Why would you live in the west? (Western related)

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is true, though. Dallas is more mid-south, but only west in a way in that they are slightly more west and slightly less inbred than Alabama natives. 

I always thought you had to live west of Austin to consider that you lived in the west.  I lived in the south when living in Baytown, 26 miles SE of Houston.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I always thought you had to live west of Austin to consider that you lived in the west.  I lived in the south when living in Baytown, 26 miles SE of Houston.

I always thought of the Rockies as the western border.  Only the effete got scalped in Illinois, real men got scalped in Utah. 

27 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You aren’t out west. 

24 minutes ago, Dottles said:

He's right. If you're east of the Rockies... you're EAST.

23 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I can't disagree. I always thought you had to live west of Austin to consider that you lived in the west.  I lived in the south when living in Baytown, 26 miles SE of Houston.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You are practically living in New York, only someone in a plains state could  assume they are out west while living in Texas. 

You have never even seen a mountain, admit it. 

21 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Try to accept jsharr. You ain't nuttin' but an oversized Gulf state.

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is true, though. Dallas is more mid-south, but only west in a way in that they are slightly more west and slightly less inbred than Alabama natives. 

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I always thought of the Rockies as the western border.  Only the effete got scalped in Illinois, real men got scalped in Utah. 

Image result for davy crockett you may"

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I really don''t care as long as the climate is good and there are few people.

The 10 Least Populated US Counties

Rank County Population
1 Kalawao County, Hawaii 88
2 Loving County, Texas 134
3 King County, Texas 296
4 Kenedy County, Texas 417
5 Arthur County, Nebraska 457
6 Blaine County, Nebraska 482
7 McPherson County, Nebraska 499
8 Petroleum County, Montana 523
9 Yakutat Borough, Alaska 605
10 Loup County, Nebraska 609
  • Heart 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The 10 Least Populated US Counties

Rank County Population
1 Kalawao County, Hawaii 88
2 Loving County, Texas 134
3 King County, Texas 296
4 Kenedy County, Texas 417
5 Arthur County, Nebraska 457
6 Blaine County, Nebraska 482
7 McPherson County, Nebraska 499
8 Petroleum County, Montana 523
9 Yakutat Borough, Alaska 605
10 Loup County, Nebraska 609

It should be noted many of these places are literally shit holes.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I pretty much considered the Old West to begin at the Missouri River. The Union Pacific railroad’s headquarters were in Omaha. They were instrumental in getting settlers to go west so they had people to man the water towers for the steam engines. 
Dodge City was in Kansas. Texans drove their cattle to Kansas to ship them back east. Heck I regularly ride past a monument to 2 boys who were pinned together by an arrow during a Sioux raid! 
John Ford and his ilk filmed in Arizona and Utah because the scenery was prettier, but many of his stories came from the plains. 

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, groupw said:

I pretty much considered the Old West to begin at the Missouri River. The Union Pacific railroad’s headquarters were in Omaha. They were instrumental in getting settlers to go west so they had people to man the water towers for the steam engines. 
Dodge City was in Kansas. Texans drove their cattle to Kansas to ship them back east. Heck I regularly ride past a monument to 2 boys who were pinned together by an arrow during a Sioux raid! 
John Ford and his ilk filmed in Arizona and Utah because the scenery was prettier, but many of his stories came from the plains. 

Yeah until their myopic perspectives were broadened by travel and reality. I mean by those perspectives, @Kzoo lives in the Northwest fer gawdsakes.

53 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You aren’t out west. 

Just curious what you easterners consider the west?  Colorado west?  Wasn’t St Louis once considered the gateway to the west which would put everything west of that?  

Just wondering as other than Dottles you guys are all East of us...

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Image result for map of the us regions"

BTW, Texas is Texas.  Not South, Not Southwest.   Not sure what the hell is up with California and Florida though.  Everyone knows that Cali is West and Fla is South.   Maybe all the Yankees that flock to both made them aberrations.

Also some places consider Idaho the Pacific Northwest too. Or when I lived in Spokane, the Inland Northwest.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Image result for map of the us regions"

BTW, Texas is Texas.  Not South, Not Southwest.   Not sure what the hell is up with California and Florida though.  Everyone knows that Cali is West and Fla is South.   Maybe all the Yankees that flock to both made them aberrations.

