Goofing off this afternoon-light was fading as we finished the drive.

sheep_herder

54 minutes ago, Kirby said:

What is the animal in the three in the 5th picture?

I thought that was an unusual question, who hasn’t seen a porcupine in a tree before but then I realized a lot of people probably haven’t. Porcupines are survival food. If someone is lost for days in the wilderness and starving a porcupine is fairly easy to catch and kill with a club. I think that is one reason they are protected.

Thanks for the pics. We've got almost all of the same animals in the park I walk Jake the Golden Doodle except for the Bald Eagles. We get lots of Canada Geese, hundreds of which winter in that park and often fly 20 feet overhead in the same numbers as in your pics - making me glad I wear a hat!

I've often wondered why those that come here fly all the way from the northern Hudson Lake area and then stop in Maryland when they only have to go a little farther to hit almost-no-snow, warmer states. So I'm amazed some of them winter in Montana!

There is a lot of feed on grain fields and many visit alfalfa fields, as well as, feed grounds, where producers are feeding cattle and sheep.  Some areas in the Yellowstone River stay open all winter due to currents and some warm springs.  So, they have everything they need to survive. Goose season ends Wednesday, so they will be able to relax.  Actually that was a relatively small group in the photo, in comparison to some that fly over our house and pasture, as they go from fields to the river and return.

• Awesome 1