Why would you live in the west? (Western related)

Randomguy

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

First Nations can harvest and serve them. 

There's probably a severe restriction. A St'olo elder referred to it as "ancient fish" when he and I were chatting.  He was hired from the First Nations reserve which our major construction road bridge being built through/over.

They can become huge, strange looking fish.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

First Nations can harvest and serve them. 

When I was a kid in Vancouver, we could dig clams all day long in White Rock, harvest smelts at Spanish Banks, had spectacular numbers of Dungeons Crab in Bowser on Van. Isle, Oysters all over the coast, abundant salmon and steelhead and local lakes had trout.  Life was good. 

I have seen the same in my lifetime. I used to dig for clams as a kid but clams are non existent now. (but I know a secret spot where they are abundant on a former oil field that’s still private property).  Mackerel are nearly fished out, tuna runs are diminished, migratory sand bass are diminished, several species of rock fish & grouper are protected but incidental catches are rare, they are just gone... Salmon & Steelhead were pretty rare but non existent now. I used to fish for  Grunion that were abundant during their runs, they are rare these days...  Same with abalone, totally gone locally and I would harvest them yards from shore as a teen.  As previously mentioned sardines were pretty much fished into local extinction by over harvesting. 

Sport fishing is highly regulated, seasons are short & take limits are small.  Commercial fishing is banned but there is nothing of note left to fish for locally. We really picked our waters clean before the state stepped in and started really regulating the industry before we wiped it out.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

There's probably a severe restriction. A St'olo elder referred to it as "ancient fish" when he and I were chatting.  He was hired from the First Nations reserve which our major construction road bridge being built through/over.

They can become huge, strange looking fish.

They take up to 25 years to reach sexual maturity.  That is why the numbers become depleted so quickly.   Catch and release is still allowed.  Aboriginals though, have no restrictions.  They can catch and keep as it has been declared essential to their lifestyle, culture and survival.   They are ugly and they are delicious when smoked. 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They take up to 25 years to reach sexual maturity.  That is why the numbers become depleted so quickly.   Catch and release is still allowed.  Aboriginals though, have no restrictions.  They can catch and keep as it has been declared essential to their lifestyle, culture and survival.   They are ugly and they are delicious when smoked. 

Have you ever seen the paddle fish that they snag in eastern Montana on the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers?

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They didn’t eat this seafood crap in the old west; apparently they just ate beans and drank bad coffee that everyone complained about.  

...beans and bacon.  Bacon was big because it was salted and cured, so did not require refrigeration.  You can choke down just about anything with enough bacon mixed in.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

If you've ever pulled a Ling cod out of the water, you may never eat it again. Ugly things from another planet.

When my son was little we were fishing in Newport Harbor and somehow he caught a small ling cod?  I knew what it was but he thought he caught a mutant alien fish.  Totally freaked my kids out!  

Yeah they are bizarre looking.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

When my son was little we were fishing in Newport Harbor and somehow he caught a small ling cod?  I knew what it was but he thought he caught a mutant alien fish.  Totally freaked my kids out!  

Yeah they are bizarre looking.

Might have been a Rock Cod.  They are smaller and venture into shallower water.   Lings run deep and cold.  Much of the ugliness once caught are caused by decompression. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Aborigines do not take 25 years to reach sexual maturity, they can have children in their teens.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I did not know they were delicious when smoked. 

;)

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Might have been a Rock Cod.  They are smaller and venture into shallower water.   Lings run deep and cold.  Much of the ugliness once caught are caused by decompression. 

I’m certain it was a ling but I hear ya on the deep & cold.  Surprised the hell out of me.  We do have Lings in SoCal and I have caught them before but never before or since in that Harbor.  

The head shape & teeth were a dead give away. 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, ChrisL said:

Just curious what you easterners consider the west?  Colorado west?  Wasn’t St Louis once considered the gateway to the west which would put everything west of that?  

Just wondering as other than Dottles you guys are all East of us...

The west starts at the Mississippi, it's up hill from there to Leadville, then across a big valley and over the hill to California...wide open spaces and big hills

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

You guys and your East to West myopics. You have it all wrong. From the Pacific to the Rockies. That's the West. Case closed.

I agree 100%. If you are farming the plains, it ain’t the west.  170 years ago, I suppose the Mississippi might have been the gateway, but that line certainly moved to the Rockies way back.  

• Heart 1

More westerns tonight.  Hot actresses on westerns.  No bikinis, though.  

I also came to a non-western conclusion: if you are a criminal, it would be the ultimate embarrassment to be caught by Barnaby Jones.   Man, that dude wouldn’t be able to catch a cold in a non-Hollywood world. 

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I agree 100%. If you are farming the plains, it ain’t the west.  170 years ago, I suppose the Mississippi might have been the gateway, but that line certainly moved to the Rockies way back.  

I draw the line where many do, the continental divide. 

Really working in the field of range management, I did not pay much attention to east or west, but ecoregions. When in Oregon I worked in the northern Great Basin and the Palouse Prairie and in Montana I worked in the northern Great Plains.  However, I always found the use of the term midwest somewhat amusing, and really never did understand its meaning.

• Heart 1

I lived in the High Plains area of New Mexico for 4 years, 2 months, and 3 days. It was dry, flat, and barren. Plus the aircraft I worked on were horrible. WoJSTL was going to college in Cincinnati. I hated it. 

I did see the most beautiful thing there: Clovis NM in my rearview mirror for the last time. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I lived in the High Plains area of New Mexico for 4 years, 2 months, and 3 days. It was dry, flat, and barren. Plus the aircraft I worked on were horrible. WoJSTL was going to college in Cincinnati. I hated it. 

I did see the most beautiful thing there: Clovis NM in my rearview mirror for the last time. 

We really like New Mexico and visit when we can.