Shopping and plastics

Dirtyhip

Been doing well so far with the fresh goals of living a cleaner lifestyle.

We avoided packaging, this weeks, on the following products by either making them or buying in my own sacks and jars. I avoided most of the isles in the store Stayed in produce, dairy (still on the cheese), and bulk section.  I did buy Bob's flour.  I need a grain mill.

Dish soap

Auto Dish soap

laundry soap

Bread

Buns

Granola

Peanut butter

Honey

garbanzo beans

Struggles:  Tare weight is still an issue.  As I checked out yesterday, a jar of PB rang up for over $7.01.  WRONG!!!  I asked her to ring it again, but this time take off the tare weight.  The PB then rang up for 3.50.  It took her almost 3-5 minutes to fiddle around with my jar.  The jar weighs almost two pounds.  When she finally figured it out, it took her about 6 seconds.  She said "I was confused by the jar.  I am used to the printed tare tags."  I said "What is different about it?  The verified amounts are written in ozs and pounds on my jar."  Her reply "It's because it was a jar. It confused me."  

Some things just are not available without the plastic.  That is very disheartening.  I am forced to buy it with so many things.  I really hope we can find alternatives. 

I am certain that I am one of the few that is really caring about this and actively trying to avoid these kind of materials. 

Garbage can this week was one 3/4 full safeway bag.  Last week the bag was almost empty.  Bike cables and wrap took up a ton of space.  Hoping to do better next week.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Been doing well so far with the fresh goals of living a cleaner lifestyle.

We avoided packaging, this weeks, on the following products by either making them or buying in my own sacks and jars. I avoided most of the isles in the store Stayed in produce, dairy (still on the cheese), and bulk section.  I did buy Bob's flour.  I need a grain mill.

Dish soap

Auto Dish soap

laundry soap

Bread

Buns

Granola

Peanut butter

Honey

garbanzo beans

Struggles:  Tare weight is still an issue.  As I checked out yesterday, a jar of PB rang up for over $7.01.  WRONG!!!  I asked her to ring it again, but this time take off the tare weight.  The PB then rang up for 3.50.  It took her almost 3-5 minutes to fiddle around with my jar.  The jar weighs almost two pounds.  When she finally figured it out, it took her about 6 seconds.  She said "I was confused by the jar.  I am used to the printed tare tags."  I said "What is different about it?  The verified amounts are written in ozs and pounds on my jar."  Her reply "It's because it was a jar. It confused me."  

Some things just are not available without the plastic.  That is very disheartening.  I am forced to buy it with so many things.  I really hope we can find alternatives. 

I am certain that I am one of the few that is really caring about this and actively trying to avoid these kind of materials. 

Garbage can this week was one 3/4 full safeway bag.  Last week the bag was almost empty.  Bike cables and wrap took up a ton of space.  Hoping to do better next week.

Right there with you DH. I reuse everything I can. I bought a box of 80 garbage bags in 2017. I still have at least 20 remaining. I figure I use about 20 each year. I make stock out of bones and vegetable scraps. 

Our grocery store with the best bulk section is closing in a couple of weeks. I'll need to find an alternative. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

As I checked out yesterday, a jar of PB rang up for over $7.01.  WRONG!!!  I asked her to ring it again, but this time take off the tare weight. 

I'm genuinely curious...  I promise I am not being a smart-ass.  Where do you find bulk peanut butter?  Do you just scoop it out of a barrel or something?  

Where did you find the recipe for the dish soap and auto dish soap? 

1 minute ago, Forum Administrator said:

I'm genuinely curious...  I promise I am not being a smart-ass.  Where do you find bulk peanut butter?  Do you just scoop it out of a barrel or something?  

My grocery store has a peanut butter machine. You turn it on and hold a jar under the nozzle. It grinds the whole peanuts into peanut butter. No other ingredients.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

My grocery store has a peanut butter machine. You turn it on and hold a jar under the nozzle. It grinds the whole peanuts into peanut butter. No other ingredients.

That is the coolest thing ever.  Would it be called anything other than Peanut Butter Machine?  I'm trying to find one near me, but I am not having any luck.

16 minutes ago, dennis said:

Right there with you DH. I reuse everything I can. I bought a box of 80 garbage bags in 2017. I still have at least 20 remaining. I figure I use about 20 each year. I make stock out of bones and vegetable scraps. 

Our grocery store with the best bulk section is closing in a couple of weeks. I'll need to find an alternative. 

