TV Judges "dismissing case" or "directing to DMV to..."

MickinMD

On "Caught in Providence," the TV Judge just dismissed a case of running a red light.  The poor woman involved cried tears of relief.

How is that possible since he's not a real judge and can't direct a city, motor vehicle administration, etc. to do ANYTHING at all?

I've seen Judge Judy say, "I'm going to direct the Department of Motor Vehicles..." to change a ruling.  Even when she was a real judge, she did NOT hear motor vehicle cases and had no authority to direct the DMV to do anything. HOW can she do it as a TV judge when it's not even in any jurisdiction where she has lived?

Is it a violation of the law to impersonate a real judge by saying you "dismiss," "direct," etc. and control the decisions of a governmental agency?

A friend told me of a civil case a friend of hers had in a real court where the Judge Judy show really liked the case and retried it on TV, with everyone pretending the actual court case and the actual court decision - which would continue to stand no matter what Judge Judy ruled - never happened.  Apparently the people involved would be compensated to reflect any difference from the real ruling.

56 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

On "Caught in Providence," the TV Judge just dismissed a case of running a red light.  The poor woman involved cried tears of relief.

How is that possible since he's not a real judge and can't direct a city, motor vehicle administration, etc. to do ANYTHING at all?

According to Wikipedia, that's a real courtroom setting. The judge is presiding over real proceedings.

"Since 1985 he has served as a Providence Municipal Court Judge.[2] Parts of the proceedings over which he presided, featuring low-level citations, ran for more than two decades on local television.[13][14] On September 24, 2018, the show Caught in Providence started national syndication."

7 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Mick, how did you ever become a doctor?  Get real, this is reality TV, it's not real.

That's the point. Defendants are relieved after not-real-Judge Judy says she'll direct the government's Department of Motor Vehicles to overturn a ruling they did in REAL life.

Has there been some kind of agreement made between the real court or DMV master to allow Judy to make a ruling?

47 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Assuming the judge's statements are true, I imagine there is a contract for arbitration between the parties. The parties are the defendant and the authority with jurisdiction in this case. It would be no different than a plea bargain, most of the time.

DING DING DING!

• Heart 1

I think I'm getting to be more of a grumpy old man and also more like a mentally disturbed honors chemistry student named "Mike" I once taught who used to get bent out of shape when the bell to end class was 15 seconds early or late compared to the exact time he kept.  I told him the bell system was a 30-year-old analog thing where a big wheel turned and you stick round plugs in the places where you want the bell to ring and you're lucky if it's only 15 seconds off and consistent from day-to-day.  The next day, he'd go crazy again, "WHY is the bell 15 seconds early today? It was 15 seconds late yesterday!"

Grump! Grump! Grump! Grump! Grump!  Find me more to grump about!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I think I'm getting to be more of a grumpy old man and also more like a mentally disturbed honors chemistry student named "Mike" I once taught who used to get bent out of shape when the bell to end class was 15 seconds early or late compared to the exact time he kept.  I told him the bell system was a 30-year-old analog thing where a big wheel turned and you stick round plugs in the places where you want the bell to ring and you're lucky if it's only 15 seconds off and consistent from day-to-day.  The next day, he'd go crazy again, "WHY is the bell 15 seconds early today? It was 15 seconds late yesterday!"

Grump! Grump! Grump! Grump! Grump!  Find me more to grump about!

Acceptance is the first step to recovery.