If hesitating to cycle far in home city solo

shootingstar

Over the past few decades, I've met occasional women who bikes with a friend or their partner,  but hesitate to go solo, for long bicycle rides in their own city.  I mean in a city with dedicated long bike paths and separated bike lanes.  And going 45-100 km, in their own city.  (Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary allow one to connect multiple bike routes where you can bike over 100+km in 1 day with only 15-20% whole trip on street.  It's great.)

They cite fear of flat tire.  I've been shown several times how to change flat....and I still haven't mastered it.  I just  understand where the bike route is...ie. near LRT train stop, etc. and be prepared to walk abit to get to it with bike.  Depending on the city, some buses do have bike racks, if you understand your transit system.

Yes, I have had to take taxi to get bike and self back home. It happened only once in last 30 years as someone who cycles 45-100 km. in her own city...across 3 cities where I've lived.  Other times I got onto transit train, used bus or walked a few km. I don't use clipless pedals so mountain bike shoes are quite walkable for these very rare situations.  

For women who have balked alot,  I encourage them not to worry so much if they understand their own local routes, are cycling during the day and know their options, if changing a flat is their biggest concern.  It hasn't stopped me.

Sometimes a person has to be shown the route once. Even the bike map can still be a barrier to some people since they need to actually experience riding the route.