Do IT divisions talk to each other?

shootingstar

Rather interesting, gnarly at times. 

I did hear directly from an information business analyst internally that sometimes different groups in information technology don't talk to each other. Happens anywhere, especially in large complex organizations.  Then this was accentuated last year, when there was a major enterprise wide software platform upgrade that affected 35 depts.  I'm more part of the group that is with the business side, not pure technical.  

Now am in the midst of finalizing business requirements...for and with IT. Meanwhile there are various info. technology folks which I'm not part of techie meetings, which is ok.  I sense there may be some missing information gaps between info technology specialized groups,  information missteps,  which might be leading to contract technical consultants building a tool...for something that already exists in our organization..  

Anyway, I'm staying clear and far away from that piece.  I hope I'm wrong. Not my role to dig too deep.

I see pretty good communication & coordination with our IT dept.  Its fairly silo’d with InfoSec that runs cyber security, IT which is hardware/software & support and IT Infrastructure which is our server management.  

They all have different roles but work effectively together.  Even within our IT with software support as we have numerous internal programs with frequent new & improves processes & services they seem to be well coordinated with our production/end users.  I also saw pretty effective communication when at Raytheon.

• Haha 1

Our initial IT desktop and mobile devices online support is a contracted company call centre located in another province over 2,0000 km. east of us.  It's ok 90% of time (for me) ....it's abit of a joke when there's technology problems in a boardroom meeting.  It's like pulling teeth to get an in-person technical staff person to fix the hardware problem.  Response can be over 45 min. to 1 hr.....useless for 1 hr. meeting.  

Anyway, there are all sorts of specialized software applications...some of the depts. just have taken such staff out of IT and merged people with a whole other technical group outside of IT. For instance geospatial software enterprise-wide applications is handled by 1 whole division  (50+ people) elsewhere in organization outside of IT.  

32 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Our initial IT desktop and mobile devices online support is a contracted company call centre located in another province over 2,0000 km. east of us.  It's ok 90% of time (for me) ....it's abit of a joke when there's technology problems in a boardroom meeting.  It's like pulling teeth to get an in-person technical staff person to fix the hardware problem.  Response can be over 45 min. to 1 hr.....useless for 1 hr. meeting.  

Anyway, there are all sorts of specialized software applications...some of the depts. just have taken such staff out of IT and merged people with a whole other technical group outside of IT. For instance geospatial software enterprise-wide applications is handled by 1 whole division  (50+ people) elsewhere in organization outside of IT.  

The new IT department in town has obsoleted some of womaxx's accounting software.  Since the auditors require results in the form that software does things it's a problem.  Even the check writing printer now needs special handling.  This might not be a problem for companies flush with money and staff, but on a school budget and with a department of one who can't spend weeks in training schools for new (and expensive) software it's a problem.  But then, the taxpayers have spoken.

• Sad 1

I was on the server team at the large company. I graduated up from being a PC tech. The infrastructure groups (Server, WAN, LAN) worked pretty well together. There was often a lack of respect for the PC techs. The software and hardware people rarely spoke to each other except at the director level. WoW was an underwriter for the same company and also a tester for the software team. Her biggest complaint about the software team was most had no clue what the job actually was that they were writing software for. They would often create whiz-bang features that did nothing to improve her job, but when she would make suggestions that would actually help, they were often dismissed. I'm so glad we are both out of there. 

28 minutes ago, groupw said:

I was on the server team at the large company. I graduated up from being a PC tech. The infrastructure groups (Server, WAN, LAN) worked pretty well together. There was often a lack of respect for the PC techs. The software and hardware people rarely spoke to each other except at the director level. WoW was an underwriter for the same company and also a tester for the software team. Her biggest complaint about the software team was most had no clue what the job actually was that they were writing software for. They would often create whiz-bang features that did nothing to improve her job, but when she would make suggestions that would actually help, they were often dismissed. I'm so glad we are both out of there. 

This is a part of what I was trying to explain yesterday.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Depends on the size of the company.

...and the personalities involved.

But size, age, purpose, history, and a ton of variables come into play.  I think mergers are really tough since they often bring two distinct cultures - often two different locations - together and the messy process of blending (while still operating) begins.