PayPal

Square Wheels

I bought something last year and was concerned it might not be a reputable site, so I made sure to use PayPal to protect me.  It wasn't that much money, just under $25.

I got the item, it was a clear fake, and came from China.

I contacted PayPal, they said to contact the supplier and return the item.  I sent at least a dozen email to the supplier, they didn't respond.

PayPal closed the case and said I lost because I didn't return the item.

I will never use PayPal again.  I demand you don't either.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Sorry.  I use paypal for virtually all of my hobby purchases.  I've never had a problem, but I've known in advance what the part was that I was buying.

Try contacting paypal again and demonstrate your attempts to contact the seller.  They do have an appeal process.

I did, they keep saying the same thing.  They claim the return address was provided, albeit in Chinese, but I looked at the very short claim and there was no info.

I had emailed the vendor several times before contacting PayPal.  No response.  Then I put in the claim and the vendor responded to me by email immediately say to please return the item.  They never provided any return info.  The original package had the return info in smudged 2 point font.  I had no way at all to return it.

PayPal said because I didn't return it, I lose.

PayPal loses.  I probably spend 20k (probably a lot more) a year online and often use PayPal.

Never again.

Awesome, here is their latest response.  I cannot respond.  I officially hate PayPal.

I am sorry to know that you feel that way. We have done all that is possible based on our procedures and policies to protect you purchase. Unfortunately, the instructions were not followed as sent in email so we are unable to proceed with this case further.

If it was returned on time then, we would have been able to close it in your favor with the refund.

Thank you for being a valuable PayPal customer. If you do not have any further question regarding your account, please click on the “X� button to end this chat session.

This conversation has been closed.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I did, they keep saying the same thing.  They claim the return address was provided, albeit in Chinese, but I looked at the very short claim and there was no info.

I had emailed the vendor several times before contacting PayPal.  No response.  Then I put in the claim and the vendor responded to me by email immediately say to please return the item.  They never provided any return info.  The original package had the return info in smudged 2 point font.  I had no way at all to return it.

PayPal said because I didn't return it, I lose.

PayPal loses.  I probably spend 20k (probably a lot more) a year online and often use PayPal.

Never again.

This is compelling.  What are you going to use instead?

25 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I bought something last year and was concerned it might not be a reputable site, so I made sure to use PayPal to protect me.  It wasn't that much money, just under $25.

I contacted PayPal, they said to contact the supplier and return the item.  I sent at least a dozen email to the supplier, they didn't respond.

You might try looking up PayPal's organization on the Internet, finding the name of the V.P. who handles such things, and write a complaining and politely threatening ("I don't know what else to do but consult a lawyer if this isn't resolved") email to him. Though under $25 might not be worth your time, a potentially larger lawsuit for not following through on PayPal's guarantees might get PayPal changing its conclusion.

When my mother passed away, I was executor of her estate.  A few months after I had closed the account, I found or received a $300+ gas and electric bill from our BGE utility. I could have said, "Too bad, the account's closed 9 months after being posted in the newspaper," but I did the right thing: I paid mom's bill out of my own pocket.

A couple months later, I began getting calls from a collection agency about the bill - apparently my payment occurred at about the same time the collection agency bought the bill from BGE.  I explained it has already been paid and even set up a 3-way phone call between BGE, the collection agency, and me where BGE said the bill had been paid. The bastard at the collection agency kept saying I still had to pay them the bill.

I began getting calls at 2 am from the collection agency, so I looked up the name of the VP in charge of that agency's collections and very politely indicated by email I would be consulting a lawyer soon if this harassment didn't stop.

The NEXT day I got a call from the V.P.'s assistant and the whole ordeal was ended in a minute.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

• Heart 1

They got me twice on cheap Chineseum junk last year. There was an ad on FB for a telephoto lens for an iPhone. I was suspicious of it but finally ordered it. It came without the mount for the phone. I contacted the seller and they said the mount wasn’t ordered. I couldn’t find any place to order the mount. They said I had to order another lense and then contact them before it ships and have them send the mount instead. I wasn’t about to do that. I eventually ordered the mount from a different FB ad. It was junk, would not attach to the phone. I didn’t try to contact pay pal, I knew I was taking a chance ordering junk off FB. At least I used pay pal and didn’t give the seller any bank information.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

No to Patreon, no to Pay Pal.  

wait...whut?

what is wrong with Patreon?  I only have 1 Patreon host. He seems legit. I get a nice podcast and eternal thanks for my support

In our business we use Paypal for 2 things. Contractors that are pumping up their airline mileage points. And past due accounts. Somehow contractors will pay by CC instead of a check. PP had some bogus hoops to jump through at the end of the year that was a PITA. I almost jumped to another provider....but inertia took hold

Next you are going to hate on gofundme.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

...I'm not surprised to hear that @jsharr 's company is scamming people on the internet with Chinese knock off fake products, but I am surprised tho hear they hired someone fluent in Mandarin.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

...in the other thread about grudges, you mentioned a car problem with a Toyota that was not resolved to your satisfaction.

I have some bad news for you, as a Tesla owner,  in that Elon Musk got his startup cash for Tesla by selling off his stake in PayPal, the company he co-founded.

Probably nothing though. I doubt you'll have any problems with the Tesla, unless you got one with a sunroof. :) 

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...in the other thread about grudges, you mentioned a car problem with a Toyota that was not resolved to your satisfaction.

I have some bad news for you, as a Tesla owner,  in that Elon Musk got his startup cash for Tesla by selling off his stake in PayPal, the company he co-founded.

Probably nothing though. I doubt you'll have any problems with the Tesla, unless you got one with a sunroof. :) 

I knew that about Musk and PayPal but failed to make the connection! This is a damning post if I ever read one. 5/5 stars.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I'm not surprised to hear that @jsharr 's company is scamming people on the internet with Chinese knock off fake products, but I am surprised tho hear they hired someone fluent in Mandarin.

咬我屁股蒙克
Yǎo wǒ pìgu méng kè
  • Heart 1

Yes, certainly I have a good memory.  I don't like Walmart and won't go because the founders are cheap bastard fundamentalist ultra-right wing fuck heads.  Chrysler because they suck at building cars and servicing cars, ATT because they are lying assholes and are tolerant of treating customers like crap, ALL cable tv companies, a political party of dickheads because they tolerate and encourage the worst kind of behavior and call it "right" and their actions fuck everyone over except the rich.  I quite literally could go on all night, so I won't.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, certainly I have a good memory.  I don't like Walmart and won't go because the founders are cheap bastard fundamentalist ultra-right wing fuck heads.  Chrysler because they suck at building cars and servicing cars, ATT because they are lying assholes and are tolerant of treating customers like crap, ALL cable tv companies, a political party of dickheads because they tolerate and encourage the worst kind of behavior and call it "right" and their actions fuck everyone over except the rich.  I quite literally could go on all night, so I won't.

I'm not even a registered.... well anything... but it's hard for me to argue against anything you just said.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I don’t think I’ve been to an Exxon gas station since their drunk captain ran the Valdez aground.

• Heart 1