If you're over 50 and aren't gaming -- get with it.

Dottleshead

Mausshardt is one of a rising number of older gamers in the country. A new study published in December by the American Association of Retired Persons revealed that 44% of Americans 50 and older play video games. They spent $3.5 billion in the gaming industry in the first six months of 2019.

https://www.heraldnet.com/life/gaming-in-later-life-opened-up-new-worlds-for-everett-woman/

I happily contributed $100 this year to this figure.

“When you’re playing with somebody for 15 hours in a day, you don’t just talk about the quests you’re doing,” Mausshardt said. “Life stuff comes up.”

That's almost two work days. If you add in time for lunch and a couple of breaks that is two work days.

I'd rather get outside. Nature is my video game. I like reading too.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

43 minutes ago, dennis said:

“When you’re playing with somebody for 15 hours in a day, you don’t just talk about the quests you’re doing,” Mausshardt said. “Life stuff comes up.”

That's almost two work days. If you add in time for lunch and a couple of breaks that is two work days.

I'd rather get outside. Nature is my video game. I like reading too.

Yeah, I've done a lot of that in my life.  I'm not done but -- I may try to find a video game on it.  In fact, I was thinking somebody needs to come up with a game set in Sacramento where the protagonist attempts to pluck the tree fruit from a cranky, old, former hippy's yard ( @Page Turner ) where threat of getting caught would hold the consequences of being held in captivity for days, getting stoned, being forced to repair steel bicycles, and eating hybrid grapefruit -- until you have shown penance. On the other hand, if you can continue to elude and dodge the man while you pocket bushels of fruit from his yard, you get to sell it at the market and spend it in a spree across the river at the titty bar. 

Grand Theft Auto's got nothing on this.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'd like to hear/read your thoughts on what you consider a 'life'.  I'll be waiting.

I'm guessing your "gaming" life is as or more interesting than Kzoo's "normal" life.  His likely involves a similar amount of sitting and watching, but is lacking the interacting you do :(

I'm with Dennis.  First priority is getting out and moving. Gaming, while fun, is just too much of a time sink :(

51 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

FPS games rock

Some of the funnest work memories I have are when we set up the development lab with Quake Arena and would get the team together for battle royales.  Quite awesome.

• Heart 1

I did a bit of gaming on the PC and my son with his Nintendo 64. When we moved to Windows 7, a few of the XP games wouldn’t play. Son moved out. Stopped gaming for a while. 
We got a first gen Wii for the fitness programs. We would also do Mario Kart tournaments. When the girls moved out, the gaming basically stopped though we still use the fitness part of it once in a while. Some of the guys at work will talk about their gaming, but it just doesn’t excite me. 

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

We would also do Mario Kart tournaments.

I'll still mix it up with nieces and nephews in Mario Kart!  That's some fun racing, but since it is "in the same room" sort of thing, it may be different than how much of the gaming is now done (mostly online)????

If you're between 55 and 75 years old, you may want to try playing 3D platform games like Super Mario 64 to stave off mild cognitive impairment and perhaps even prevent Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171206141648.htm

However I doubt that 15 hours per day is going to help that much more.  Getting outside for some exercise is also important.  Having conversations with others .......... important.  Reading, learning and keeping up with the modern world .........important.

Sticking to just one thing makes jack a dull boy.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I do the Word Jumble, Sudoku, computer chess and several crossword puzzles every day.  Doesn't cost anything but my time.   :)

We used to have the free papers here when you would ride the Metro, and they had Sudoku and crosswords free in them.  That was nice :)  Pen and paper is great!

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

However I doubt that 15 hours per day is going to help that much more.  Getting outside for some exercise is also important.  Having conversations with others .......... important.  Reading, learning and keeping up with the modern world .........important.

Bingo!  Nominated.

I miss the 1980's role playing, adventure, think-them-out games like Ultima 4.

I did some shoot-em-up ones like Doom I & II, but when it got to video games, I did one where you're in a Marine squad landing on an enemy ship where you're trying to recover something and couldn't really get into it.

Maybe I should try some of the new stuff, but I'm afraid I'll become addicted like my nephews.

I have to admit that I have little use for the modern first person shooter games.  I do however like some of the adaptations of strategy board games translated to the computer.  Harpoon and Civilization V come to mind.  

I do like simulations however, including flight, racing and submarine combat.  I insist in operating these in the most realistic manner possible however.  If you discover that you can lap faster by bouncing your car off the wall then you're doing it wrong.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I had a Sega Genesis when I was a teenager.  Haven't played a video game since.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It may be the distraction and stress relief you need.  Edibles first, gaming second.  Both together????

I'll bet he could rekindle the relationships with his kids. Nothing like killing hundreds of fictitious software villains to bring a family together. With a little luck, you all might just have to unite to solve a puzzle.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I'll bet he could rekindle the relationships with his kids. Nothing like killing hundreds of fictitious software villains to bring the family together. With a little luck you all might just have to unite to solve a puzzle.

There LITERALLY was a commercial for that last night!  Who woulda thunk it?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And you've yet to lay out if you have one :(

Dottie asked you what your average day looks like, and we're still wondering :scratchhead:

A day in the life of Kzoo - in Kirby style - would be great!

I'm not kzoo, he did let me smell his gym socks once, that's as close to being kzoo as I'll get, but for me, it's also partly time related.  I leave the house before 5am and don't get home until 6 or 7 pm.  I eat dinner, hang out with my wife, get ready for the next day and am in bed no later than 9, usually earlier.  When would it fit in?

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

?

Do show.

The Nintendo Switch ad where the daughter calls the dad and their playing Zelda (I think).  They are working through the game together.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZErK/nintendo-super-bowl-2020-switch-my-way-catching-up

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

I had a sub simulation game, super slow for most people but I liked it

Probably the same one I liked.  WWII submarines require an investment in patience to sneak in under a convoy that's faster than you are underwater.  Running all the way around on the surface while just below the horizon just to get in front of one so you can submerge and hope that the right zig or zag brings them close enough may be realistic, but the average squirrel couldn't do it more than once without trashing the game.

Fortunately when I spent some instructor time in Key West (Fleet Sonar School) I got to be the submarine in the surface officers ASW training simulators.  They got to where they thought they were getting pretty good.  Then came the instructor/student graduation bet.  

:P  :D  :nodhead:

"Where'd he go?"

"Where'd who go?"

• Heart 2