Since you people have nothing to stress you out...a bored update!!

petitepedal

Well..more than bored...but hey.

We got a new manager (same company) the end of November..Asked for an update on the Reserve Study being done (they started in October...we have never had one and have many repairs and a budget that needs work) Our Manager had a copy of a November e-mail in the January board packet..I asked for an update...because our board needs to be educated on a reserve plan.. And she had nothing to tell us..I had asked about it and stressed its importance at the December Meeting as well...Monday, I dug out the e-mail from the packet..e-mailed the guy...and he sent it to me...He sent it to the management company (our old manager) On Dec 16...Obviously the New manager didn't follow up as requested in December!! 

What spurred this on was the phone call on Sunday telling me that a resident had contacted the management company about someone having a woman sleeping in a car in the garage...and she was urinating in the garage (the exercise room with the bathrooms is locked from 11AM to 6AM....this call got me more stressed about all this...another board member and our caretaker saw the woman in the car and called the Sheriff for a "welfare check" but they did nothing cos no warrants on the woman..details were forwarded to the manager and according to her..she was in contact with the resident and she sent us a copy of her follow up letter to him...2 weeks ago when she was at our building she looked..but the car wasn't there...nothing (as far as I know) was done between 2 weeks ago and today!!

One Bored Member is hot about our caretaker being an old guy and not as capable as she would like...she thinks a better caretaker would make living with a poor  management company ok...and the board can just do all these things...Should people select that the board does all the work getting bid and dealing with contractors...I QUIT...Yeah we need a better caretaker...but good employees are hard to find...and this management company is not doing  much better than the last company!!

Anyone want to read a 94 page reserve study and give me your best cliff notes rendition ?

The End...well not really but enough to let you know what my non work day was like. Work was the first day of replacing all the appliances in all of the apartments 3 units a day, 5 days a week until May 4th...Busy as well....

• Hugs 2

Wow petite. 

We have an ok property management company but that's because the property manager assigned to our building is more conscientious than others.  

Reserve plan is important. Probably at state level there are some examples of problems that occur if there is insufficient reserve funds. Maybe mine for 1-2 good stories, to underline importance. The strata board need to be aware liabilities also.

Not that our building has much of a reserve fund. Just glad the treasurer (who is an accountant) ensures some of money earns some interest in fixed instrument.  

When I first lived in building....a young man was sleeping in the storage locker next to mine.  It freaked me ...when I discovered this. He was running away from home.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

One Bored Member is hot about our caretaker being an old guy and not as capable as she would like...she thinks a better caretaker would make living with a poor  management company ok...and the board can just do all these things...Should people select that the board does all the work getting bid and dealing with contractors...I QUIT...Yeah we need a better caretaker...but good employees are hard to find...and this management company is not doing  much better than the last company!!

I find we're always in the limbo of finding the proper level of management by the board over the property manager and all the contractors & board responsibilities.  We just wrapped up a near one year project that cost us almost a million dollars, and when you get into that level of spending, for our smallish community, it is a lot more effort on our part than we get paid for (da nada!).  It took about two years to discuss, plan, get community feedback, select the scope of work, pick the bids, etc, and finally kicked it off in the middle of last year, and completed it just a few weeks ago.  In the long run, it is a win for the homeowners and the board need to take action, but it was also a royal PITA for the board to shoulder the extra work.  Our property manager definitely had her ups and downs, and we sometimes had to keep on her to follow through on stuff, and that remains my biggest issue with her. However, 1) we've had worse, and 2) we could get worse, and 3) it is a PITA to retrain someone about our community and history, so I don't push to replace her.  We have another fairly big project coming later this year, but this will likely be far less intrusive to homeowners.