This seems fitting

Parr8hed

54 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

He's still growing isn't he? How long will the fitting last?

Heck, I'm not growing and my fit on the bike has continued to evolve.

A good fitting gets a ride 95%+ of the way to an optimum set up on the bike, but I see lots of tweaks for G's fit coming over the next year as he grows, as he changes flexibility, as he fixes one "blocker" & reveals a new one, and as he continues to develop his riding technique.   

It is amazing how after my first "true" fitting, I started using the drops more, which then made me tweak other things, which then led to me being even more comfortable in the drops, which led to... and the circle still continues.

What's important is for Parr to keep track of is the new starting point, and to always remember to mark/notate the current state before changing to a new position, so that he can easily revert back to the last "good" fit point if he changes something that doesn't work out.  I once thought a simple saddle swap - same brand, similar shape, but apparently WAY different rail height - would be an easy no-brainer swap. It wasn't, and by the time I went back to the old saddle, all sorts of stuff was adjusted differently and it took a few rides (with adjustments made on the rides) to return just to the old good starting point.  

• Heart 1

I don't know if this is the first fit or not. He needs to be set up for power but only if his form is correct. A kid can do a lot of damage by working under the assumption that a fit is the definitive solution. The fit should include some long conversations on what and why.

• Heart 1

Believe it or not, I got a free fitting - not an exhaustive one - at Dick's Sporting Goods.

The salesman was a competitive mountain biker and he first got my attention when he was giving me signs not to buy the $599 comfort bike another salesman was trying to sell me. I came back later and the mountain biker said, "If you're just looking for an exercise bike, there's a mountain bike on sale for $299, down from $499, that has better quality brakes, derailleurs, etc. than that hybrid bike and only weighs 2 lbs more."

I got and he began doing the fitting for me.  I had had big problems, including an operation and a lot of physical therapy on my Achilles Tendons - a key reason I wanted to cycle - and he found my best seat position then lowered it 1" to ease the stretch on the Achilles - which have since healed and I raised it back up.

I wasn't a complete fitting, but that mountain biker put me in position where I only had a little pain after riding in my Achilles for about a year, then they began to heal until no pain from cycling or walking today -healing two decades after the operation and physical therapy.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

He's still growing isn't he? How long will the fitting last?

Yes, still growing but has slowed down some.  I think that this was important to get rid of some pesky low back pain and some wonky knee issues. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Heck, I'm not growing and my fit on the bike has continued to evolve.

A good fitting gets a ride 95%+ of the way to an optimum set up on the bike, but I see lots of tweaks for G's fit coming over the next year as he grows, as he changes flexibility, as he fixes one "blocker" & reveals a new one, and as he continues to develop his riding technique.   

It is amazing how after my first "true" fitting, I started using the drops more, which then made me tweak other things, which then led to me being even more comfortable in the drops, which led to... and the circle still continues.

What's important is for Parr to keep track of is the new starting point, and to always remember to mark/notate the current state before changing to a new position, so that he can easily revert back to the last "good" fit point if he changes something that doesn't work out.  I once thought a simple saddle swap - same brand, similar shape, but apparently WAY different rail height - would be an easy no-brainer swap. It wasn't, and by the time I went back to the old saddle, all sorts of stuff was adjusted differently and it took a few rides (with adjustments made on the rides) to return just to the old good starting point.  

Great explanation.

48 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Very cool, how did it go? I enjoyed my fit, found it very interesting.

frickin-laser-beams-5a72a4.jpg

It went really well.  Lasted about 2.5 hours.  His coach is the one that did it so the interview portion went pretty quick because he was already very familiar with history, riding style, bikes, goals, etc.  It was really neat to watch and the beer was great!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I don't know if this is the first fit or not. He needs to be set up for power but only if his form is correct. A kid can do a lot of damage by working under the assumption that a fit is the definitive solution. The fit should include some long conversations on what and why.

Yea, first one.  Set up to try and eliminate some nagging little injuries.  He is really at an age where he is starting to put down power for longer periods of time and I didn't want to compound bad habits. 

• Heart 2