Game food

Airehead

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Are you making any special food for the big game tomorrow?

We usually do the same thing each year.  Treat it like a party but don't invite anyone:)

We'll have a bunch of apps for dinner.  Bacon and cheddar tater skins, mozz sticks, chicken wangs, etc.  We'll watch the game.  I'll bitch about how late it starts because "people have to work in the morning".  Wife will LOL at the commercials.  Griffin will zone out on his phone and Em, will talk non-stop about 300 different topics that have nothing at all to do with anything in particular. 

It should be a fun day!

Oh, and we will have softball practice from 3-5.

• Heart 4

A couple is joining us for the game. Taco bar with ground beef and ground chicken. I’m using McCormick taco seasoning for the beef, a home made mix for the chicken (cumin, salt, Mexican oregano, chili powder, and flour)

Pickled Mexican vegetables (carrots, onion, garlic, jalapeños, and spices)

chili bean dip

guacamole

caramelized onion and roasted red pepper dip with veggies and chips for dipping 

• Heart 3

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No.  I like to watch the game by myself.  Years ago I'd go to a SB gathering and every time I did, watching the game was difficult, so I watch alone.  I'll grab a sandwich or soup at halftime.  I don't watch halftime.

Last time we went to a large gathering was the Superbowl with Janet Jackson's malfunction. A large contingent of the group was religious conservative. The 2nd half was hearing all their moral outrage. Personally, I found the dancers more offensive than the show of flesh, but they were all upset about a nipple. We basically stopped socializing with them not long after. 

I have to check with my sister for what she needs - a dozen or so of us will gather at her home.

I'm thinking of a couple frozen bags of chicken nuggets (Tyson, etc.), about 90 nuggets, around $10-$11 total at Walmart. and making up a bowl of cocktail sauce with ketchup, horseradish, and lemon juice so people can spoon some onto their plates to dip their nuggets in.  It's almost like steamed shrimp that way!

But if my sister already has lots of stuff (BBQ wings, etc.), I give her $20 to defray the cost and I have a bottle of Merlot on hand, some summer sausage and a block of Colby-Jack cheese and may add that to my contribution.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My favorite game food is probably venison but I don’t watch football.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Then I thought, wait... Do you mean food FOR game? Alfalfa? Corn? 

I usually have a ham and cheese sandwich from Oven King and a beer. Since I don't have my little bestie to share with, I'll get a pizza from Oven King this year. And a beer, of course!

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, dennis said:

Someone will have to explain the attraction of commercials to me. I thought people tried to avoid them and now you hear people say they plan to watch a three hour event on tv so they can see the commercials.

I'll probably go skiing.

The commercials are an attraction because the ad agencies are creating something new to sell their products/services. There is competition to gain advantage over others selling similar products. Discussing the ads helps people connect to others that they socialize with. The ad time is selling for about $5 million per 30 seconds.

• Heart 1