My soup sucked

Randomguy

47 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Was it leek soup?

Yes, well, kind of.

21 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What was it. It can be fixed

Chicken stock, corn, peas, carrots, celery, half a leek.  Then I put in some Trader Joe's little meatballs that I have been sitting on forever.  I put in a bunch of non-salt spices, counting on the salt in the meatballs to be enough, and it wasn't.  Then, because it seemed too thin, I put in some mashed potatoes to thicken it up a bit.  A couple of pieces of multigrain sourdough and saltless butter on the side, that was dinner.  Finished it off with some strawberries and blueberries for dessert.

Regular sourdough is way the hell better than multigrain sourdough, btw.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Put some hot sauce like Tabasco in it. Not to make it spicy but to make the flavor bright. I cannot tell you how many because I don’t know quantity. 

I actually did put a few shakes of Louisiana hot sauce in.  That made it tolerable enough to choke down.

• Heart 1

This reminded me of one of my favorite stories from when I was growing up...

My dad made a ham and bean soup. All day long, he was talking about how it was his mother's recipe and how much he loved it. His mom passed away before I was born, so this was exciting.  He tended to that soup all day long. Every time he would do anything, he would talk about how good this was going to be.  Dinner time came and we all sat at the table. My dad took the first bite and looked up and said, "Looks like pizza tonight."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Soup is easy.

Your soup needed sauteed mushrooms.

There are a ton of other options, but that is a step towards understanding balancing flavor profiles.

It needed something 'to hang it's hat on'. A big mess of onions sauteed until golden brown would do it. A pinch of powdered truffle would add a dark twist. Or maybe make small meatballs with chicken liver, the flavor goes into the soup and adds depth.

Or all of the above.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Now I am sad because I have a couple of servings left.  Does anyone want it for their dogs?

I think all of grew up with the "waste not, want not" attitude to eat all the food we take and make.

I still find myself licking the last little bit of sauce, etc. from my plate or spoon before I toss them in the sink.

With most of us trying to keep our weight down, a new attitude is required.  I'm at the point where if I don't like it, I dispose of it - garbage, flushing, for the birds, etc.

My cousin Phyllis says she always leaves a little on the plate at restaurants that, today, serve huge portions. My overweight extended family, insanely, orders appetizers before the main meal every time we're in a restaurant - I resist it and refuse the offers to try some. The appetizer portions are often so big they could be the entire meal themselves!

It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man," where aliens from space come to earth and make the deserts bloom, etc, so no one goes hungry.  They smile when they see fatties going onto a spaceship to visit their homeworld - which is said to be so wonderful no one ever returns. The reason becomes known when an earthman translates their book, "To Serve Man," and realizes it's a cookbook!

The restaurants are looking at us fatties with the same glee and want to increase our numbers!

Maybe the new attitude should be, "Consume not, bulge not."

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The potatoes and the leeks killed it.  No more.

...straight up potato leek soup is an outstanding recipe.  It was all the other stuff that killed it.

Vichyssoise is a thick soup made of boiled and puréed leeks, onions, potatoes, cream, and chicken stock. It is traditionally served cold but it can be eaten hot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichyssoise

8 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

This reminded me of one of my favorite stories from when I was growing up...

My dad made a ham and bean soup. All day long, he was talking about how it was his mother's recipe and how much he loved it. His mom passed away before I was born, so this was exciting.  He tended to that soup all day long. Every time he would do anything, he would talk about how good this was going to be.  Dinner time came and we all sat at the table. My dad took the first bite and looked up and said, "Looks like pizza tonight."

Yea, that sounds like your pop. I love that man.

Mudkipz