Thick or thin

Airehead

Bacon - yes

Other meats, thick. Wife invariably will buy thinner (i.e. cheaper) cuts of pork chops or beef for me to grill and I call them "grilling challenges." While I don't want to ridicule her grocery shopping and she hasn't take nthe hint about thickness when grilling, thinking about establishing a rule - If I am grilling it, I am buying it. The problem with that is - she buys for the week with weekly meal planning, but I buy for the day (and don't have to defrost) which lays the groundwork for it to be considered a criticism - Can't win either way.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

she buys for the week with weekly meal planning, but I buy for the day (and don't have to defrost) which lays the groundwork for it to be considered a criticism - Can't win either way

I was doing a lot of buying for the day last year when I was able to get out more. It was fun buying fresh stuff (lots of fresh produce from my Amish neighbors). This year I will be getting a lot of frozen stuff I suppose. I’m going to try to combine my doctor appointments with grocery shopping when I have already hired a care giver to cover for me.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

There is a local smoke house that makes an applewood smoked bacon that has ruined me for big brand bacon. They sell it sliced any way you like it, but the pre packed, vacuum sealed packages are fairly thick sliced. A friend buys it by the chunk and cooks it on a fork over a fire. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I was doing a lot of buying for the day last year when I was able to get out more. It was fun buying fresh stuff (lots of fresh produce from my Amish neighbors). This year I will be getting a lot of frozen stuff I suppose. I’m going to try to combine my doctor appointments with grocery shopping when I have already hired a care giver to cover for me.

Good plan

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

How do you like your bacon?

Thick. But I won't overpay for it. Low salt regular bacon was on sale Thursday at Wegman's so I got it.

It's going in the Haluski I'm going to make next week: fried cabbage and noodles and onion - to which I'm adding bacon and peas. Our family's expert-Polish-food-cook, cousin Eleanor, says I should try it without the additions first to see it I like it, but I don't see how they can hurt.

It's supposed to be buttered but the bacon grease will take care of half of that.

• Heart 1

Walking through the local Navy Commissary and Exchange today as newly eligible with law that took effect. Was only on a scouting trip price comparing but it took every ounce of willpower to drag myself away from the bacon with it's excellent pricing, $3.50 and looked nice. Other items not so much and you really have to know competitive prices where you normally shop. In retrospect, I should have bought at least one item to make sure the registration, completed yesterday at Patrick AFB was DOD wide. Felt strange to be back on an AF Base yesterday...and when I saw the medical facility next to the Exchange reminded me how often tried to get stationed there.

Will test it next week when visit mother in Tampa General Hospital as MacDill is very close with both on/in Tampa Bay.