Tonight's beer

Ralphie

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm not an IPA fan.

Oddly, that used to be true for me, but now I am findiing more and more IPAs that I like.  Either the market is evolving (it is) or my palate is evolving (likely too).

I'd suggest randomly giving new ones a shot.  Also, I think food pairing comes into play as well, so maybe experiment there as well.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oddly, that used to be true for me, but now I am findiing more and more IPAs that I like.  Either the market is evolving (it is) or my palate is evolving (likely too).

I'd suggest randomly giving new ones a shot.  Also, I think food pairing comes into play as well, so maybe experiment there as well.

The tartness is bad IMO. I've taken a sip here or there and ? Also not a fan of anything fruity.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

They seem to be calling just about anything they want an IPA now. Not much in common with the India Pale Ale that the British shipped off to their soldiers stationed in India in the nineteenth century.

The understanding I had was it was brewed strong for shipping to India a British colony at the time. The intent was to make it strong so it could be shipped easier to India where it could be diluted down to the strength of a normal pale ale and save on shipping costs. The British soldiers decided they liked it better in the undiluted state and thus was created the original IPA. 

I see some things labeled IPA now that are low alcohol and some that you cannot even taste the hops. The only thing I can suggest is a buy it and try it attitude and if you don’t like it don’t buy it.  I think I would like to try a pint of the original stuff they shipped off to India.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I agree 100% with @Longjohn.  An IPA should START at 52 IBU's (international bittering units), but they call many Pale Ales (fewer than 52 IBU's) IPA's nowadays.  I also don't like the late hop additions with hardly any early or mid hop additions to the boil time.  Ya, I need to brew a good IPA.

Also, the hops were believed to keep the beer going to India from spoiling.  Yup, a mighty fine brew, I'm sure!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, smudge said:

I agree 100% with @Longjohn.  An IPA should START at 52 IBU's (international bittering units), but they call many Pale Ales (fewer than 52 IBU's) IPA's nowadays.  I also don't like the late hop additions with hardly any early or mid hop additions to the boil time.  Ya, I need to brew a good IPA.

Also, the hops were believed to keep the beer going to India from spoiling.  Yup, a mighty fine brew, I'm sure!

First and foremost, I want a good tasting beer, so I really don't care what folks call it.  It can be an "IPA" or just "beer" or "ale", but yeah, it is wonky if there is a standard rating and they are ignoring it on purpose.

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

First and foremost, I want a good tasting beer, so I really don't care what folks call it.  It can be an "IPA" or just "beer" or "ale", but yeah, it is wonky if there is a standard rating and they are ignoring it on purpose.

I bought a variety pack of Founders, lots of people rate the brewery highly. The stuff in the variety pack was ok but one beer was called Founders All Day IPA. It think it was nothing more than renamed Coors Light.

• Confused 1