I use about 52 garbage bags a year, but there are THREE of us!  Woot!!!! Well under the 20/yr mark :D

I still find a bonfire is the easiest and most entertaining way to dispose of waste.  Plastic even adds neat color to the flames.

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I am sure that machine is cleaned and maintained properly to not cause any issues.

And you know this because you've been there to inspect it. Please stop by and say hi next time you are in town. I'm sure DH would appreciate it too next time you are in her town inspecting the machine.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

Peanut butter should NEVER have any other ingredients except peanuts (and salt if you like it).

But why not just use a blender to make your own?  Too much of a PITA to clean the blender?

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Peanut butter should NEVER have any other ingredients except peanuts (and salt if you like it).

But why not just use a blender to make your own?  Too much of a PITA to clean the blender?

I agree, but many have added crap.

I don't eat enough to make it myself. You'd probably need a high powered blender or food processor so you don't burn out the motor. 

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I haven't had a good blender in years.  I don't really have a need for one.  

...and I like a little bit of honey in my peanut butter. 

3 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I haven't had a good blender in years.  I don't really have a need for one.  

...and I like a little bit of honey in my peanut butter. 

Honey is an "add on" since there are plenty of times where it is a nice addition, but often, plain PB is the way to roll. It takes a second to add honey, but it is impossible to remove it. :)

And a good blender is a great investment.

29 minutes ago, dennis said:

I agree, but many have added crap.

I don't eat enough to make it myself. You'd probably need a high powered blender or food processor so you don't burn out the motor. 

My Omega juicer can grind PB and almond butter.  Our local store has almond and peanut butter from machines in the store.

24 minutes ago, Indy said:

I sure the hell I am not about to use a machine anyone can use considering most people's hygiene standards.

Do you trust any processed foods?  If you buy anything in a box, you have probably eaten mouse turds and other nasties. 

Food from processing plants is recalled all the time.  I think you are being hypocritical to make these comments, if you eat foods from ConAg.  It isn't just the mouse turds that you should be concerned about.  Additives that the manufacturers put in common foods is disgusting and vile.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

I trust it a hell of a lot more than a random machine in a grocery store that any random guy could walk by and stick his junk on.  At least processing plants do have standards and quality control.  For the amount of product they pump out, the recall rate is extremely low.

And most additives are perfectly safe, people just freak out because they can't pronounce them.  But hey, some idiot on the internet researched it and found it could possibly be connected by some extremely small possibility to something, let's just ignore the internet idiot barely graduated from high school.  Of course the same idiot probably didn't wash their hands after scratching their junk and is now getting peanut butter from the peanut butter machine.

I thought farm people were tough.  You seem to be all concerned over a non-issue.  Yeah, the news is filled with stories of people getting sick from a local peanut butter grinder.  

LOL

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

There are all kinds of recipes online.  There are all kinds of recipes using borax, washing soda, salt, citric acid, etc. I can usually find these items in paper, except for the citric acid.  That tends to be sold in plastic.  I am still perfecting my recipe.  Some are better than others.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Farm people are self reliant.  We would come up with our own grinder because we don't trust people to not do what they aren't supposed to do, the general population are complete idiots and at least a factory is mostly automated with processes and controls to deal with the idiots.

So, you grind your own PB or you trust someone else to package it?  If you buy it, you are not so self reliant.  

It seems very important to you to post negative points in just about every thread, where I talk about trying to do something positive for the planet.  You are either being very rude, or you are concerned about my health?  Personally, I think you just like to post rude comments to tear down the positive point I was trying to talk about in my thread.

Just now, Indy said:

I can't grow peanuts, so the entire self reliance thing is kind of mute to begin with.

And I'm just trying to have a discussion.  Anymore, people can't seem to handle people have a differing opinion from them and least I checked this is an organic whatever forum, so you should expect a differing opinions.  But I get it, I'm a dinosaur and seems I am not welcome here anymore.

So fuck it.  Square Wheels can delete my account, not like anyone would fucking miss me anyways.  Then you can sit around, sing fucking kumbia and think you are superior to everyone.

Good grief.  I called you out for being negative all the time in my threads, and you want to pack up and leave?  

I was trying to have a discussion as well. Go back and read how negative you are in most of my environment threads.  Honestly, it seems to be that way in most of my threads. 

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

I've been working on being more aware and reducing my usage - not just plastics, whatever I can.  It's amazing how much low hanging fruit is there in this effort.

Yes.  I reduced pretty quickly with just a few changes.  Some things, I just can't justify buying anymore.  Butter lettuce.  They just don't even sell it without that horrible clam shell. 

