I had fun today

BR46

26 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I brought home one of my race cars from the hobby shoppe today.  It's been sitting there for 3 months without selling and it was too overbuilt for me to lower the price anymore.  The motor, throttle and radio gear is worth too much.  It may get torn down for use in my pro comp drag car.  Your cylinder head is about as large as my whole car.

3531_l.jpg

1571_1.jpg

I like 

8 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I like 

And in the best racer tradition the doner motor is coming from a large 1/8 scale rock racer and going into a smaller 1/10th scale drag car.  This seems to be then newest fad in RC car racing and given my background I just have to give it a try.

All you need is 132 feet of parking lot plus shutdown room.

• Heart 3

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

And in the best racer tradition the doner motor is coming from a large 1/8 scale rock racer and going into a smaller 1/10th scale drag car.  This seems to be then newest fad in RC car racing and given my background I just have to give it a try.

How long is the track?  What's the top speed? 

11 minutes ago, BR46 said:

How long is the track?  What's the top speed? 

132 ft.  (1/10 quarter mile).  I haven't seen any speed measurements yet, but no prep cars take about 3 seconds to complete the run.  No prep racing is a bit less complicated than full on RC drag racing.  The track is swept only, there is no traction compound.  At this time most of the cars are based on something like a Traxxas Slash with a chassis conversion and narrowed suspension arms.  

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Bike parts too.

Brake rotors, new calipers and brake pads are cheaper on the motorhome then break pads and one rotor on the race bike. The superbike can chew up a 300 dollar rear tire every weekend if you push it hard. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

132 ft.  (1/10 quarter mile).  I haven't seen any speed measurements yet, but no prep cars take about 3 seconds to complete the run.  No prep racing is a bit less complicated than full on RC drag racing.  The track is swept only, there is no traction compound.  At this time most of the cars are based on something like a Traxxas Slash with a chassis conversion and narrowed suspension arms.  

About 25 years ago, we had a “dry lake” run. The parking lot of the horse track had recently been replaced. We had a full size quarter mile to work with. We had no electronic transponders but one guy had a professional video system. We set up a speed trap and counted frames to calculate the speed through the trap. 
This was just a fun club day and everyone was just running what they had. Only rules were only 1 motor and 4 wheels. The 2nd fastest car hit 72 mph. I was 3rd with 67. The fastest car was an asterisk. We all knew it was fastest, but it was a blur in the speed trap! We could not determine when it entered or left the trap! The best conservative guess was 85ish!

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, BR46 said:

I started the cylinder head modifications on the superbike today. 

Found a broken bearing...I'm glad I found it now and not at 180+ mph. 

Had to make some new tools to be able to get the head apart. It was snowing all day so I just played in the garage. 

Makes my attempt to fix the ground wire for the tail light on my 45 mph vintage snowmobile seem a little underwhelming... :unsure:

43 minutes ago, team scooter said:

on my 45 mph vintage snowmobile

We can fix that... I love playing with 2 smokers. We will shave the head, reshape the dome and raise the exhaust port 25 thousands. 

Seriously. 

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, BR46 said:

We can fix that... I love playing with 2 smokers. We will shave the head, reshape the dome and raise the exhaust port 25 thousands. 

Seriously. 

Truth be told, the old free air Cats were over achievers.  The Lynx 275cc twin (as apposed to the 250 singles) gets up to about 65ish mph on a crisp day. But I'd really like to install a race can (exhaust) just because brapp.  But the neighbors wouldn't appreciate the brapps echoing off the houses as much as I would. ;) 

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Broken bearing on the cam?

Yes it is. 

A friend of mine had a motor lock up at 170 mph at Road America a few years ago and walked away. He was probably slowed down to about 50 or 60 mph when he came off the bike. 

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

Truth be told, the old free air Cats were over achievers. 

If you like the old free air Cats my son's boss has one. 800cc King Cat factory race sled. Not pictured is a Polaris factory race sled...1 of  4 made that year  20200124_095717.jpg.a5e94a2f38db6b7cbd112f1c2880813f.jpg

20200124_095749.thumb.jpg.498237aa3d7c0943e7e7c7e07a439f3a.jpg

• Heart 2