Shabbat Shalom!

jsharr

On 1/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, jsharr said:

I wondered about that.  This is a progressive congregation, but I may have to rent one.

Maybe they have some paper ones in case someone forgets. When I, a Catholic, visited the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, all men had to wear yarmulkes or hats - an Australian guy with us had a Crocodile Dundee style hat and that sufficed - as we approached the very crowded men's section of the wall and they had paper yarmulkes for those of us without hats - . They stayed on our heads very well.

There was a pair of Jewish brothers on the high school chess team I coached. They were Reformed (progressive) Jews and I had to stop them from playing tricks like telling a pizza delivery service that their pizza had to be transported alone so that fumes from the pepperoni they couldn't eat that was on other pizzas wouldn't contaminate their pizza.

I asked them what was the difference between Orthodox, Conservative, and Reformed Jews.  They answered as follows:

A young Jewish boy came home and told his parents he wanted a Christmas Tree like his friends had.  Dad said, "OK," but Mom said, "Only if a Rabbi will perform a Bracha, a Jewish blessing, on the tree.

So the father went to an Orthodox Rabbi and asked, "Will you perform a bracha on a Christmas tree?"  Instantly the Rabbi said, "No," and showed him the door.

Then the father went to a Conservative Rabbi and asked the same question.  The Rabbi thought for a few minutes, then said, "I'm sorry. I've considered every way to possibly justify it and I can't find one. So no, I can't bless a Christmas Tree."

Then the father went to a Reformed Rabbi and asked, "Will you say a Bracha for a Christmas Tree?"  The Rabbi answered, "Sure. Just tell me one thing: What's a Bracha?"

If they're right, you should have no problem!

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Are the Boy Scouts some kind of church or something?  Just what kind of assets do they have that would make it worth the time of their allegers to get sued over?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/us/boy-scouts-lawsuit.html

Lets discuss this offline.  Maybe call me