Philly Cheese steaks for dinner

Airehead

Sounds so good!  There is a fantastic sub shop near me, but they maken a "original" Philly Cheesesteak that is ONLY beef, onions, and cheese.

There are sites on the Internet that warn people against finding peppers, mushrooms, etc. and tell them to stay away.

I am not impressed with the original!

So I go across the street from that otherwise fantastic sub shop, where there is a Korean-owned sub shop that makes EXCELLENT Philly cheesesteaks - with bell pepper and mushroom and a good sauce.  I like provolone cheese in mine - American is ok.

If I didn't buy so much chicken and fish lately, this is making hungry for one of those cheese steaks.  So I have to "suffer" with Peruvian seasoned chicken thighs, nuked potatoes with sour cream, and a veggie or stewed tomatoes or Bushes Baked Beans.  Tomorrow and the next day will be Hallibut Filet with scalloped potatoes and a veggie then that Half Chicken marinaded with Sweet BBQ Sauce that you bake in it's plastic bag and rice with peas and broccoli.

• Heart 1

Circa summer of 1987 I was TDY in Philly supporting Spirit of America (a show put on by The Old Guard). 

We were staying in a hotel near the Spectrum where the show was and after shift would hit up this nearby cheese steak stand on the walk back. The first time I went there I order a cheese steak and the guy yells at me WID!?!?! What? Even louder & angrier, WID!!!???!?!?  Yeah wid (whatever the hell that meant was beyond me). I believe “WID!!!?!?!” Is “with” as in with onions & peppers but am not sure. Definitely didn’t have cheese wiz on it and he said it with a hard D. Wid...

From that point on I was ordering like a pro, 1 cheese steak.... WID!!!!  I have had them since but none have been as good as those from the stand in Philly.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Circa summer of 1987 I was TDY in Philly supporting Spirit of America (a show put on by The Old Guard). 

We were staying in a hotel near the Spectrum where the show was and after shift would hit up this nearby cheese steak stand on the walk back. The first time I went there I order a cheese steak and the guy yells at me WID!?!?! What? Even louder & angrier, WID!!!???!?!?  Yeah wid (whatever the hell that meant was beyond me). I believe “WID!!!?!?!” Is “with” as in with onions & peppers but am not sure. Definitely didn’t have cheese wiz on it and he said it with a hard D. Wid...

From that point on I was ordering like a pro, 1 cheese steak.... WID!!!!  I have had them since but none have been as good as those from the stand in Philly.

There is definitely etiquette of ordering a cheesesteak in Philadelphia.  People/the cooks and cashiers do get territorial about the way it’s done.   Do it wrong and they will yell at you or not let you order until you watch a few experts. WID or widout.  And good golly Miss Molly, don’t order drinks or sides from the steak guy. What the heck do you think the cashier is for???  And kNow what you want, no lolly gagging in line. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Airehead said:

There is definitely etiquette of ordering a cheesesteak in Philadelphia.  People/the cooks and cashiers do get territorial about the way it’s done.   Do it wrong and they will yell at you or not let you order until you watch a few experts. WID or widout.  And good golly Miss Molly, don’t order drinks or sides from the steak guy. What the heck do you think the cashier is for???  And kNow what you want, no lolly gagging in line. 

Those iconic south Philly places are too pretentious in their Philly way.  I like the little neighborhood shops.  Although at one of the very good ones the guy does get emphatic aboot no lettuce on a hoagie.  Just gobs and gobs of meat, onions, tomatoes, and peppers, preferably roasted Italian long hots.  Oh my, I love those! :slow-dance-smiley:

• Awesome 1