Fake Crab Travel News

MickinMD

...when I was a kid, we used trot lines with chicken parts and those string dip nets to take crabs. Getting them out of the net and into the 5 gallon bucket was part of the adventure.  I can even remember wading around in the weeds near Chesapeake Beach and catching them as they dodged away.  It wasn't very efficient, but we were kids so it didn't matter. :) 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Yep. For lunch. Stayed in Rehoboth Beach. 

Some people won’t eat at Sambo’s because they think it is racist name.  I think Sambo was someone’s nickname not a slur.   It is a dive bar. Pure and simple. Food is often good but occasionally it sucks. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Some people won’t eat at Sambo’s because they think it is racist name.  I think Sambo was someone’s nickname not a slur.   It is a dive bar. Pure and simple. Food is often good but occasionally it sucks. 

There was a chain of Sambo's here in the PNW. Breakfast joint but open 24 hours. It had a black boy on the logo. It was racist. They are all closed now or changed the name

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...when I was a kid, we used trot lines with chicken parts and those string dip nets to take crabs. Getting them out of the net and into the 5 gallon bucket was part of the adventure.  I can even remember wading around in the weeds near Chesapeake Beach and catching them as they dodged away.  It wasn't very efficient, but we were kids so it didn't matter. :) 

Back in the 60's and 70's, you knew someone was a real friend if they told you where on the Chesapeake Bay you could "push" for crabs- walking and catching them as they scurried around. We each had a old car inner tube tied to a string which we tied to our belt. We sat a bushel basket in the inner tube and a bucket of bay water on the shore for soft crabs.

On a good summer's day, two of would get to the spot by 5:30 am and by noon we'd have 2 bushels of hard crabs and 1-2 dozen soft crabs.

• Heart 2