Cherry

Dottleshead

I threw on some cuts of cherry wood onto my fire that was still smoldering in embers this morning when I awoke at 3:00 a.m.  Essentially is was a beautiful hue of dark red and orange.  The lava dome incinerated when I placed another 7 smaller cuts or so of cherry on it. My wife sleeps in the other room while the living room dances with yellow and orange flames as I write this.  It's 75 degrees in here and 48 outside and I know when she wakes up in about 2 hours, it's going to be a nice comfortable temperature in the low 70s.  I love these milder temps outside because it means I can get through the night and day with only a single bag of pellets -- or in a lot of cases -- like tonight -- no pellets and only a wood fire. 

Hey @Randomguy -- no auxillary electric furnace either!  Cheap heats.

• Heart 2

It’s 17° this morning. I just went down and loaded the furnace. It’s only 75° in here right now but it will warm up. My wife is coming home today so I need it at least 80°. This is not the homecoming I had hoped for. I expected her to ride the stairlift and then walk over to her recliner and sit down. She will be arriving by ambulance and carried up the stairs on a stretcher. I have a brand new hospital bed in the living room. It didn’t come with sheets so I’m heading out to buy some soon.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It’s 17° this morning. I just went down and loaded the furnace. It’s only 75° in here right now but it will warm up. My wife is coming home today so I need it at least 80°. This is not the homecoming I had hoped for. I expected her to ride the stairlift and then walk over to her recliner and sit down. She will be arriving by ambulance and carried up the stairs on a stretcher. I have a brand new hospital bed in the living room. It didn’t come with sheets so I’m heading out to buy some soon.

Glad she's coming home, sorry it isn't the homecoming you wanted.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Way to go!

Any reasonable way to cut down on heat costs is worth mentioning and being proud of!

One of my chemistry professors, around 1972, had a thermostat-controlled fan that blew air through a copper pipe that wound into rings in his fire placed and emerged into a wide diffuser.

That was the first time I'd ever seen a fireplace and a thermostat coupled together - and at a time you could get firewood for next to nothing.

• Heart 1