When we slow down, I hope to do a garden again.  Right now, we just have too much fun for sticking around to harvest veggies. 

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Wegman's grocery stores are no longer using plastic bags as of today.  I have 3 of my own reusable bags I'll start using. Greta would love me.

I still feel a little guilty buying Wegman's put-in-the-oven or microwave plastic containers of chicken, fish, pasta, etc.

But on my last visit to Wegmans I bought one of their big (about 2' x 1.5' x 0.75'), insulated bags for $11.99.  The cashier asked me if I wanted to put all the food I bought in it and I did.  I have another Costco bag like that which I use for most of my grocery shopping so I'm piling up plastic bags much less than before.  Now I have two bags for days when I buy a lot.

113242232_WegmansInsulatedBag.jpg.916ade4ccc2906f4623f3d73dca97cf9.jpg61sPCS8ndOL._SY355_.jpg.6febb25f8f35c86e7bf67019a1ec3d55.jpg

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

No, you perceive any comment disagreeing with you as being negative, and a direct attack on you.  And then you call me out as going after you when I was just trying to provide a counterpoint.

Well, thank you for letting me know that you are concerned about the possible issues from the local PB grinder.   I am not to worried about becoming sick from that.  

Just now, MickinMD said:

I still feel a little guilty buying Wegman's put-in-the-oven or microwave plastic containers of chicken, fish, pasta, etc.

But on my last visit to Wegmans I bought one of their big (about 2' x 1.5' x 0.75'), insulated bags for $11.99.  The cashier asked me if I wanted to put all the food I bought in it and I did.  I have another Costco bag like that which I use for most of my grocery shopping so I'm piling up plastic bags much less than before.  Now I have two bags for days when I buy a lot.

113242232_WegmansInsulatedBag.jpg.916ade4ccc2906f4623f3d73dca97cf9.jpg61sPCS8ndOL._SY355_.jpg.6febb25f8f35c86e7bf67019a1ec3d55.jpg

Those are nice. Mine were mostly free, but I do like the idea of insulation.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Cool.  I remember the 1950's, when I was less than 10 years-old, and my mother shopping at the old A&P supermarkets which had coffee grinders where you dumped the beans out of the bag into the hopper, attached the bag to the bottom opening, and groung your beans back into the bag.

I now have a Mr. Coffee Burr Grinder which has an 8 oz. hopper you dump some beans into, then you dial-in the type of grind (Drip, Espresso, etc.) and how many tablespoons.  After that, you just push the start button each morning and get the desired amount of fresh-ground beans dumped into a detachable container.  Ever since I got it I've thought about how much my late mother would have enjoyed it.

29 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Cool.  I remember the 1950's, when I was less than 10 years-old, and my mother shopping at the old A&P supermarkets which had coffee grinders where you dumped the beans out of the bag into the hopper, attached the bag to the bottom opening, and groung your beans back into the bag.

I now have a Mr. Coffee Burr Grinder which has an 8 oz. hopper you dump some beans into, then you dial-in the type of grind (Drip, Espresso, etc.) and how many tablespoons.  After that, you just push the start button each morning and get the desired amount of fresh-ground beans dumped into a detachable container.  Ever since I got it I've thought about how much my late mother would have enjoyed it.

Every LGS I go to has a grinder next to their bulk and bagged coffee.

18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Every LGS I go to has a grinder next to their bulk and bagged coffee.

They always ask at Costco if they spot you leaving with whole beans.

I prefer to grind at home, but those big ass grinders at Costco can grind 2 lbs very quickly.

7 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

That is the coolest thing ever.  Would it be called anything other than Peanut Butter Machine?  I'm trying to find one near me, but I am not having any luck.

I actually buy the nuts in bulk and make the peanut butter at home. 

31 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is the best option. I think the best machine for this would be my juicer.  It has a special butter attachment for this.  

I use my food processor and pre- roast.  nuts in oven a little for depth of flavor. The whole thing takes like five minutes. Just know it looks like a complete failure but then magically turns into a peanutty spread. You can add honey if you want or a little peanut oil if you want the smoothness of commercially made crap. 

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I use my food processor and pre- roast.  nuts in oven a little for depth of flavor. The whole thing takes like five minutes. Just know it looks like a complete failure but then magically turns into a peanutty spread. You can add honey if you want or a little peanut oil if you want the smoothness of commercially made crap. 

I have been using Adams for years.  Quality of the product seems to be the same, after switching to the PB machine at the natural food store. I have not eaten processed peanut butter in over 10 years.  That stuff is really sugary.  I remember how much different the taste was at first, when I switched over to natural.