A lot of geese in the pasture today

sheep_herder

SH do you get snow geese out your way? Usually in late December early January we usually have large flicks of snows. I don’t recall seeing them this year. Wonder if the warm winter has kept them up north?

16 minutes ago, Zackny said:

SH do you get snow geese out your way? Usually in late December early January we usually have large flicks of snows. I don’t recall seeing them this year. Wonder if the warm winter has kept them up north?

We get a few, but it is seldom.  They usually stay further east in North Dakota.

Great pics, but I hate geese.  

When I worked at Deam Lake years ago as a lifeguard we had a dive platform that was about 75 yds or so off the beach.  You had to swim out from the beach to use the diving boards.  Every morning when you went to open the diving area you had to swim out with your normal crap, (bullhorn, whistle, PFD and chair cushion) and then you had to have a big broom as well to sweep all of the goose shit off the boards and dock.  So the first few minutes of each shift were spent sweeping goose shit out into the water.  Then you would put the gear up, climb up in the chair, blow the whistle and watch all of the people swim out covered in goose shit.  You normally spend 15 minutes at each chair, rotating through all 3 or 4 and then spend 30 minutes off but when you open the dive platform you always stayed out there for the whole 45 or 60 minutes to give the goose shit time to dissipate before you swim back in.   

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t remember your location but I remember the paved trail out of Buffalo that had so much goose crap on it you couldn’t tell it was paved.

Dayton Ohio along the Great Miami River. Actually we live at the confluence of several rivers. The local park system is called Five Rivers Metro Parks.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Dayton Ohio along the Great Miami River. Actually we live at the confluence of several rivers. The local park system is called Five Rivers Metro Parks.

In 2016 I did the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure. It started that year down near Cincinnati and made a big seven day loop. The first day we rode some paved trail near Dayton.

• Awesome 1

I went on an organized bird watch Saturday.

There was a clump of about 200 Canada Geese, too far away to see with the naked eye. With my 8X binoculars it was too far away to see much more than lumps, but my new camera was able to get a clear enough picture to see 5 or 6 Tundra Swans in amongst the Canada's.  My next step is to figure out how to get the pictures from my camera to my smart phone so I can share them. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I went on an organized bird watch Saturday.

There was a clump of about 200 Canada Geese, too far away to see with the naked eye. With my 8X binoculars it was too far away to see much more than lumps, but my new camera was able to get a clear enough picture to see 5 or 6 Tundra Swans in amongst the Canada's.  My next step is to figure out how to get the pictures from my camera to my smart phone so I can share them. 

Also saw a Northern Shrike.  The photographer was in our group. His picture of this bird came out better than mine. I'll see if he posts one of the Tundra Swans.

MNusstein_98_232020114635.jpg

• Heart 1