Hurry up and wait.

donkpow

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I worked on a furnace this morning and I have to replace refrigerator later today. I hate this kind of schedule.

Ok so you agreed I got a good deal on the furnace guy coming out for $100.  I like you.  You appear to know what you are doing.  But I don't have a need to repair or troubleshoot my refrigerator so ... I still like you but I don't know if you know what you are doing.

Just now, Dottles said:

Ok so you agreed I got a good deal for the furnace guy to come out for $100.  I like you.  You appear to know what you are doing.  But I don't have a need to repair or troubleshoot my refrigerator but I still like you and it doesn't matter if you know what you are doing.

We are going to set the refrigerator in the garage to see if it can be cheaply fixed. I doubt it. The unit runs continuously but only makes 40° F. Either the compressor is worn out or the charge has been partially lost. It's possible it is a control issue but I doubt it.

11 minutes ago, donkpow said:

We are going to set the refrigerator in the garage to see if it can be cheaply fixed. I doubt it. The unit runs continuously but only makes 40° F. Either the compressor is worn out or the charge has been partially lost. It's possible it is a control issue but I doubt it.

You want that @petitepedal come over after work and clean the coils for you?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

So you recharge the fridge and now you have a beer fridge in the garage, win, win.

Is the garage heated? The crappy refrigerant that they replaced Freon with will thicken in cold weather and kill the compressor. The fridges that they make for outdoor or unseated buildings now have heaters in them to keep the refrigerant warm. They cost a lot more and use more electric because of the heaters. The best garage fridges are probably twenty years old. I don’t remember what year they made the switch.

• Heart 1

I have a refrigerator and freezer in my basement that are 30-40 years old, sat in 3 feet of water during Hurricane Irene in 2011 and within two years stopped working. I've been thinking of playing with them to see if fixing them is simple. But they're so old I should trash then and that's on my to do list for this spring. I don't actually need them anymore.

I lost power for 3 days during the hurricane. I now have a generator as a result.

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

So you recharge the fridge and now you have a beer fridge in the garage, win, win.

Is the garage heated? The crappy refrigerant that they replaced Freon with will thicken in cold weather and kill the compressor. The fridges that they make for outdoor or unseated buildings now have heaters in them to keep the refrigerant warm. They cost a lot more and use more electric because of the heaters. The best garage fridges are probably twenty years old. I don’t remember what year they made the switch.

There is already a spare refrigerator in the garage. It's my brother in law's stuff for the rental units. The garage is not heated but winters are mild here. If you wait until winter to defrost the one that is out there, it is very easy to do. The cold temperature in the garage keeps the box temperature below its set point. Since the temperature is above freezing, the freezer box defrosts. Wallah!

The old one is probably R-22. The one I am dealing with today is likely something else. I'll need to look at the label.