are scanned - a project that I started when we were cleaning out my parents house.  If I thought about it, probably a jewelry box that contains a few pieces that have sentimental value - a necklace from my grandmother and a pin that my Dad got my Mom.

My laptop because of all of the financial records and of course the thousands of pictures.  Or, if it was the winter my warm coat and my insulated hiking boots.  Which reminded me…

Back on 11/17/13 a tornado hit Washington IL, about 40 miles SW of my old home.  The tornado sirens went off (for the same storm) and of course my wife and I had to go outside on our front porch to see what was going on.  Then we heard the VERY loud roar of the wind. (I'll never forget that sound)  Then we quickly decided this wasn’t a good thing.  So, we ran and got the dogs and took cover in a bathroom in our basement.  My wife asked me, why did you bring your coat and boots?  I told her, it’s November when our house gets blown away at least I’ll have a coat.  She didn’t have any shoes with her.   Our house was spared.  There was a LOT of debris in our yard, that was carried the 40 miles.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

My wife asked me, why did you bring your coat and boots?  I told her, it’s November when our house gets blown away at least I’ll have a coat.  She didn’t have any shoes with her.   Our house was spared.  There was a LOT of debris in our yard, that was carried the 40 miles.

In May of 1985 We had a tornado do the same thing. I was taking a bath. My wife called to see if I was home from work yet. I told her I was but had to go back out. She said she was at a neighbor’s and would be right home. She and the kids came in the house with handfuls of hail stones to show me. Then we heard a freight train, we don’t have any trains near us. I told my wife that is the sound of a tornado, go look and see which way it’s coming. She looked out front and saw nothing. I told her to look out back. She did and ran in the house screaming that it was heading straight for us. 

I got out of the tub, told everybody to go to the basement. We huddled under a beam in the basement with the dog and our three sons. The house shook but didn’t blow away. When the sound lessened I ran upstairs and grabbed some pants and a camera and took a picture of the tornado as it was destroying the houses in Greenfield, just up the road from us. That tornado passed between the neighbor’s house where my wife called me from and our house, taking out all the houses in between.

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I can't think of anything that I would go back in and get.  Maybe my phone?  Lots of pics/financial crap stored on it.   

That’s a good one, but I’ll probably have it with me if I was dressed and out safely with the pets.... So I’ll say a black and white photo portrait of my kids age 5 and 3. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

3 paintings.  All photos are stored digitally. 

Obviously worth something.

Probably 1 painting I executed, and if I could 1 photo album, drive with some digital..though doesn't contain all.  

I do have a blog for a particular reason....it does preserve some of the best experiences I've had. 

One can use wordpress.com and make it private.  You can give password for read only access to loved ones for your own personal blog.