GPS/GIS hacking

shootingstar

My Garmin GPS bike and running computers both use the USA GPS and the Russian GLONASS GPS. I wonder if things like aircraft and ships can use both and maybe crosscheck against each other?

Also back in my day aircraft also had INS (Inertial Navigation System), TACAN, and VOR/DME system for navigation. Hopefully some of those systems are still in use as least for redundancy. 

Of course the fun will really start if there's a major conflict and the countries with GPS systems either degrade them our just turn them off.

There are backups, as well as considerable research for more backups and robust systems resistant to jamming,  but they are predominately developed for the military and would add a significant price tag to civilian systems.

Jerry mentioned that we used to use inertial systems.  Today there are hybrid systems going into service in the military that use both at the same time.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There are backups, as well as considerable research for more backups and robust systems resistant to jamming,  but they are predominately developed for the military and would add a significant price tag to civilian systems.

Jerry mentioned that we used to use inertial systems.  Today there are hybrid systems going into service in the military that use both at the same time.

Reverse engineered alien technology, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Reverse engineered alien technology, no doubt.

Actually what we learned in Roswell is that aliens don't have navigation equipment on their ships.  They do it entirely within their heads.  This points out the reason that alien ships usually have all male crews.  Nobody, not even aliens, want's to visit the wife's conversation of "your lost again"  "No I'm not.  I know exactly where I am".

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Actually what we learned in Roswell is that aliens don't have navigation equipment on their ships.  They do it entirely within their heads.  This points out the reason that alien ships usually have all male crews.  Nobody, not even aliens, want's to visit the wife's conversation of "your lost again"  "No I'm not.  I know exactly where I am".

Oh, you’re gonna burn for that. 

• Haha 1