The fish on my plate

late

That's the title of an episode of Frontline. One of the things the guy is doing in the show is eating fish for a year. He was expecting it to make him healthier. While his friends say he looks healthier, his basic stats like cholesterol and BP are the same.

That might mean nothing.

In a few years there are going to be some gold standard studies finishing up, and hopefully they will put this to bed. But it may well be that this would have to be done for decades to show benefit.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, late said:

That's the title of an episode of Frontline. One of the things the guy is doing in the show is eating fish for a year. He was expecting it to make him healthier. While his friends say he looks healthier, his basic stats like cholesterol and BP are the same.

That might mean nothing.

In a few years there are going to be some gold standard studies finishing up, and hopefully they will put this to bed. But it may well be that this would have to be done for decades to show benefit.

Not much of a "study" is it :(  Interesting story as an individual's journey, but useless as any sort of science.

Was his cholesterol or BP bad to begin with?  Cholesterol seems to have a big genetic component, and BP would likely have a series of variables that cause a person to have good, borderline,, or bad (high or low) BP.

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not much of a "study" is it :(  Interesting story as an individual's journey, but useless as any sort of science.

Was his cholesterol or BP bad to begin with?  Cholesterol seems to have a big genetic component, and BP would likely have a series of variables that cause a person to have good, borderline,, or bad (high or low) BP.

I did it because the guy swore off meat for a year, went all over the world doing this documentary, and his health stats (not just BP and cholesterol) were unchanged.

I have a suspicion that this boils down to the ratio of 3 to 6+9. If that's the case, the American diet could still leave you out of whack even if you eat fish every day. When I take Omegas, I take a regular 3, a Krill oil, and an Omega 7.

If I don't eat fish, I don't take it. Tonite we're having bluefish.

Gotta go look up a recipe.

1 minute ago, late said:

I did it because the guy swore off meat for a year, went all over the world doing this documentary, and his health stats (not just BP and cholesterol) were unchanged.

A great gig if you can get it!

And, since I didn't watch the show (yet), if his health stats were all "good" to begin with, I wouldn't expect much change. If his stats were "bad", it would be tough to isolate why they would change considering he was traveling all over the world during the documentary and that would really make it tough to differentiate what things were helpful or harmful.