Dune

Allen

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

I've read most of the books including those by Herbert's son. The first movie was a muddled mess. Hopefully the new one will be better. 

It won't be.

Dune was famous only because it was the first scifi psychological novel. Which means it was the first psychological novel a lot of teens came across.

The problem with a novel where a lot of the action is happening inside peoples heads is that it's really tough to make that work on the big screen. A problem made worse by the intellectual limits of that interior dialogue.

I know what you're thinking (if you're a fan). There are some good quotes, "Fear is the mind killer".

But...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8341.Best_REAL_Psychological_Fiction

• Heart 1

We've got a new Dune movie coming? OK, I see it's going to be released in December and will be the first half of a two-parter.  I hope it's GREAT!

Patrick Stewart played Gurney Halleck in the 1984 version and I think that's why he was picked for Captain Jean Luc Picard in the series Star Trek: The Next Generation a few years later, which was a huge thing in itself because we original Star Trek fans had been waiting for it for nearly two decades.

A new dune might produce some future heroes as well.

15 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Can you stay excited till December 2020?

...did you ever notice they always say, "for erections lasting longer than four hours, consult a physician", but they never put an upper limit on it ?  When do you call the doctor ...a few days, a week, several months ?

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I will watch it.  I tried to read the books but they ended up on the started and not finished pile with the LOTR books.

I saw the Sting version a couple times, and really still did not understand what was going on.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I am willing to bet it is a let down :(  Like written by others, some books never translate to TV/movies. 

...Star Wars has made something like 10 or 11 movies out of the story material that could have been narrated in a SF short story collection.  Maybe a novella for Luke and his dad.

The Dune trilogy was pretty densely packed with characters and subplots, so I don't see how anyone is going to condense it into a 2 or 3 hour movie successfully. The first movie attempt only makes sense if you're really, really stoned. And even then it's almost unrecognizable as connected to the books.