Condensed milk

Airehead

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Is the home made that much better?  I rarely use condensed milk except in donair sauce, but have always just bought it.  Is it worth making?

Yes that much better. Only takes patience. You don’t even stir it while it simmers. In this application I am making maple ice cream so this will be a good base. 

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, late said:

You can take a tin of condensed, simmer in a pot for a while, I forget how long. And when you're done, it's caramelised and nice.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

3 hours at low boil.  

I did this for a duck recipe I was making.  It turns into a wonderful dulce de leche type stuff that I only used part of and flat out ate the rest.   

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

f4bb430dc1ed2dc4cb8000e5ff2ff570.thumb.jpg.9ac6d54d2cfcbdba066215f31369c414.jpg

Not condensed 

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Up here anyway..., evaporared and condensed milk are not the same thing.  Condensed is sweeter.

Correct. Both have half the water removed but evaporated in not sweet. Condensed becomes liquid sugar in recipes and ensures they are smooth with no granular feel from sugar crystals. 

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Not condensed 

Correct. Both have half the water removed but evaporated in not sweet. Condensed becomes liquid sugar in recipes and ensures they are smooth with no granular feel from sugar crystals. 

Fine. You caught me. We were lucky to have powdered milk anyway. And not the good powered milk, the fake powdered milf from Bi-Lo. 

2016-11-09-1478732666-9140467-powderedmilk-thumb.jpg.f1c2b3f06bab5bc0b849365f2e951a27.jpg

• Heart 1