No wonder you people think Canada is snowbound.  

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is callin' us
The blue bus is callin' us
Driver, where you taken' us...

C'mon baby, take a chance with us
And meet me at the back of the blue bus
Doin' a blue rock
On a blue bus
Doin' a blue rock
C'mon, yeah

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me
The end of laughter and soft lies
The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end

• Awesome 1

If I didn't have a lot of extended family I'm close to in the Mid-Atlantic, I think I'd move to Florida, Southern California, a Caribbean Island, or the French Riviera because I like warm weather.

On the other hand, with Global Warming, Maryland may become the new Georgia in terms of weather except we've got the Chesapeake Bay, too and this warm winter is going to mean lots of crabs next spring and summer!  Crab prices have been reasonably good the past two years: $35 for three dozen light crabs,  3 x $35 for 3 dozen plus a dozen free for medium heavy crabs.

image.png.414b9177a33b3b4979b6f310cab51ef6.png

59 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

If I didn't have a lot of extended family I'm close to in the Mid-Atlantic, I think I'd move to Florida, Southern California, a Caribbean Island, or the French Riviera because I like warm weather.

On the other hand, with Global Warming, Maryland may become the new Georgia in terms of weather except we've got the Chesapeake Bay, too and this warm winter is going to mean lots of crabs next spring and summer!  Crab prices have been reasonably good the past two years: $35 for three dozen light crabs,  3 x $35 for 3 dozen plus a dozen free for medium heavy crabs.

image.png.414b9177a33b3b4979b6f310cab51ef6.png

You would be surprised by our lack of seafood restaurants in SoCal.  Being near the coast you would think there would be more but they are either high brow expensive joints or Asian places. I was happy as a pig in slop with all of the great seafood places in Northern VA and would hit the inner harbor often.

So if you do decide to come to SoCal forget about oysters, crab cakes & blue crabs...

Just now, ChrisL said:

You would be surprised by our lack of seafood restaurants in SoCal.  Being near the coast you would think there would be more but they are either high brow expensive joints or Asian places. I was happy as a pig in slop with all of the great seafood places in Northern VA and would hit the inner harbor often.

So if you do decide to come to SoCal forget about oysters, crab cakes & blue crabs...

Do Hawaii. 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

That did surprise me when I was out there. One pleasant seafood was the clam chowder at Slap Fish in Laguna Beach. A nice citrus flavor in the cream that was pretty tasty!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting...lack of quality reasonably priced seafood restaurants in Sol CAl coastline? I wouldn't think of California for crabs..what type of crabs are there?

8 minutes ago, groupw said:

That did surprise me when I was out there. One pleasant seafood was the clam chowder at Slap Fish in Laguna Beach. A nice citrus flavor in the cream that was pretty tasty!

Yeah that’s a fairly new place and it is pretty good. I also like Crab Cooker in Newport Beach but SoCal has nothing on the mid Atlantic with the local seafood places.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

Interesting...lack of quality reasonably priced seafood restaurants in Sol CAl coastline? I wouldn't think of California for crabs..what type of crabs are there?

None... We have small rock crabs but we don’t eat them as they are the size of a quarter. Dungenese are popular but they come from up north.  

We do have local lobster but they are not commercially harvested and can’t be purchased in stores.  Sardines are fished out locally, actually all commercial fishing is banned except anchovies & squid in season.  SoCal is more known for game fishing, our waters were pretty much picked clean in the early 1900’s by commercial over harvesting. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

Dungeness crab is frequent in the fish markets in British Columbia...  In the Vancouver, spotted shrimp is highlighted variety at certain time of year.  I've seen King crab..which is pretty freaky see in a restaurant.  

Various salmon....though under threat for various reasons, depending on the year:  Sockeye, pink, chum, etc.  

Oysters of various types..commercial ..

Abalone was overharvested ages ago. Endangered species. So is sturgeon... I get suspicious when I see restaurant that claims sturgeon on their menu.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I get suspicious when I see restaurant that claims sturgeon on their menu.

First Nations can harvest and serve them. 

When I was a kid in Vancouver, we could dig clams all day long in White Rock, harvest smelts at Spanish Banks, had spectacular numbers of Dungeons Crab in Bowser on Van. Isle, Oysters all over the coast, abundant salmon and steelhead and local lakes had trout.  Life was good.